epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. The first 5 weeks of Epicodus’s full-time program are offered for free. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning Ruby, Rails and React or C#, .NET and React. Each track includes Intro to Programming and JavaScript. At Epicodus, students learn how to build web applications from top to bottom with modern technologies and practices. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry.

Every track also includes job search preparation for students; support and instruction in crafting resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and online presences. Career support staff meets one-on-one with every student to review and practice interviewing skills. After completing courses, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes. To kick off their job search, graduates participate in a Demo Day where they present projects to local, hiring employers.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (157) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Start Date August 3, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    August 3, 2020 - Seattle
    August 3, 2020 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Seattle
    October 12, 2020 - Portland
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date August 4, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
    August 4, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    August 4, 2020 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    August 4, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Special)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those affected by Covid-19.
  • JS and React (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date August 4, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Note: Successful completion of Intro to Programming is necessary to enroll for our part-time JavaScript/React course. Our part-time JavaScript/React course is designed for working professionals and others interested in learning how to code on a part-time basis. Over 20 weeks, students will learn JavaScript and React.

During the first eight weeks of the program, you will learn Intermediate JavaScript skills such as how to test your code, working with asynchrony, and making API calls.
 During the final twelve weeks of the program, you will learn how to build applications with React and Redux. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. Redux is a state-management library often used with React to handle changes in an application's data.

After 20 weeks, you will have the skills to explore careers as a front-end developer and to further your own professional development.
    Skills Fund, Climb
    Minimum Skill LevelSuccessful completion of Epicodus' Intro to Programming course
    August 4, 2020 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    August 4, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    August 4, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Online
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST, SQL
    Start Date August 3, 2020
    LocationPortland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    August 3, 2020 - Online
    August 3, 2020 - Portland

I got it into my head that I wanted to learn computer programming and so I set out to learn it on my own. This proved to be wildly difficult as I had next to no direction at all in what to learn or how to learn it. After quite a bit of time doing this, Epicodus showed up on my radar, and I am really happy that it did! The format of the class, learning by doing, was a huge attraction for me when deciding on which coding school to go to. The idea of learning day by day with a partner (pair programming) was also a really great sounding idea, and it turned out to be quite a lot of fun, too!

You will mentally taxed learning the concepts and sometimes you will feel like you just don't get it, yet. Press on! Many of the concepts will become clearer and clearer to you as time goes on. You are not alone and there is nothing wrong with you. Reach out to the staff and your fellow students, and you will do just fine. A month will pass, and you will look back at previous projects, laughing to yourself that it seemed difficult at the time. That feels great! You will make friends and encourage each other through learning, the camaraderie of the students is a really awesome social experience :)

More than just learning how to program, Epicodus placed a very strong emphasis on landing your first job in the industry. After they place you in a five week internship as part of the curriculum, the awesome staff  also provide leads on companies wanting to hire new grads, job interview techniques, as well as info on the local tech communities. By taking advantage of these resources, I was able to quickly get hired at a really great company downtown with a great dev team. Highly recommended!

• Sean Niesen • Web Developer

I attended Epicodus last summer. I had very little coding experience. The first day of class I felt completely overwhelmed with the amount of information. It is now a year after I began attending Epicodus and I have had a full time salary tech job for three months. Epicodus was a quick way to get the skills necessary to get a job as a developer. One difficult thing about it is the student to teacher ratio. When I attended I think there were 60 students and 2 instructors. This meant that you didn't get a lot of one on one time with instructors. However every day you pair with another student. Some days my partner was more advanced, some days less, some days we were about even. If you want to learn the skills you can learn a lot from other students in the program.

Working as a developer is a culture and I think it just takes some time to get used to the culture and decide if you want to be a part of it or not. As a developer you spend a ridiculous amount of time in front of a computer. My first exposure to this was with Epicodus where you are in front of the computer at least 7 hours a day 5 days a week. There are meetups every week, different languages and frameworks that people use and are involved with etc. I didn't start doing well in interviews until I became interested in coding and the whole culture. I have found that it is not really just a job. I think I would have had an easier time in Epicodus and my internship if I was already excited about and committed to being a part of the culture. So what I'm saying is that Epicodus is a great program. I learned a lot, but I would recommend studying how to make websites, write code etc. on your own for a while before attending.

Also, they will put in a lot of work to help you find a job. They worked with me for months after the course was over, making introductions, helping me set up interviews. I really appreciated that, and overall I thought it was a great program.

• Luke Chinworth • Apprentice Developer • Graduate

I had a great experience with Epicodus. I moved from out of town to attend the program and it provided a great environment for making new friends. The teachers were very helpful and always pushed students to ask meaningful questions. This formulation developed thought patterns that allowed us to grow as students from helpless to empowered. Cooperation and communication are core values of Epicodus, and the pair programming reinforces these fundamental programming skills. I can’t imagine diving into programming any other way than with a partner. Having a partner allows you to learn how to talk about programming and it also keeps you focused because you are accountable to your partner and less likely to goof off. Pairing with a different student each day diversifies your communication skills even more. These by products of pair programming were vital to the success of the program, and I wholeheartedly back Epicodus as a proponent of the method.

The space itself was very nice. Bright, high ceilings, everyone in one big room chattering about programming. It gave me energy to work everyday.

The program is also very focused on helping students get placed in internships with companies on the Portland area. They bring in a bunch of companies and you get to interview with a couple of them that you found interesting. After the internship phase ends, they continue support by helping you reach out to companies looking for jr devs.

Anyone looking to get into web development, this is the code school for you.

• Jackie Fletcher • Developer • Graduate

I worked for 7 years as a meeting planner. I had a good job with good pay, but knew it wasn't the right fit for me in the long run. I knew I wanted to go back to school for awhile, but the thought of going to class for a few years and spending loads of money for some sort of new degree was in no way appealing. Fortunately I found the Epicodus program. No one talking at you from the front of the room (yay!) - instead you are living the life of a programmer from day one, which in itself is the biggest lesson one needs to learn when starting this line of work. The growth mindset that Epicodus helps preach has helped influence multiple aspects of my life and I am grateful to have been (and still am) surrounded by the support and positive/healthy attitude from everyone affiliated with the program. The class goes by fast and moves quickly through content, and it can be mentally and physically taxing. Knowing I was doing this for myself and my future definitely helped me through, and it helped develop a frame of mind that one needs on the job. You can only learn so much in 5 months, so being able to prove your ability and mentality to learn on the job is a huge aspect that I was able to take away from this experience.

• Kathryn Brown • Graduate

I signed up for Epicodus because I wanted to transition out of marketing roles at venture-backed startups into a more technical role.

I got just what I wanted at Epicodus.

The classroom environment was collaborative, and each day we worked in pairs solving difficult coding challenges. Our reading and video homework was completed at night or over the weekend, so we could spend valuable classroom time coding.

At the end of the class, I was contacted by an engineering-focused development shop, DevelopmentNow, for an internship opportunity. Together with two of my classmates, we worked on a Backbone.js mobile responsive client project, and we were all hired by the end of the second sprint. I was really excited to be an employed junior developer just a few weeks after class ended.

I learned more that just coding skills at Epicodus. I learned how to work on a project with multiple developers with git flow. I also learned how to make scope adjustments in projects and what the tradeoffs really would be - considering we only had a day or two to work on each project.

I'm also super impressed with the school's dedication to student diversity. As a women in tech, I really care about companies and schools  like Epicodus that fully embrace minority student outreach in the tech industry.

I would recommend this school to any self-motivated person who wants to change careers with a little help from a community of fellow learners.

• Alex Kaufman • Front End Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus helped me transition to a new career and offered me month of hands on experience in web development.  They are always upgrading their curriculum and are passionate about providing the best education possible.  Studying at Epicodus was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate

Epicodus offered more than any other bootcamp out there. In fact, their job-search support is nearly worth the price of admission alone.

What made Epicodus an extremely worthwhile course in my mind?
    1. Time: You spend hundreds of hours coding over the duration of the class, with other people, building actual working (for the most part) apps.

2. Content: You are exposed to a variety of programming tools, and considering the timeframe, get a rather solid foundation to continue learning once school ends.

3. The internship: The last month of Epicodus is spent at an actual company, getting a sense of programming in the “real world.” The interview process for these also helps take some of the edge off for your first tech job interview.

4. The people: The staff was great and I met a ton of smart, interesting people throughout the course.

5. Career support: Post-Epicodus, we (graduates) had amazing support from the staff as we searched for real work. The plus for job-seekers: Programming talent is in short supply and high demand. Some found jobs quicker than others, but we were in regular contact with the Outreach Coordinators at Epicodus, as they passed along job leads, interview and cover letter/resume prep, and general moral support. The luxury of being able to work on code projects while they did a lot of the job search for us, was priceless.

Of course, not everything was spot on. Figuring out how to pace yourself to keep up and retain knowledge is a real challenge. During our class, they were still figuring out best practices for running Epicodus, but constantly asked for, and often implemented, student feedback. I would have liked to have had some actual group lectures/teaching to introduce new concepts.

Last, I think it’s really important to know what you want to get out of a code school like this and what your goals are after it ends, before deciding to attend. Epicodus’ application process did a good job of giving you a sense of whether you have enough patience for, and interest in coding. The rest is up to you.

Overall, I would recommend Epicodus. It opened up a lot of opportunities and gave me a great foundation to continue building my skills.

• Tina Ramsey • Junior Developer • Graduate

About 6 months before my first day of class I decided I wanted to learn programming, but I wasn’t comfortable or disciplined enough to learn it on my own. Epicodus was so much more than I expected it would be - not only did I receive skills that advanced me far more quickly than I thought was possible when it came to learning to program, I made friends and gained a network of great people who will be with me in the industry for my entire career. I cannot recommend it highly enough. As a woman in tech, I found the environment supportive but not patronizing - in fact I felt more included there than I have felt anywhere else. I strongly encourage anyone who is ready for a life change to sign up for Epicodus.

• Gabe Finch • Graduate

I love my Epicodus family (shout out to the Winter 2015 Ruby cohort). I am extremely happy with what Epicodus provided me. If you are considering attending a code school, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a better value anywhere else in the US. Epicodus gave me a leg up on a career change into web development, taught me how to tackle difficult coding problems, and showed me that I am capable of teaching myself new languages and frameworks. In the Portland area (and perhaps beyond) Epicodus has a reputation of graduating successful developers that follow best practices and pick things up quickly.  This is not by accident. The staff is caring and from the top down everyone wants to give you what you need to succeed as a developer, including staff dedicated to facilitating your initial job hunt once you’ve graduated. Emphasis is on pair programming, which translates into the ability to work with people from different backgrounds, to contribute as part of a team, and to explain what your code is doing. It also results in the class partially teaching itself (as novel techniques disseminate through the classroom with each new pairing). I came into the program with a small amount of experience programming in other languages, but not a lot of confidence in my abilities. As with any code school, your personal motivation to become a developer is the most important ingredient. Having a computer background helps, but I also saw fellow students who came in with little or no background excel through hard work. The pace at Epicodus was reasonable, the night homework was generally 15 - 90 min. I have zero regrets about my decision to attend and I am optimistic and excited about the opportunities now available to me as an Epicodus graduate.

• Dorrit Geshuri • Organization Consultant • Graduate

I consider Epicodus to be one of my most influential life experiences of the past decade. The phenomenal curriculum, stellar teaching staff and hands-on approach to learning gave me a solid foundational understanding of programming that I continue to build on.  I use this knowledge constantly in my current capacity as a Technology Consultant; supporting clients in finding and using the most appropriate apps/technology for their needs and abilities.

Epicodus catapulted my understanding of programming and boosted my confidence in problem solving.  But the icing on the cake was how well I was taken care of after the program was over.  Michael Kaiser-Nyman, President of the school, contacted me on a regular basis to support me in finding work.  He gave me feedback on my resume and cover letters, and was my cheerleader through many interviews.  Once I started working, he still sent me an email every few months just to follow up and see how things were going.  This sort of care is so uncommon, and I really appreciated how supportive it was (and continues to be).

• Worth it
    - 4/30/2015

It is not magical, but it is worth it. Pair programming is a fantastic experience. I do not think any complete noob can became job ready in 9-15 weeks. Epicodus is a great start. Affordable and well structured. There is a lot of places for improvement, but they are continuously worked on. The material is online, you can look at it. Epicodus is one of the few transparent bootcamps. You can actually make an educated decision, whether it is for you or not.

• Mike Piccolo • VP of Development and Technical Co-Founder at ProHub • Graduate

Here are the facts about my time at Epicodus:

1.  I got a job as a consultant at a Ruby on Rails shop within a week of graduating and has opened the door to a career.

2.  This was by far the most I ever enjoyed a class of any kind.  I could not wait to wake up get to class and start coding.

3.  I made a bunch of great friends.

If you were to ask me if Epicodus was worth it I would answer that it is a no brainer.  Absolutly worth every minute and dollar I spent.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 43 graduates included in report:

87% of job obtainers reported salaries. 5% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Job Outcomes Report here