devpoint-labs-logo

DevPoint Labs

Las Vegas, Salt Lake City

DevPoint Labs

DevPoint Labs teaches 11-week full-time and 11-week part-time full stack web development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. The full-time class is part of the University of Utah Professional Education school, and covers HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, and more. The part-time class is available at the DevPoint Labs Salt Lake City campus and at the University of Nevada, and covers a very similar curriculum. DevPoint Labs' approach to learning combines pair programming with traditional lectures and a mix of group projects, lean methodologies, hackathons and one-on-one mentorship from instructors.

DevPoint Labs is aimed at students with little to moderate experience in web development. To apply, candidates fill out the short application on the website, then chat with a staff member about their motivations. Once accepted students will need to complete pre-work before the first day of class.

Leading up to graduation, DevPoint Labs prepares students for finding a job with mock interviews, workshops, guest speakers, and a Launch Day to showcase their projects to potential employers. Full-time students at the University of Utah Professional Education program will receive a completion certificate. Part-time students at the University of Nevada will receive a UNLV Continuing Education certificate.

DevPoint Labs offers student housing to all out-of-state students on a first come, first serve basis. The house is located less than a mile from the campus, and comes furnished with all utilities paid for the duration of the camp.

Recent DevPoint Labs Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (141) reviews for DevPoint Labs →

Recent DevPoint Labs News

Read all (24) articles about DevPoint Labs →
  • Part-time Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course puts a heavy focus on JavaScript, React, and front-end web development. We are one of the nation's highest reviewed program in accelerated web development with emphasis in the most desired and growing skills like javascript, react.js, git, mongodb, react native and more in web development. Even though the course is part-time, the pace is rigorous (bootcamp for a reason) and only for the motivated individuals that wants to gain skills that will add value to their career and life. Our campus is at Church & State co-working, a collaborative environment for students to get their CODE ON before and after class. Taught by industry experts, you'll learn from passionate instructors co-instructors, and TA's who are contributors & leaders in the development community. DevPoint Labs is unmatched in the nation when it comes to student experience, value, community, and advanced curriculum.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech Scholarship & Opportunity in Tech Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • UNLV Part-time Web Development Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, PHP, JavaScript, Sinatra, Xcode, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Front End, Ruby, MVC, Agile, SQL
    LocationLas Vegas
    Partnered with University of Nevada, Las Vegas - DevPoint Labs is powering a part-time web development coding bootcamp. This 24-week program is geared towards working individuals with a flexible schedule of nights and weekends. Learn from one of the top coding programs in the nation in the latest web development technologies and tools. Curated curriculum will cover full-stack web development.
    Student Loans through MACU
  • U of U ProEd Full-time Web Development

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSalt Lake City
    In today's digital economy, coding skills are the most demanded across all types of careers and professions. Forbes and LinkedIn noted that those with full-stack web development skills dominate the pay scale and employer desirability. University of Utah Professional Education is excited to bring our students a full-time Web Development Certificate Program, powered by DevPoint Labs. DevPoint Labs was founded by University of Utah graduates as the first full-stack web development program in the state. This course will be held at the DevPoint Lab's Campus in downtown Salt Lake City, located in Church & State Co-working. This full-time, intensive program creates proficiency in back-end and front-end web development through hands on training. Learn multiple programming languages and programs centered around web development like HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, ReactJS, React Native, Git and more. https://devpointlabs.continue.utah.edu
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech & Opportunity In Tech Scholarships available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge GED or Equivalent
  • User Experience Design

HTML, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationSalt Lake City
    *THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY NOT OFFERED* Being able to express design ideas by utilizing sitemaps, user flows, and wireframes is a skill that is in increasingly high demand, and a requirement for any serious career in interactive design or product management. In this course, you’ll receive knowledge and skills in topics like: how to analyze business and usability requirements from a user perspective, drawing solutions with Sketch and best practices for common design patterns such as home pages, forms, search and navigation.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union

Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge & some design experience.

There is little to no Job Assitance here and almost no prep for interviews or resumes best practices or job search strategy ect... I have had several tech interviews that didn't go so well after graduating and have just had nothing but disappointment on the job search. I didn't realize upon graduating that these kinds of questions and puzzles would be so important to master.  Other coding camps around the valley have dedicated teams to assist you in the strategizing the career shift from a previous role to that of a web developer successfully. I have friends that took full-time courses here from the year before and they have still to find work in a "hot" field. Two of them confirm the same, Job assistance is nearly entirely non-existent. All of us spent time and money and sacrificed full-time jobs to move onto something better only to have no support at the end.

I am just writing this review because I want to be honest and I want people to know what to really expect from attending DPL, at least from my perspective.

First of all, I want to say that the instructors are great and I will be forever grateful for their support during the 10 week cohort (yes, 10-week, I will get to that later). Even though the instructors definitely know what they are doing, the teaching style and pace may not work well for a lot of people.

When I initially spoke with the people at DPL, they made it seem as though we would have instruction for basically 8 hours each day, then we would have homework to turn in each night. When I started class, I was pretty disappointed to find out that there was only really 3 hours of instruction (sometimes maybe an hour or 2 more, but rarely) and the rest of the time, you do homework and can get help from TA's. Most TA's are students from previous cohorts, so they are still kind of new to everything also. Expect to spend at least an hour if you need help. You won't get help from instructors unless the TA can't figure it out either (those are the "rules"). I expected to get some feedback on homework as well, but never really did. They also don't give you an example of working code most of the time, so if you are stuck and can't use a TA, you just have broken homework.

The pacing is really fast, but you are aware of this coming in of course. I honestly feel like I would have done better and learned more if we focused on really understanding concepts or fundamentals rather than skimming over a few things here and there. That's what the class felt like to me, skimming. Never actually really learning anything (deeply). I've heard from students from another bootcamp (in Lehi) that actually understand JS. They don't learn as much "fancy" stuff but at least they understand the fundamentals to be able to learn other stuff on their own. I would have preferred that. I feel like I know nothing very well at all.

Make sure that you are getting your time and $$ worth. This is supposed to be an 11-week cohort. Unfortunately I attended during the Holiday season. When we signed up, we were to graduate around January 20th. A few weeks into the cohort, they told us that they had changed the graduation date to the 12th. We were all a little confused, and a little angry, but they assured us we weren't missing any time or instruction. I had recently counted each and every day we should have had class, as if there were no holidays. We should have had 54 days of instruction. We ended up having 48. We were cheated out of 6 days (one m-f week and a day). So our cohort was only 10 weeks even though we were assured 11. We should have counted the days while we were still in class. Maybe they would have refunded the $1,200 (yep, it's $1,000 a week to attend).

After attending and realizing how much I paid for what I know now, I wish I would have done a bit more research or just taught myself with the vast amounts of free resources online. I am not sorry for going into the direction of software development, I think it is a good idea if you are looking for a change. I am just not certain if DPL is the way to go, especially for the price (their price is avg for bootcamps). I am weary of bootcamps all together at this point.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

After working dead end jobs for years, I decided to change my life. I was contemplating going back to school to get a CS degree. While I was looking into this I meet some developers. They had all gone through a bootcamp, and were now working in the industry. Some were working in automated QA, Junior Developers, and a couple had made it to Mid Developer after a short while.

I was intrigued and starting looking into it. There were a couple to choose from. I talked to quite a few devs that I knew and worked with. After looking over the bootcamp's curriculum, the majority of them leaned toward DevPoint Labs.

I applied to DevPoint and scheduled an interview. After talking with them, I realized that I wasn't ready to go. I wanted some practice before I started, and my financials were not in order to quit my job for three months.

I spent a year getting my life together in order to do this. I also spent that year studying. I feel like this helped me out immensely. I was familiar enough with the topics that I didn't feel behind during the cohort.

I loved the experience. The instructors are great, the staff is great. I came out with a whole new skill set. I'm now a web developer. I couldn't have done it without DPL!

• On the cusp
    - 12/16/2016
    Anonymous • Senior Developer • Graduate

Dev Point Labs teaches you how to think like a coder. I was stuck in the front end developer world and the only thing that got me out of that was this boot camp. I wasn't as dilligent with the pre course work as I should've been so during the course a lot of key concepts went over my head. I did under the big picture and how all the components play together. As a result, I am understand the smaller parts as I review the notes after graduation. I find myself getting more excited with what is possible every day. Dave's decision to move React into the course work is nothing but inspired and I feel extremely confident with my employment opportunties going forward. Do yourself a favor and do all the diligence ahead of time to prepare for this course, and when you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help.

I am currently attending DevPoint Labs and I absolutely love it! I am in the full stack rails course and it is intense. I am really enjoying the course, I have learned so much and appreciate everything we have done to prepare me for a career as a developer! I feel like everything we have learned is very up to date and that it will be useful to know in my future hobby projects and career! Before this class, I didn't even know how to teach myself more programming and now, through all the skills and experience I have recieved, I am set and ready for the future! Thank you so much!

• React is Love
    - 12/6/2016

Having taken the daytime Ruby on Rails and also attended the evening JavaScript course I can attest to how great the instructors, program, and curriculum are. Dave Jungst and Jake Source are React and Rails experts and are both great teachers and developers. I'm also really happy that they decided to teach React, as I ended up getting a great job where I use React extensively several months after graduation. I feel that they are doing a really good job of staying on the front edge of the tech curve so that students can learn skills that will be useful in the coming years. DevPoint also cares a lot on helping you not just learn one language or framework, but learning how to continue to learn as every company has their own tech stack. I've also seen all of the work they have put in to help students improve their job placement skills thanks to the help of Mark Anthony. I wouldn't recommend that everyone become a developer, but I would recommend that everyone who knows they want to become a developer to check DevPoint out! They have a great community, instructors, and curriculum!

- 11/10/2016

I had a great experience with DevPoint Labs.  I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is looking to make a career change into web development.

I wasn't able to go all in and take the full time class so I opted for the after hours web class. Even though it was part time it still demanded a lot of my time outside of class. So be weary about that and I noticed the students who didn't do so well never put in the time outside of class. Just goes to show you only get out what you put in. Anywho, the reason why I chose DevPoint is because of their curriculum, the amount of support I received, and I guess the excitement and energy I experienced on campus. I really liked the fact that I was learning the latest in javascript like react and redux. This was big for me because personally I like to keep up with technology trends whether in coding or all the gadgets I obsess about. I know I learn best when I have someone to ask questions to help me think about how to solve my problems. This is exactly what you get in and outside of class. A side effect that I didn't think I would care about is the energy and excitement I felt around campus. I would do this again just so I can be around people that want to work hard. It really is contagious. DPL rocks!

• Michael Bach • Graduate

DevPoint Labs in Salt Lake City, Utah was well worth the time and money. Before diving into the full-time course, I reached out to alumni, researched other options, and then made the plunge. I was, of course, a bit nervous about what the course would look like, and if it would be a worthwhile investment of both my time and resources. There is no way I could know what I know now without the instruction, experience, mentorship, and active alumni group present through DevPoint Labs. I still have many questions, and I don't know everything, but I know how to troubleshoot and find the answers I need to move toward success. The team and DevPoint will be there for you, support you, and work their tails off to ensure you get the most out of your experience. The limitations of this program are your time and your willingness to stay engaged and keep moving along and listen to those advising you.