devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (282) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (32) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.

• Joseph Hutch  User Photo
    Joseph Hutch • Software Engineer in Test • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In 2017 I realized my career was stagnating and I was making no forward progress. I quit my job thinking I would be able get a new job in three months. Three months later with over a hundred applications, one call back and no interviews, I signed up for the DevMountain QA course. Three months later I had a new job that put my career back on course. They provided me with certifications to show that I was skilled. assistance to build resumes that would be reviewed and how to succeed in interviews. I wouldn't be where I am now without DevMountain.
  • Would recommend
    - 5/27/2020
    Anders Lofgran  User Photo
    Anders Lofgran • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, my experience with DevMountain was great. I miss being as immersed and loaded with new knowledge every day. The curriculum is packed with quality content. Only a couple of days did I feel like what I was learning wouldn't be useful. Breakfast on Fridays, game nights and the campus itself was great to have. I don't know what other boot camps are like, but I'm happy with what I paid for at DevMountain.

The instructors and mentors I had were amazing (Matias, Andrew, Cole, and Scott). They were very knowledgeable, available, and helpful. Cohort wasn't so large you couldn't get help quickly.

Information from on-site recruiters was just ok. It could have been due to COVID-19, but I didn't feel like there was enough in terms of job prep or support.
  • Dave Jacobsen  User Photo
    Dave Jacobsen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose DevMountain because it was the only in person iOS immersive bootcamp that was out there. The fact that they provided housing is what allowed me to attend being that I don't live in Utah. I was in the cohort that was in person for 3 weeks before they had to turn fully remote during Covid-19. While I think in person is always better because you're in a classroom and it's more motivating when you're physically around other students when are learning with you, I do still think that moving online worked pretty well in terms of the learning.

The instructors are all very solid. Most of them have actually gone through an iOS cohort in the past with DevMountain so they know the material very well. Karl, the head iOS instructor, is a great guy and an excellent teacher and communicator. Typically there are 2 mentors assigned to each cohort who do most of the teaching and help with projects. They do a good job of being available and offer good help when it is needed.

Campus
    From what I understand, they are moving to a new campus right around now but the old one worked great and I'm sure the new one will be even better. The housing is solid too. It's nothing too special but worked fine for me.

Course
    The course content is overall very good. I felt like the pace and how they increase the difficulty overtime suited me very well and I learned a lot. Each of the first 6 weeks is kind of it's own unit and there is an assessment every Friday on that weeks material. Most Fridays I felt very accomplished at how much I had learned that week. They try and set a pace that is good for the most amount of people which means it can be too fast or difficult for some and too slow for others this is to be expected and I think they did a good job with this. It is not uncommon for several people in a cohort to either drop out or decide to stay back and restart with a new cohort if they were falling behind. Initially I was surprised when I heard that people drop out but I think it's just the nature of the game. Coding isn't for everyone. It's very difficult and takes a lot of hard work. It's my belief that the vast majority of times someone drops out, that it's not because DevMountain did something wrong or mishandled a situation, but that it's typically a situation of the person realizes it's not for them or they don't want to do something that is as difficult as coding is for the rest of their life and that's fine.

Everyone who goes into a bootcamp needs to be well aware that it takes a ton of work and is hard. This was apparent to me coming in but it seems like there will always be people who don't have a great awareness of what they are signing up for and then really struggle when it starts.

I think what was helpful for me was the hands on environment. Pretty much all the information taught you can find online somewhere but the structure, the forced class time and project time and the environment of other motivated students and instructors are a great way to learn and learn fast. I believe that's one of the biggest benefits of any bootcamp and I benefitted from this a lot and tried to ride the momentum as far as I could.

Job assistance and placement
    I am in my last week of the bootcamp so it is tough to say exactly what the landscape is for jr iOS devs right now with everything going on with the virus but overall job prep has decent. The main benefit for me was help with getting my resume done and LinkedIn more tightened up. A lot of the general job and interviews tips seemed pretty basic if you've been in a professional workplace before.

With graduation in a couple days, I of course don't know exactly what it's like to work as a jr iOS developer but I would like point out that I don't feel like I know enough and have enough skill to go in an be a competent jr developer right off the bat. I think this is because even with 10-12 hours days for three months, there is still just so much you still need to learn to become competent. I would say I was one of the top students in my class but I still feel like I have a decent ways to go before I truly believe I'm competent. Of course anyone who's ever gotten hired as a jr dev never feels 100% competent and employers don't necessarily look for only that when they hire.

However DevMountain provided a very strong base for me to continue my learning on my own. I think everyone should iOS at DevMountain or any other course as a start and expect that you have to continue learning and developing your skills beyond that to have the best chance at getting hired.

I am really grateful for my time at DevMountain and it was 100% the right decision for me.
  • Amazing Bootcamp!
    - 5/12/2020
    Dylan Goss  User Photo
    Dylan Goss • Freelance Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at DevMountain was nothing short of being spectacular. From the curriculum they cover, to the one on one time mentor time, I could not come up with any complaints about the program. Even after you graduate from the program, DevMountain has a dedicated outcomes team solely focused on helping alumni hired. I have speccifically working with Christian Dickerman and Joseph Mecham on interviewing practice, resume work, and just the general hiring process. I can say that without the help of Christian Dickerman and honestly, the entire DevMountain Outcomes team, I would be no where near the position I am currently in. I would highly recommend this bootcamp and all of their staff to anybody looking to get into coding the non traditional way.
  • QA - Immersive
    - 5/7/2020
    Jason Pritchard  User Photo
    Jason Pritchard • Software QA Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the Immersive - QA course in Jan-Feb2019,  I was nervous due to having no experience other then construction and warehouse.  It turns out I loved it, It was a lot of work and it was a big gamble.  Luckily the instructors we're helpful and caring.  They even spent some time upon my request to go back over a few things which help my confidence level a bunch by the end.  I even maintain my relationship with them and talk with them monthly.

After completing I took a unpaid internship at a startup while I looked for work, it didn't last long. I got hired 1 month to the day of completing based on the networking I had done which was part of curriculum of the course.

It's been a year and a month since I completed, my life is completley different now. I make 2x more money then I've ever made in my life,  I actually am excited about the job I do and its interesting and challenging.

The company I work for prefers DevMountain QA's opposed to other applicants due to the skill set that course teaches.
  • Preston Jenkins  User Photo
    Preston Jenkins • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Devmountain did a great job delivering what they said they would. I did a lot of research beforehand and was satisfied that my experience matched the research. Great facility, staff, instructors, mentors, and peers. I felt like a bought a product called Devmountain and am so glad I have continuing access to those resources I had as a student.
  • Jay Sargent  User Photo
    Jay Sargent • React Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    DevMountain was exactly what I needed after I had a pretty rough university experience. They have dedicated mentors, teachers, student advisors, and overall staff who all know their stuff.

They don't promise that jobs will be handed to you if you complete the boot camp. They focus on teaching you how to learn code, and how to get a job - which requires much more than just completing any boot camp. But they teach you how, and what employers are looking for!

Everyone I know who took the advice of the DevMountain, worked hard, and took every single day seriously (including after the bootcamp) got a job within a year, many within 1-3 months. Myself included. I took the Web Developer camp, but 2 members on my team at work went through the UX program and had raving things to say about it. We all wear our DevMountain shirt with pride.

Their price is cheaper than most other bootcamps, and much cheaper than Universities.

The curriculum is currently React / Node focused - but as I said before they teach you how to learn so there is no limit after DevMountain for what you can teach yourself.

The community on slack is more than willing to help anyone out with any question, no matter the technology used.

It is possible to learn these skills without DevMountain, but their focused course, onsite staff, and focused / intense atmosphere is exactly what I needed to succeed, and I could NOT have done this without them (and many others who I've talked to agree.)

I came from a coding background (two years of university and growing up building simple websites), but there were other students in our cohort who had zero coding experience and excelled. All of us learned and grew immensely here.

I would highly recommend DevMountain to anyone wanting to seriously get into coding.
  • iOS Developer
    - 3/31/2020
    Carson  User Photo
    Carson • iOS Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great experience with great mentors who are there to teach you everything you need to know to get a job. They care about helping you and do everything they can to succeed. Intense long hours, waterhose amount of information, but you learn 2+ years worth of information and experience in 3 months
  • Jesse Badgley  User Photo
    Jesse Badgley • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    You need to be prepared to learn a lot! I mean a lot. You won't learn everything you need in the lectures, so you need to be prepared to study and continue learning after hours. I graduated in December, and it was hard to find a job. I didn't get hired until March, but I am so glad I didn't give up hope. I now have a great job, and I am making more money than I ever thought I could right out of boot camp! I want to thank DevMountain for helping me change my life for the better!
  • Jason Jones  User Photo
    Jason Jones • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I entered the Dallas DevMountain web development program with little coding experience. I had experimented as a teen (10+ years ago) with some very basic HTML. I'm technically inclined with computers but my previous work experience is largely food service, customer service, and team management. DevMountain's campus was excellent, the staff clearly enjoy what they're doing, and I loved my time in the program. Today I got the phone call I'd been waiting for: I got a job! DevMountain hosted a hiring event a few days after my cohort's graduation. This event put me in contact with recruiters and developers alike. This event let me create contacts with recruiting agencies and ultimately with the senior developer of the company now hiring me. The job prep workshops helped me establish my resume and take the skills from my previous fields and turn them into marketable, useful skills for my new field. I loved DevMountain; I recommend it to anyone looking for a bootcamp. My only complaint: some of the curriculum materials are not perfect. This is outside of the control of the staff working at the Dallas location. At the end of the day, it's the instructor's job to introduce you to the concepts and provide you with structure. Your job is to connect the dots and do the work to learn the material so I never found myself hindered by the curriculum materials. I believe the staff makes the difference and at DevMouintain they certainly did. Thank you Mykenzie, Katie, Brittany, Eric and Jacob!
  • Mr
    - 2/28/2020
    Rico  User Photo
    Rico • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    hello, I’m a recent graduate from DevMountain. I want to take this time to say thank you! DevMountain was an amazing learning experience for me. For someone coming into coding from a new career, I’d say definitely give DevMountain a try. From the professional staff to the campus, not once was I discouraged. I was given great hands on experience with building projects as well as very helpful mentors who know the subjects. The course work was great and very understanding also. I especially want to give a round of applause to the PHX mentors Ms.Hatch and Mr.Kent who were able to step up to the plate through a difficult transition and still provide us students with professionalism and a good learning environment! THANK YOU ALL at DevMountain
  • Bailie Ewell  User Photo
    Bailie Ewell • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was exactly the program I was looking for! They provided me with housing which was a nice benefit. I was in a small cohort so there was lots of personal attention, and it was a relaxed atmosphere to create, and ask lots of questions. I gained lots of experience presenting in front of people, and getting feedback on my designs. Collaboration was a big part of the program, I gained a lot of learning experience working with people. The outcomes department is great. They often reach out to me to see what they can do to help, and they are able assist with anything. Devmountain is a network of amazing people working toward the same goals who are willing to help each other along the way. It is a great environment. I would recommend this course to anyone. I love Devmountain.
  • Austin Karren  User Photo
    Austin Karren Verified via GitHub
    I am really enjoying the web dev course here in Lehi. I love the immersive experience that this course provides. There are times that it can be challenging but I enjoy the curriculum and I am excited to learn more.