devmountain-logo

DevMountain

Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

DevMountain

DevMountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. DevMountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for DevMountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. DevMountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

The goal of the courses at DevMountain it to prepare students to successfully enter these computer focused fields. DevMountain holds events such as a Meet & Hire Employer Lunch and a demo day to help students network and find a job.

DevMountain provides student housing included in the tuition. The furnished apartments are walking distance to the campus. DevMountain education can be financed through a loan and they also provide some educational scholarships.

Recent DevMountain Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (249) reviews for DevMountain →

Recent DevMountain News

Read all (28) articles about DevMountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    Lehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    DevMountain has partnerships with Climb and SkillsFund.
    Programming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Once accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    Lehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    Lehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Lehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.

• Luke Schunk • Front End Apprentice • Graduate

I went through a sort of mid-life crisis at Dev Mountain. About halfway through the cohort I looked at Course Report and read some of the recent negative reviews and this got my mind racing. Maybe I made the wrong choice. Maybe DevMountain isn't as good as it once was...

I'm happy to say I was wrong about all of this. For those of you who care about getting-a-job- results: Two weeks after graduating from DevMountain I landed a Front End Apprenticeship at a company called MX. MX is a fast-growing startup that is super well known in the Salt Lake/Provo area. It really was my top choice to land this apprenticeship, and I made that known to the career-building team at DevMountain (specifically Jeff Chapman) and they helped me land this.

This isn't to say that this career opportunity was handed to me on a silver platter. I worked hard. I did things that other people in my cohort didn't - i.e completed open source projects, networked, and just generally dove into the material.

However, I also didn't go insane. I wasn't up everyday till 2AM working. I would go to class. Work hard for a few hours after class, maybe put in 5 or so hours on both Saturday and Sunday and that was it. I also had almost no prior programming experience.

The curriculum and the instruction was great. I read a recent review that talks about 'instructors fumbling with bugs in their code'. I guarantee that anybody who live codes is goign to fumble a bit. Bugs come up, that's the nature of live-coding. I found that the instructors genuinely cared, and the curriculum was great.

The kinks that were in the curriculum were more like growing pains that are caused by the fast-moving nature of Web Development. I mean this stuff moves fast. One day it's flux, the next it's redux, and who knows what it will be tomorrow. DevMountain instructors and mentors are really thoughtful about implementing stuff that will apply to the web dev world today.

I'm going to cut this review here, but seriously, if you have any doubts about attending devmountain contact me. I found that the overall support, learning style, and project-based-learning environment were a better experience than my time spent at USC (university of Southern California) which is a top tier university,

• Odie • Sofware Developer • Graduate

DevMountain lived up to its offer of being able to start a new career after going through their intensive three-month web development program. It was a very tough course that required many hours and dedication for three months. However, those of us who successfully made it through learned much more than I thought could be done in such a short amount of time. I walked away feeling comfortable with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Angular.js, Express.js, Node.js, jQuery, Git, and MongoDB. We got a taste of other things like React, Firebase, and D3 as well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome as I was able to get two job offers within two weeks after graduating. I accepted one of those offers to be a Software Developer for a company that came to our "Meet & Hire" Lunch sponsored by DevMoutain for graduating students. I will say that getting a job this quickly is probably not the norm from what I have seen. I was fortunate enough to be blessed with an opportunity that happened to correlate with previous industry experience I had before deciding to make a career change.

I believe that DevMountain prepared students well for getting a job, but it is still up to each student to learn as much as they can, become proficient in web programming, and make themselves marketable through social media such as LinkedIn and through networking. DevMoutain also does a great job preparing students for interviews and having a good resume and LinkedIn profile. They have someone dedicated to helping students get jobs, which is a great resourse.

• Dakota Corbin • Graphic Designer • Graduate

I recently completed the Immersive Web Development Cohort at DevMountain. Going into the program, I had strongly debated between Development or UI/UX, as I am a very big design guy. I decided that I was confident enough in my design skills and that I wanted to learn something completely new.

The course at DevMountain opened up my eyes to so many new possibilities. I was nowhere close to being the best student, and honestly was probably in the bottom half of the group. However, I was able to gain such a great understanding for how full stack development works. I have no doubt that if I would have dedicated myself more to the program, that I would have excelled so much more in development.

I am now a designer for a premium clothing company, and I was able to get this opportunity through a friend I made at DevMountain who got a job as a developer for this company as well. I work very closely with the development team, and because of my time at DevMountain, I am able to communicate with them in technical terms in relation to coding, etc.

I am definitely looking to continue to develop my coding skills, but I wouldn't trade my experience at DevMountain for anything. Regardless of how well I did in the program, it opened doors for me, and I am not getting to do something that I love every single day.

It's all about how much effort and dedication that you put into it.

I would recommend DevMountain to anyone.

• Nel • Graduate

This course, or "cohort" as they called it, was riddled with inexperience, lack of preparation, and apathy.

More often than not my class would arrive early ready and hungry to learn.  The instructor would show up 15 - 30 minutes late and start looking for what today's lesson was.  It was not uncommon at all for the instructor to just adlib his way through the material.  Material that he didn't know we would be covering that day until he walked into class.  Instructors would make several mistakes, fumbling around until their code worked.

What makes all of that worse was none of the instructors cared.  It's quite obvious that at one time the provo location was a good thing and people felt prepared to continue in a programming career path after completing it, but those instructors and that curriculum is long gone.  In fact, if you look at the instructors they have listed as teaching their cohorts on their website, you are being lied to.  None of those instructors work for the school anymore, all that is left is assignments they wrote and study sheets they created gone over by someone that doesn't quite understand what the original author was trying to help the students learn.  It really makes me sad.

DevMountain employees what they call 'Mentors'.  These are former graduates that attend the classes and are (in theory) there to assist the instructor and help the students with questions, problems, or just give ideas when they get stuck trying to write some difficult code.  This also was NOT the case.  The mentors would sit in the back working on their own projects and seemed genuinely annoyed if we wanted help.  This caused a few students in my class to reconsider early on and leave the camp with a partial refund.

Their classes used to wrap up with a final-project show and tell night of sorts where all the students were excited to show the project they had built during the last 4 weeks if the camp, as well as see others' projects.  Students learned from what others had done and were able to improve their own work as a result.  Unfortunately this too has become a shell of what it was.  The organizers take all the shortcuts they can so the night feels like a quickly organized intramural meeting where no one really has an idea what the program is.  But hey they brought food right?!

After leaving this school I really wish I had gone somewhere else.  There are a few opportunities just like DevMountain in the Provo area and I feel like I would have learned a LOT more attending another camp.  I would strongly recommend exploring other options if you are considering attending a programming boot camp.  You CAN learn a lot from other sources, I am not going to stoop to the level of endorsing any of them in this review, but I have attended another camp since DevMountain and it was exponentially better.

Monday, Feb 15 2016
    Sorry to hear about what sounds like a very underwhelming experience. I would love to hear more from you so I can better assess what went wrong in this cohort and how we can address it.

Please reach out so we can chat: cahlan@devmounta.in
  • george • Graduate

As a recent graduate of DevMountain, I thought of writing a review with my experiences only after getting a job! It is kind of selfish of me, but that is a reality. Well, I didn’t have to wait too long! I got a job offer from a reputed company within one week of graduation! This company was amongst many others who had been invited for the employer meet-and-hire event hosted by DevMountain. The event provided me with a great platform to interact with these companies and showcase the applications that I had worked on personally and in a group.

Their course syllabus is carefully built to give you the most learnings and a joyful experience executing it. I was in their full-time immersive Web Development course. They focused on the MEAN stack that is so in-demand today. This way you can go in-depth with JavaScript across the application layers making you very adept at it. I can attest to their approach since going depth-first helped me become skillful in developing full-stack applications and deploying them. Not only that, I can now quickly draw parallels to other technologies out there and find it easy to conquer them too. DevMountain’s approach makes sense to me, it is very effective and I love it.

DevMountain’s syllabus also provided a much needed chance to work on a personal project mid-way into the course and also on a group project towards the end. With my personal project, I got a chance to implement all that I learnt from their instructors and mentors. DevMountain’s instructors and mentors have a lot of industry experience and a great passion for teaching. This helped me a lot since I got distilled knowledge and real-world application best practices that otherwise would have taken me years to achieve on my own. I got my money's worth many times over right there. Their group project provided me with an experience of working in a team as I would in the IT industry. There are so many things to learn from the dynamics of a team that you would only when put in one!

DevMountain is also unique in that they provide free and fully-furnished housing! For me, the housing was so close to their campus that I could walk over every day and come back in the evenings. My wife was very relieved to know of this accommodation by DevMountain. It freed up my mind too of all worries with regards to my safety and convenience of stay. I could remain focused on achieving my goals. I am forever grateful to them for that.

Absolutely nothing comes to my mind that DevMountain could have done better for me and others in my class. I attribute a big part of my success to the learnings I had from their experienced instructors and mentors. They are the best out there. Getting a job within only a week of graduation proved it for me and hopefully it will for you also.

The Web Development job market is so hot right now and it is only going to get hotter. If you want to get in and invest your time learning, you should do so judiciously. There is absolutely no time to waste! So, if you are still on the fence, you shouldn’t be anymore. I believe my experiences with DevMountain will help you decide your next course of action. I wish you all the very best indeed.

• Good Experience
    - 2/1/2016
    Jared • front-end developer • Graduate

I was a student of the first cohort for the 13 week web immersive course in Dallas, TX. Being the first cohort in a new city/location, there were obviously some growing pains at first.  However, things really started to come together and students began picking up more and more skills along the way.  I am quite certain that the next cohort will have an even better experience.

My favorite part of the program is getting to meet and work with a wide variety of people.  Personally, I think it is cool to meet people from all walks of life and to learn about their beliefs, interests, and goals.  Our class was fairly talented as a whole and I’m happy I was able to work alongside them through the ups and downs of a long and trying "journey" (seems silly since it 3 months doesn't seem that long in the grand scheme of things but it was a journey nonetheless).

I had a great time and am glad I came out here to Texas to be a part of something new and different.  Everyone knows Devmountain in the community and there are people more than willing to bust their tails to help you out.  I landed a full-time salaried job before the program was over due to connections I made while in the program.  These opportunities are out there, so if you want to jump off the cliff with me...come out to Texas.

• Jeff

I loved being at DevMountain. I learn best when someone is in front of me, helping me, guiding me, teaching me. In a classroom setting. In person. So, DevMountain was exactly what I was looking for.

I was lucky. I was part of a great cohort that all gelled really well. So we all worked together pretty well. Obviously, there were a few people who seemed to be less dedicated than others. I am going to keep in contact with the people in my class forever. A big part of DevMountain is that you get out what you put in. I really wasn't expecting a job because I had heard that some bootcamps actually don't get students a job. But, I worked hard and was able to get a good job after the program. The teachers were amazing and always there to answer questions or give help. I definitely attribute my job now and my knowledge all to DevMountain.

I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of tech opportunities, so DevMountain really ended up being a great option. Yea, it is in Utah, but it wasn't that bad. Also, with the free housing, the affordable pricing, and the quality, it is definitely the cheapest and best option.

I loved my experience at DevMountain and I would recommend it to people who want a more hands on classroom approach. DevMountain's campus is awesome. Plus they have a sweet coke machine. I loved my campus and the people there - my life has definitely changed because of it, and I can't thank them enough.

• Best Decision!
    - 12/14/2015
    Mark • Jr Web Developer • Graduate

Attending DevMountain is one of the best decisions I have made.  I starting building my first website over a year ago not knowing anything.  I was so proud of what I had created and loved coding that I decided I wanted to change careers and become a web developer.  My plan was to go back to school and get a masters in computer science (I have a BS in Math).  Then, my brother told me about DevMountain, and after doing some research and looking into other dev boot camps, I decided to apply.  Way less time and money than getting a masters.  I learned more than I could have imaged in only 3 months.  I do think that having a background in Math helped me a ton.  Now, I have a skill that will help me for the rest of my life.  And DevMountain works hard to help you find a job.  I am very pleased with the outcome and would recommend DevMountain to anyone who has a passion for creating things and solving problems.  I would suggest doing a little coding before applying to make sure it is something you love.  There are students who find out during the course that they don't really enjoy it.

• Ok
    - 11/21/2015
    Trent • Domo • Graduate

DevMountain was ok, if your looking for a career maybe go to school first. I have only gotten a response from a handful of companies and they all say the same thing "I need more exprience". It's quite a bit of money to spend if your hoping to get a career out of it, which most everyone looking into it is looking to get a new career out of it. If your going just to learn coding its probably worth it, if your main goal is a job it might not take you in that direction. Just something to think about before you spend the money.

Hi Trent,

If I had a dime for every time a Junior Developer was told they "need more experience..."

It's a tough pickle. You need experience to get your first dev job, but your first dev job *is* your experience. It's probably one of the toughest hurdles to face coming out of a code bootcamp for anyone.

We've got some great job assistance resources in place. Have you utilized them? Jeff Chapman has a great program for helping people to get employed, and our 90% placement rate is a pretty good indicator that it's working.

Would love to chat and see if we can get you where you want to be. cahlan[at]devmountain.com
  • Seth • Software Engineer • Graduate

DevMountain put all the pieces together to make this an option for me. I was considering leaving the state for several months, without the ability to work and pay $12k+ for tuition. Instead I was able to stay here, still work and pay a fraction for a high quality coding education that has opened the biggest/best door in my life. I never completely understood enjoying a job/profession until I became a developer. Thanks to DevMountain I have a solid foundation and intense passion for programming plus a well-paying career I love!

• Mikkel Davis • Web Developer • Graduate

Maybe I don't make great life decisions, but attending DevMountain was one of the best I've ever made. What do I mean? Well, maybe I shouldn't have gone to law school. Too late now. I dabbled in web dev during my undergrad, but for a variety of reasons didn't pursue it. I finished law school and tried practicing law for a year and decided it just really wasn't for me. Don't know why I couldn't have figured that out sooner. Oh well. I heard of people landing sweet jobs soon after DevMountain. So I decided to embrace the nerd in me who wants to build awesome stuff, solve buzzles, and sit in front of a computer all day and get paid for it. I attended DevMountain in Provo full-time from May to August 2015.

Are coding camps for everyone? No. And DevMountain is always looking for ways to figure out how to admit students who are the most motivated and the most likely to succeed. There are many individuals to whom programming principles will not come easy, or ever, no matter how hard they try, or not matter how hard instructors and mentors try to polish curriculum or devote individual time. So, of course some students will get super frustrated with the material. That doesn't mean they should quit trying after the program is over. And it also doesn't mean that the school is to blame.

There are myriad reasons it may be difficult for someone to get a job in web dev. Experience, portfolio, personality, interview skills, networking. DevMountain specifically states that they do not guarantee placement. Nobody except Hack Reactor does. But hey do promise job prep resources, which they had plenty of and they have more and more every day. Studies show most jobs are landed by way of networking, etc. I got lucky I guess, because I just landed a job from an online application, with the only web dev experience on my resume being from what I did at DevMountain, and working as a mentor for a couple of months thereafter.

For the person who is ragging on placement for DM4, my cohort, they should keep in mind that DevMountain's placement stats are based off of 3-months out, and based off of those who are seeking full-time web development positions. The 3-month mark doesn't happen until next week. I hope this review is helpful, and not too responsive to other reviews. I don't think this place should be a pseudo-forum.

My experience has been that the value DevMountain provides is unbeatable. Was everything perfect? No. Could I put together a list of complaints or things I would do better? Yes. But the 5 stars I am allocating for each category are based off of value. If you have any other questions, I can be reached at /in/mikkelrd

• DevMountain
    - 11/11/2015
    Jack • looking for work • Graduate

I went to DevMountain part time cohort in Provo. At the time they only had part time and there website stated that they had a 95% hire rate so I figured I would give it a try. It was hard and I put a lot of work into. I did not get a job out of it, and I worked on bettering myself everyday for nearly seven months while applying all over. A lot of the reviews have been stating that its becuase we are trying to better our selves and that we expected to get a job without putting in the work but I went jobless with a wife and two kids living at my in laws thinking Ill just keep putting in the work and it will work out. I did this for nine months and only getting one interview and they didnt want me for the lack of time I had as a web developer. My mentor was pretty good he did help a lot and I really enjoyed him. The first day of class was terrible, the teacher was all over the place and even told us the next day that he was in a funk and was sorry for not making much sense, which is ok mistakes happen, however he jumped right into the next lesson when no one understood the first lesson leaving many of us in the dust trying to figure out what to do, and when you just spent $4000 its probably not a good thing to be in a funk.  The teaching was ok, you got about half and half when it came to good teachers. The owner was by far the best teacher and whenever our class had him the whole class seemed to get back on the same page and progressed in our skills, and he seemed to really care that we succeded. They had lectures all the time for the full time class from people who worked at tech companies in Utah but part time never got any of that, I really felt they spent majority of there energy on full time and part time kind of got left in the dust. They also treat you like your not trying or spending enough time outside of class if your not doing well or if you write a negative review saying you didnt get a job, they make you feel like your the one doing their program wrong. Like I said above I went to the university and studied everyday for almost 7 straight months staying up on what I learned so its not becuase I didn't try hard enough. I did like Devmountain for a lot of things they did give me some pretty good skills. Also there is no job assitance afterwards, they had us all sign up for a website were they would post jobs for us to view and apply for and they did that for about a month with a handful of jobs and that was it for job assistance, once I finished DevMountain it was pretty quiet in the job assistance field. I didn't write this review to bash their were a lot of good things Devmountain did do but I have seen all the reviews and didn't like how everyone with five stars said the people who are giving lower stars is because they expected to get a job and didn't try hard enough. I've put a lot of time and energy looking for work and keeping up on the skills I was taught. I wouldn't go again but if your good at coding honestly it would probably be a good place to learn some things and help on your resume but for starting into it thinking i'm going to change my career and make a lot of money, it might not happen so think about it before you drop the money.

Jack,

I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience, and I'm even more sorry that you aren't where you want to be job-wise. Please reach out to me and let's figure out how to get you on a better path. cahlan[at]devmountain.com

I realize that not finding employment can be really demotivating and hard. We've got a lot of resources in place, including a new part-time program meant for advanced graduates, that I think can help a lot. Not to mention we have a pretty large repository of resources to help you brush up your skills and get ready for employment.

Please reach out so I can help. Best of luck in the meantime.
  • Eric Richards • Developer • Graduate

I got my BS in marketing a couple years ago and couldn't stand the shady digital marketing company I was working for.  My wife had come to DevMountain a year earlier and suggested that I give it a shot, as I was starting to become interested in web development myself.

I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  DevMountain isn't easy.  You've got to dedicate yourself and hold yourself accountable for everything you learn as well as everything you don't.  I had no experience whatsoever with web development when I went in, but I came out feeling competent and empowered.  I spent my fair share of nights up until the wee hours of the morning breaking my code, debugging, and just about losing my mind over missing commas and misspelled methods, but it was worth every minute. My mentor and one or two of the instructors made themselves available outside of class hours, when they weren't even on the clock, to help me whenever I came up against a wall.  I've never been in another environment so nurturing and intellectually stimulating.

I currently mentor at DevMountain, but I do freelance work and work fulltime as a developer at an unaffiliated company in Provo as well.  Even though DevMountain was explicitly clear that they don't guarantee jobs, they gave me excellent assistance and helped me meet employers.  They gave me some contract work as well while I was still looking for a fulltime position somewhere else so that I'd be able to build out my portfolio.

The recent negative reviews I've seen here are almost laughable.  Many refer to DevMountain's "marketing team" and most don't give any actual information about the writer's (not writers', I suspect) experience with DevMountain.  Also, in response to another reviewer's question, I do in fact notice a pattern in the review dates, namely that there has been a huge jump in similarly-worded negative reviews in the last week or so after over a year's worth of positive ones.  Best of luck to you, friend.

• Best Choice Ever!
    - 11/10/2015
    Dustin Myers • Software Engineer - SendOutCards, LLC • Graduate

I am so happy I chose to go through the program at DevMoutain. I've worked too many dead-end retails jobs, or sales positions that pay commission only. I really didn't know how I was going to give my family the life I wanted. So, after living below the poverty line for years, I was talked into considering programming.

When I found DevMountain, I was really excited with the prospect of changing my life in such a dramatic fashion. I have a 4 year degree. I was taking on leadership positions, and working my way up with my current company, but the hours and pay were horrible! So of course the life of a programmer was really intriguing. And the success DevMountain has had with their students has been amazing.

Here is what I will say for the school:

OVERALL: I loved the experience! I thrive in the type of environment they have created. You have to work hard, and push through the stress, and the intense, accelarated learning curve, but if you do, the sky is the limit on what you can acheive! The top students are those who are putting in tons of extra hours, and really pushing the limits on what they are learning and doing. And I love being surrounded by people like that. It just helped me to push myself even further!

TEACHERS: I loved the teaching style of DevMountain. We would be taught a principle, then we would have a chance to put what we just learned to practice. It is definitely project-based learning, with a lot of hands on practice and experience. I loved it! It does tend to be a little harder for some people, but in the end, even those who have a different learning style than I were doing really well. It just takes pushing through the stress, and the hard moments when you feel like you aren't getting it. The teachers were really awesome programmers, and even though each have a unique teaching style, I learned so much from each one. I love that we got to learn from some of the top programmers in the area!

CURRICULUM: As I mentioned, the class is project-based. There are new projects everyday to work on to practice what was taught in the morning lecture. So each day I was putting to use what I was learning. The projects are relavant to what is going on in the programming world, and I often look back at my projects now, as a mid-level software engineer with a great job, to see how I solved certain problems, or set up certain things, etc.

JOB SEARCH: This is an area that was really important to DevMountain, and you can tell they are working really hard to constatly improve student success after graduation. I know a TON of grads who are working as developers now, and are very happy with where they are at. I've seen some of the negative posts recently, where people have said that students aren't getting jobs, and that you shouldn't go to DevMountain. I don't think that some people going into a program like this realize that it may take a while to find that first job, and as the time gets longer, if they are not still working on projects, and practicing and learning, it will get really hard for them to find a job. Unfortunately, those people will probably give up, and then try and find someone to blame. From what I have seen, those who are putting in the extra time, and working hard in class, and continue to work hard afterward, and don't get discouraged, find a job within a couple months or so of graduating. That is most of the students, because everyone comes in to the program wanting to make the same changes in their lives. I can go on and on listing grads who are working, and are so happy about their new lives! Don't listen to the haters, and if you come to DevMountain, don't be one of the very few that don't put in enough effort, both in the class and after graduation, and give up on finding a job.

SUMMARY: After my time with DevMountain, I only interviewed with 3 companies, and I got fantastic offers from ALL THREE! I took an awesome job with a really fun team, and I am getting paid about $20,000 more that I expected coming out of DevMountain. I am only a few thousand dollars short of tripling my income. All within about 6 months of leaving my last job! 6 months! I have tripled my income, have awesome hours and benefits, and I wake up excited to work, and do what I do!!! I worked crazy hard to get to where I am at, and I have no doubt at all that anyone who does the same will see the same results. DevMountain gives you the opportunity to be very successful in their program, and afterward. This really is a ticket out. Seriously! You can totally change your life! Here's my warning and advice... Take that opportunity seriously, and give it all you've got. It will totally pay dividends in the end!

• Not the best
    - 11/10/2015

I'm disappointed to say the least. I'm also not surprised about all the negative reviews lately. When I signed up for Dev Mountain they had good reviews and things looked promising. My experience was different. The marketing department blatantly lies and I'm confident is the reason behind a lot of these positive reviews. The lead instructor who I was excited to learn from left a few months ago and the replacement is still trying to get adjusting. Mentors are nothing more than former students and are always busy so it's hard to get their help. Overall I wish I would have come to devmountain earlier on as I think it's best days are behind it.

Hi Anonymous,

I'm sorry your cohort didn't work out well for you. I'd love to chat to see how we can help. cahlan[at]devmountain.com

Our mentors, although former students, are one of the reasons we have a 90% placement. Our instructors are simply not able to keep up with the majority of student requests, and the mentors are in a great position to help, having gone through the program so recently. There are a lot of studies that reinforce this idea of peer learning, and if it didn't (normally) work so well, we wouldn't do it.

I don't see any specific examples of how you felt like our marketing was deceiving, but please let me know so I can either clarify or fix those concerns.

Finally, I'd love for you to come back, free of charge, and have another crack at it. I'm confident we can get you the resources you need to get where you want to go. Would love to talk.

I am really surprised that DevMountain has such a high score. After reading several reviews online I decided to attend DevMountain thinking I made a great choice. However, I was really disapointed by the program. Let's first talk about instructors. They claim on their website that they have several website but I only saw on full-time instructor and several guest speakers. Then they claim that they have lectures all day by the instructors which is not true. Instructor only gives lecture for one hour the rest of the day you spend your time on your own. Mentors are available to help but you need to wait for them since the class is over crowded. Some of the mentors are not even qualified to be there. Instead of helping they will confuse you.

Also, they claim that thier students find job whitin three months which is not true. If you go on linkedin and look for their students majority of them are jobless.

My advise, do  not make the same mistake which I did, go find some other bootcamps make sure to reseach and actually attend the school for  a day.

Anonymous,

I'm really sorry you were so disappointed. Let me see if I can address some of your concerns:

I would never advocate a learning environment where we have "lectures all day." That would be a really poor learning experience, and you wouldn't be very good at actually building anything if you simply went to lectures all day. We want to get your hands on the keyboard as much as possible.

I'm sorry your class seemed over-crowded, we usually do a really good job at keeping student help requests in check, but there are definitely times where it gets busy.

I can definitely vouch for our placement rates. At the time of this writing, of the 104 web dev immersive students that indicated they are looking for jobs within three months of graduation, 94 have been hired by tech companies. So I stand by our placement rate of 90%, and we have some great job placement people and resources in place to ensure that our students' outcomes remain very positive. Have you reached out to Jeff lately?

I'd love to chat to see if there's a way we can help you get to where you want to go. Please drop me a line at cahlan[at]devmountain.com and let's talk.
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I am so happy that I took the  class at DevMountian. The teachers, top professionals from the industry, were awesome, and cared so much for our success. After graduating, I got hired right away to work on some awemome tech, and it has completely changed my life. I have so much more time to spend with my family, I am having so much fun and really love what I do, and I literally tripled my income. I completely recommend this program, and this team to you. Turn your life around!

Devmountain is a great program for those who already understand code and have experience coding. I went into the cohort thinking I could start from a beginners level and gain enough experience to get a job. This was not the case at all. All the people who came into the class in the same situation as me either quit weeks in or finished the class and weren't enough close to having the skill set to get a job. If you are going to do the class, make sure you already know how to code well, and just want to refine your skills.

Wednesday, Jan 13 2016
    I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience, Anonymous. Please reach out to me at cahlan[at]devmountain.com so we can help.

I can definitely speak to us educating beginners, because many of my favorite success stories from students come from those who had little-to-no experience when they started. Here's a recent one I received from G. Roberts:

"I'm much happier in my job, I'm in a field that I will be able to find a job where I can work from home which will be extremely valuable next year when my wife goes to grad school and I can take a larger role at home.

It's just insane thinking about the financial and personal gains that have happened since I joined Dev Mountain, before I wasn't happy in my job, I was stressed out because I knew if my employer wanted to get rid of me they could easily replace me therefore taking away my bargaining power. I was worried about finding a new job with a better employer.

Short story, best money I've ever spent, my wife and I are extremely grateful for the program that you guys have built, I seriously think about it everyday and how much it's changed my life and my family."

If you didn't get what you needed to out of your class, let me know. We have lots of resources to help you get what you need and on the path you're looking for.
  • Hard but worth it.
    - 11/4/2015
    Marcus Brown • iOS Developer • Graduate

I graduated from the summer iOS immersive cohort about 1 month ago. I started with absolutely no coding experience or knowledge and was able to land a job interview the Monday after we graduated and was extended a job offer 2 days later. I now work full time at an awesome company contributing on an app that I actually use. DevMountain is definately hard, it took 60+ hours of my time a week and there were days I wanted to quit. You definately get what you put into it, if you show up everyday and do all the projects you are going to learn. If you take days off or dont participate in the lessons you will fall behind. Overall I had a great experience, DevMountain has great people and is a great learning environment, that being said it is always evolving, the curriculum is always changing and the program is always getting better. Something that has, in my opinion, really increased the value of the program is the job assistance. Jeff Chapman did a great job of putting on a job fair/ demo day for my class and I got my job as a direct result of the connections I made on that day. So for me it was definately worth the time and investment.

• Daniel Falabella • Front end developer @ Jane.com • Student

THE RESULTS:

• First week after DevMountain, I got 10 interviews and got 6 job offers

• I ended up taking a job at Jane.com where I literally tripled my salary

• I've build and deployed 3 full blown projects from end to back -- one of them (Mailpants.com a Mailchimp clone) has sent over 300,000 emails since I built it 3 months ago.

• I've been a major contributor at my startup (did all front end work at Toastio.com, Untorch.com)

• I wake up and do what I love each day

• I continue to be contacted by recruiters each week (Domo and Amazon among others)

DEVMOUNTAIN:

Is DevMountain for everyone? Definetively not. If you are one of those people that expects the world to feed you with a golden spoon, you will hate DevMountain, and you probably hate your life too.

But, if you are willing to work hard, and if you find interest in computers (programming, html/css, etc.), I honestly, cannot think of a better place to launch your career.

MY STORY:

I started doing some html/css for my startup, and found that I really really liked it. So I want to a few Universities to see if I could get some formal education on computer science. All respectable Universities rejected me (partially because I already had an undergrad education -- B.S. in Business). And the few where it was available where bad Universities or Institutions where they also required me to take an additional 2 years of irrelevant courses before I could dive into CS.  Not to mention that all formal education would require 2 - 4 years of my life and a considerable amount of money and sacrifices.

DevMountain, on the other hand, was (comparing it to a formal education) waaaay more affordable and only a three month program.  Don't get me wrong, I had a conversation with my wife in which we decided to approach my DevMountain education as my "master's degree."  While some students were leaving at 5pm every day, I was leaving at 2 am. While most people arrived at 9 am, I was already coding by 8 am. While some students did the work once, I did it 2 or 3 times. While some people took the weekend off, I was there all Saturday. I freaking loved what I was doing I was having dreams about code, and (sometimes) would wake up with some solutions to a problem I was facing.

Why do I mention that? You really get out of it what you put in. But there is no way I could have done it without DevMountain.  I tried it for a few months before, and it sucked. The environment was just perfect for me: The instructors were great and super accessible (I still stay in touch with several of them). The mentors were extremely helpful and knowledgeable.  They listened to my concerns and made some adjustments to make sure I was happy with my learning. The facility was legit.

P.S. I'm not saying getting a formal education is a bad thing. It just wasn't for me.

THE STACK:

DevMountain's focus on the MEAN stack is right on. MEAN is a great first stack -- strongly recommend it.  I also recommend trying different things as you keep maturing as a programmer. You should never stop learning.

WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?

Knowing the outcome of Devmountain, if you had to go back in time, would you take DevMountain again? That's an obvious yes.

CONCLUSION:

Is DevMountain a 5 star school? Based on my story and results, you tell me.

• Nathan Falcone • iOS Developer • Graduate

DevMountain was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had no prior experience in any type of development before starting the program. All I had was a passion to start a new career in mobile development and the drive to make the most out of my experience at DevMountain. DevMountain gives you all the tools you need to succeed as a junior developer, and continue to grow and learn, long after the course is over. It is up to the developer to put in the hard work and take advantage of all the resources available to them. The few people I know who disliked their experience at DevMountain were the ones who put in little effort and expected the most out of it. DevMountain one of the best bootcamps out there right now. They do more for their students than most bootcamps, with housing and financing throught the school. That was the deciding point for me, and I don't regret it one bit!!

I was trying to make a career change. So I tried DevMountain. At the end of the course, I knew javascript, Angular, and node,  I got a web development job, and I love my work!!!!

Instructers are very knowlegeable. Mentors helped me stay motivated when I am getting stuck. :) Overall, very friendly environment to learn.

Going to DevMountain really changed my life drastically.

I had no computer science background. So there was a lot to learn. But I was provided precourse material which helped me to have basic knowledge I needed to have to catch up with other students who are more tech savvy. If you are excited and proactive about learning, DevMountain will be perfect for you!!!!!

• Good but not great!
    - 10/19/2015

I was a student at Devmountain in 2014, I had high hope for employment and honestly Devmountain made us think that. Going into Devmountain I knew nothing, I did the precourse work which helped but didn't really get me going, it basically just got me familar with tags and what not. During my time at Devmountain the teachers didn't really teach. Most the time they would live code in front of us and we were expected to catch onto what they were teaching and I felt if we didn't catch on they blamed it on us not trying hard enough on our personal time to learn.

When I applied for Devmountain their website said 95% hire rate, I know for a fact only about 5% of my class actually got a job, many of us felt cheated decieved. I even had a teacher during one of my classes tell us " I don't think Devmountain would want me to say this but majority of you are not going to get a job". For just spending close to 5,000 bucks not to mention quiting a job and relocating to Utah, that wasn't something I was wanting to hear. Also they would have us do stuff to help us gets jobs, one example was writing up a resume and they would look over it. I sent it to the teacher and he never looked over it, and honestly most of the teachers were that way. I had one teacher that would avoid me, because I asked to many questions. Devmountain is a 75% teach yourself school, a lot of the time the things I learned were from watching youtube or figuring it out my self. Half way through the program I was wondering why I need Devmountain when I felt like I was teaching my self. I felt I should have just took 3 months off of work and taught myself vs spending the money. Most of what Devmountain had us do was watch youtube video or google it. I had one teacher that would sit in the back of the class and any time you asked a question he would say google it, and when you did and still couldn't find the answer he would repeat his google it phrase.

Do I think Devmountain is worth it? No, I do not. If your thinking about going to get an awesome paying job and sweet career then think again. In the words of my Devmountain teacher "Majority of you will not get a job from this". So take it from a Devmountain teacher and don't come if you expect a job unless you all ready know how to code then it will probally help you get a job, if your starting off fresh with no skills then stay away if you think its the path to $40,000 + a year. If your just going to learn some new skills and nothing else then you will probably enjoy it(maybe not for the thousands of dollars you will put into it). 75% of Devmountains coding is self taught the other 25% you do get help so its up to you if the investment is worth the 25%.

Teacher help--- D- (the owner and maybe one other were the only teachers worth your time, everyone else wanted to show how smart they were and ended up not making sense.

School ----- c+( there were some good things about it, mainly the professional photos they took of us!)

Price----- f+(You spend more time teaching yourself then they do helping you)

I did like my time at Devmountain, but all these problems were real and I wanted to let people know whats it really is like before they decide to go to Devmountain or not, I hope it helps.

Wednesday, Jan 13 2016
    Anonymous, I'm sorry your After Hours experience was not what you hoped. Please reach out to me at cahlan[at]devmountain.com so we can help. We have a lot of resources we can use to get you where you want to go, including videos, more practice projects, free courses, and the like. I'm confident we can get you on a better path.

I'm really sorry you felt cheated. We've never lied about our placement rates, although we started tracking them solely on Immersive programs because it was too murky in part-time classes. Many of those students already had jobs, and it didn't seem right grouping those into our statistics.

We do have students spend a lot of time on their own, mostly because the more time students spend with their hands on the keyboards, the better off they are. Us lecturing the whole time wouldn't get you very far.

You might be interested to know that we recently enhanced the After Hours curriculum and extended the class to 16 weeks instead of 12. You might remember, but you're always welcome back to sit in on as many classes as you want, free of charge. Otherwise, please let me know how I can help and what you're looking for. We've had enough success stories that I'm confident we can make this right and be something positive in your life.
  • Anonymous • iOS Developer • Graduate

The school is set up to teach beginniners. You do have to come in with some knowledge because they hit the ground running. Overall, they provide a super solid foundation and prepare you to enter the workforce. Just like any other bootcamp what you put into it is what you will get out of it. Overal, a splendid experience.

• Worth every penny!
    - 10/5/2015

I just finished the Web Dev Immersive course in Provo, and DevMountain met or exceeded every expectation I had. This is a school that is invested in your success more than any other program I've ever been a part of. One of the things I like most is that they are genuinely trying to constantly improve. If one of the lessons was a bit over people's heads, the lead instructor would come in and spend the afternoon answering questions and clearing things up. If you want to get into coding, this program is as good as it gets!