devleague-logo

DevLeague

Honolulu

DevLeague

DevLeague offers full-time and part-time courses in full-stack web development and cybersecurity in Honolulu, Hawaii. DevLeague aims to provide mentorship and advanced technical training to motivated individuals seeking a career path in modern technology. Students will learn in-demand technical skills and DevLeague can connect students to hiring managers to get their career start in the software industry.

Potential applicants should be highly motivated and comfortable with the basics of technology, and DevLeague encourages both beginners and experienced developers to apply. Applicants will need to fill out a short online form, and then have a conversation with the DevLeague team about career goals and how to achieve them. Prior to acceptance, applicants must pass a coding challenge.

DevLeague offers an intense curriculum and intimate experience for students, where mentorship and community are important. Upon completion of a course, students will have a significant portfolio of project work and breadth and depth of knowledge showing what they are capable of producing. DevLeague also has employer relationships in place to help students find employers who are excited about recruiting DevLeague students.

Recent DevLeague Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (41) reviews for DevLeague →

Recent DevLeague News

Read all (7) articles about DevLeague →
  • Cyber Prep

Git, Python
    LocationHonolulu
    Cyber Prep is a four week course designed to introduce you into the world of cyber security and to get you admissions ready for our Cyber Security Professional course. We’ll start off with the basics of computer hardware components then cover operating systems, networking, Bash and programming in python. This course is a not prerequisite for the regular Cyber Security Professional program, however, we highly recommend Cyber Prep for anyone that is interested in learning more about cyber security and it greatly increases your chances of completing the technical challenge if you are new to the field of IT.
    Tuition PlansTuition is $499
  • Cyber Security Professional

Git, Penetration Testing, Ethical Hacking, SQL, Python
    LocationHonolulu
    Part-time 34 Week course Start: May 13, 2019 End: Dec 28, 2019 The Cyber Security Professional course is an immersive and accelerated training program with a focus on creating the next generation of cyber security professionals with core competencies in the following areas: 1) Critical Thinking and Application in the realm of cybersecurity 2) Structured Analytical Techniques in the realm of cybersecurity 3) Network, Operating System, and Application attack vectors and countermeasures Our curriculum has been designed and vetted from professional experience across the highest levels of national security organizations and is compliant with the NICE.
    Deposit$1,450
    Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPayment Plans Available
    ScholarshipLow Income Assistance Scholarship & Female Hacker Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelUnderstanding of technology
  • DevLeague Prep

LocationHonolulu
    DevLeague Prep is a 4-week deep dive course designed to give beginners with no programming experience an opportunity to learn the basics of coding through an introduction to front-end web development. The coverage of the course includes a hands on and thorough approach to HTML, CSS and JavaScript. All of which are skills necessary as first steps for a career start as a software developer, an industry that is high growth, high-salary and in-demand.
    Tuition PlansTuition is $735
  • Full Stack Javascript Part Time Session

LocationHonolulu
    Part-Time 30 week course Start: Jun 3, 2019 End: Dec 28, 2019 This 30 week program is designed for individuals that are looking to make a career switch into software engineering but can't quit their day jobs just yet. Students will: 1) Learn a thorough understanding of the various components, protocols, tools and technologies that make up the current web application landscape. 2) Build extensive experience in front-end development including multiple JavaScript frameworks, as well as a thorough understanding of HTML5/CSS3 capabilities. 3) Have a personal GitHub portfolio of functional working applications to showcase their work and acquired skills and progression over the duration of the course. 4) Be prepared for topics and methods utilized in industry tech interview standard processes. 5) Learn to be comfortable working in a team collaboration environment for both effectively communicating ideas and working with group members towards defined goals using industry practices, procedures and tools. 6) Be well versed in best practices and procedures for writing quality web application software in a number of environments and languages common in current web development environments.
    Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPayment Plans Available
    ScholarshipLow Income Assistance Scholarship & Female Hacker Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelUnderstanding of technology
     Dev League has helped to introduce opportunities that would have normally been out of reach for me.  I had no prior coding experience, and before Dev League, there was nowhere in the state that could give me the necessary experience and knowledge, in a relatively short time, that would allow me to enter the tech industry.  The great thing is that it did not matter where I came from, who I was, what I knew or who I knew.  All that mattered was that I wanted to learn.

I participated in the part-time course, and although class was three times a week, I would go to class mostly everyday to work on projects, and also worked on it in the evenings at home.  So if you really wanted to, you would be able to turn it into a full-time gig.  It was fast-paced, and we covered numerous topics.   At times, it did seem overwhelming.  It was definitely one of the most challenging things that I have done, but the training they gave us not only to code, but to learn how to solve issues has been invaluable.

Russel, Jason, Jon, Kelli, Ray and Tony are always supportive and available for any assistance we may need.  They are all well connected in the start-up community here and have introduced us to many different opportunities. It is evident that they are genuinely interested in our success, as even after completing the course, they continue to offer their guidance and expertise.

I would highly recommend Dev League for those who are serious about coding.
  • More Than Paradise
    - 12/16/2014

I was a member of the second cohort. We were a part-time program. Our cohort lasted 26 weeks. This format has many positive qualities and man not so wonderful qualities. If you are considering DevLeague my suggestion is to go for the full-time program. What you sacrifice in intermediate opportunity cost you will make up with experience and income on the back end. Maintaining a working schedule in addition to DevLeague's rigorous class and project schedule was a continual challenge. I would also add that this format does not allow participants to approach the number of classroom hours that the full-time program does so you end of getting less for your money in terms of hours of class time. But like anything you get what you put into it. The teachers were always available so you could easily make that up on your own time by going into the DevLeague space and hacking on a project and getting help.

In terms of curriculum, it was very much project focused with lecture time kept to a minimum.  We focused almost exclusively on the javascript stack. We worked with every technology that is mentioned on the website. The variety of concepts, tools and applications that we used to build our projects were always leading edge and industry relevant. The curriculum directly translates into industry ready skills. Most importantly, however, you will learn that the tools are always changing and you will learn the process of continual learning. This is perhaps the underlying message of the program: never stop learning!

As far as support goes, the instructors were awesome and I view them as personal and professional mentors. They were extremely knowledgeable about the technologies. Most importantly they possess the patience and grace to work through even the most tedious of problems with a smile. Outside of class, DevLeague is an important part of the technology and startup ecosystem so you get to meet lots of interesting people doing a variety of things. My imagination of what was possible continued to expand through these interactions. This is important since the entire time you are wondering what the next step is. The team at DevLeague is always exposing you to people to help you answer this question.

As far as outcomes go, I had 3 interviews lined up within one week of class completing. I only interviewed at one place and received a soft offer. However, since I planned to continue learning I declined the remaining interviews. I have no doubt that if I stayed in Hawaii or had returned to the mainland for work, regardless, there would be plenty of opportunity as a dev. Nevertheless, my plan is to attend a data science program and I can say that without DevLeague that would never have been possible. I can tell you that during the application process to this program, they were impressed that I was able to implement solutions to the problem in node.js. Most data science is done in python and r and they were surprised to see someone use the command line to curl api's and run algorithms through a node repl. I solved the problem slowly by trial and error working my way towards the solution by testing for what works and what does not work. I'd say it was a very good example of the way DevLeague helped me learn how to tinker my way to a solution by trying different approaches to see what works. This for me was a whole new way of thinking.

DevLeague helped me certainly to develop industry ready skills. More importantly, they taught me how to reimagine my own learning process and the taught me to reimagine how I solve problems. This is what I take from the program.

• "AWESOMENESS"
    - 11/30/2016
    Anonymous • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I came into Dev League with absolutely no experience. In the beginning I always questioned myself if this was the right decision for me. I took that leap of faith and joined, and I never looked back. It was the best decision of my life. All the instructors were so helpful and patient with me, knowing that I came from no coding background. They made sure that I understood all the concepts and helped me through all my obstacles. I would reccomend anyone that is looking for change in their lives, join Dev League. You wont regret it!

I left the San Francisco Bay Area to learn to code at Dev League and it far exceeded any expectation I had of what a coding bootcamp could be.

At times it was incredibly arduous and you will feel like you won't be able to make it through, but the instructors are always helpful and the amazing community surrounding it immerses you into a world of programming .

I had very little coding experience before doing the challenge they provided, but I knew I made the right choice from the first day. Three months later and my choice has brought out a myriad of skills in me that I didn’t even realize I had!

I live in Melbourne, and General Assembly is 5 minutes walk from my house. Yet I chose DevLeague. Here's why:

1. Instructor to Student Ratio

DevLeague has 2 full time teachers and 3 teaching assistants every day. My class had 8 students, so that's nearly a 1 : 2 teacher:student ratio.

2. Coverage of topics

DevLeague covers A LOT. It is a 6 day/week, 12 hours/day course. Topics included:

- Front end: HTML, CSS, Sass, ReactJS, AngularJS

- DOM

- JQuery and Bootstrap were deliberately not covered to teach us how stronger fundamentals, i.e. how to do things the "hard way". The idea is that you should only use outside frameworks where necessary and to understand their limitations.

- XMLHttpRequests (using APIs)

- Server side: net, http and Express

- Templating Engines: Jade, fs

- Databases: SQL, postgreSQL, sequelize ORM, noSQL, mongoDB, mongoose, server side architecture

- Authentication: Passport, Auth, OAuth

- Writing tests for your code: Mocha, Chai, SuperTest

- DevOps - like actual granular devops using command line on Digital Ocean, not just Heroku.

- Well taught Language skills and best practices: Functional programming, including array iterators, call, bind, apply, callbacks, promises

- Revealing module pattern and OOP

- Security and encryption, SHA512, bcrypt

3. Ongoing support:

- They actively email potential employers for you and help you review your CV.

- They have a wide network of former students who are available to help you

- It is still run by the owners of the business, not some multinational trying to churn students out at a profit