developme_-logo

DevelopMe_

Bristol

DevelopMe_

DevelopMe_ offers full-time, 12-week Web Developer Bootcamps, part-time 10-week UX Design Bootcamps, and part-time, 6-week Front End Web Development courses in Bristol, UK. DevelopMe_ was established with a social mission to create inclusive opportunities and give everyone in society access to the digital economy. Courses are taught by industry experts and are project driven and challenge based. In the DevelopMe_ Web Developer Bootcamp (Coding Fellowship) students learn HTML5, CSS3, Sass, JavaScript, React, Redux, React native, Gulp, Git, Vagrant, APIs, PHP, WordPress and the Laravel framework. The UX Design Bootcamp teaches the key skills required to research, define, design, and develop digital services and products based on user-centered design principles. Students learn how to approach problems creatively to design the next generation of apps, websites, and digital products.

Applicants are required to submit an online application, attend an introductory workshop, participate in an interview, and complete pre-course material, before being admitted to a bootcamp.

DevelopMe_ provides CV and interview coaching, networking opportunities with employers, industry mentoring, and ongoing career support, as well as multiple internship opportunities with partner companies to kick-start a new career in tech. Students will learn the tools, technologies, and skills needed to start a career as a Full Stack Web Developer or UX Designer through this talent and digital skills accelerator.

Recent DevelopMe_ Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (59) reviews for DevelopMe_ →

Recent DevelopMe_ News

• Coding Fellowship

Cost£8,450
    LocationBristol
    A full-time immersive 12-week web development bootcamp covering HTML, CSS, Sass, Gulp, JavaScript, React, Redux, React Native, PHP and the Laravel framework. Classes are Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm.
    Deposit£500
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. i.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
    Prep Work50 hours + of coding exercises, reading and tutorials
  • Part-time Front-end

HTML, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Cost£1,500
    LocationBristol
    A part-time (6 evenings, 2 full Saturdays) course teaching the fundamentals of modern front-end web development. Learn how to code mobile-friendly, responsive websites from scratch, using HTML5 and CSS3 and the latest web development practices from industry experts.
    Deposit£500
    ScholarshipThe 'Opportunity Fund' within Develop Me occasionally allows for £500, £1000 reduction in fees and sometimes we make a full fee reduction available. Our Opportunity fund come from donations from our Hiring Partner and a % of fees we put in ourselves.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in coding. I.e. having worked through some online resources, started teaching themselves to code and attended tech events.
  • User Experience Design [Part-time]

Cost£2,450
    LocationBristol
    Our part-time User Experience Design (UXD) course will teach you all the key skills required to research, define, design and develop digital services based upon user-centred design principles. The programme’s industry informed curriculum will teach you how to approach problems creatively in order to design the next generation of great apps, websites, and digital products whilst preparing you to pursue opportunities to work as a User Experience Designer. Course overview: 10 week part-time curriculum Thursday evenings + 2 full Saturdays Additional homework & project work Content ratio 30% theory > 70% practical Classroom based with expert instructors Students will be taught the fundamentals of User Centred Design and learn to validate ideas by looping through the design process starting with User Research, Rapid Prototyping, User Testing and Iteration. You will also be introduced to industry standard creative software tools and working processes whilst working on a real ‘live’ client brief. Alongside this practical application of learned skills and techniques – you will be able to demonstrate your ability to successfully manage a project from concept to launch; combining commercially sought after skill-sets – through the application of research, design and technical development. Students will finish the course competent in: Research & Analysis methods Understanding of UX best practice UX processes – Research & analysis methods User/Human-centred design processes Information architecture Creative software tools Visual design principles User Interface (UI) components & design patterns Wireframing, low-fidelity mockups & rapid prototyping Identifying front-end web technologies (Note: This course is not a web development course) Project management, workflow & handover processes Usability testing & validation
    Deposit£500

Minimum Skill LevelNone but encourages students to show evidence of interest in design, technology or related fields
  • UX Fundamentals Workshop

Cost£600
    LocationBristol
    Course Overview Design is the name we give to the task of creating something useful and beautiful. It relies on a multi-disciplinary approach that includes: user research and testing; interface design & brand. Design for digital – ‘Useful, Beautiful, Digital’. Day 1: Research & discovery Intro Business & brand User research methods Communicating the User Experience Day 2: Design & testing Intro Concept & prototyping Graphic design & interaction design Testing designs Instructors Jointly run by digital designer Matt French and UX consultant Stuart Church. They have worked together for over a decade for clients including Sky, The NHS, The office for National Statistics and Bristol University. Matt French specialises in graphic and interaction design, and is Head of Design at the award winning agency 3Sixty. Stuart Church is a UX consultant specialising in UX research & design prototyping and is a founder of The Bristol Usability Group and UX Bristol Conference. With these complimentary skillsets, their aim is provide a course that demonstrates a holistic approach to User Experience design. Workshop Curriculum Day 1 – Research & discovery Introduction to User Experience We explore the foundations of User Experience. It’s history, terminology and some of the key concepts that frame how we approach design problems. We also discuss the use (and mis-use) of different design processes from waterfall to agile. Business & brand We explore what success means and how we capture an ‘experience vision’ for how the design should benefit customers and users. Often a political process, it involves research and exploration of internal business goals and strategies, and aligning these views towards a common design goal. User research techniques Capturing requirements is vital for establishing a clear vision for the design of a website or application. However, knowing when to do research and what types of methods to use can be a minefield. In this session, we explore practical methods for gaining insights into user goals, attitudes and behaviours. These include online surveys, web analytics and contextual research. Communicating UX The translation of research findings into actionable insights is one of the great challenges of design. In this session, we explore the importance of communication and collaboration, and consider different methods and techniques for effectively communicating research insights (e.g. personas, task models, user journeys) Day 2 – Design & testing Intro Why design & test? Internet, web standards, mobile web 1st, apps. Interaction design: utility & beauty Design principles Brand archetypes The brief Concept & Prototyping High level workflow: (Brief to HTML templates). Familiarisation with key tools such as UX Pin and InVision Review UX research (activity) Sketch user journey(s) (activity) Prototyping & testing (activity) Art direction & Style tiles (activity) Type specs & grids. Designing for personas. Writing content for the web. Interaction design / animation Graphic & Interaction design Trends in design. (Material design) Modular design (components). HTML style guide Responsive design. Hierarchy & visual tension. Type on the web. Buttons, links & CTA’s Forms & validation Testing What to measure? Planning & recruitment Moderated testing Remote moderated testing Unmoderated testing AB & MV testing Satisfactions metrics Semantic differentials Eyetracking
    Refund / Guarantee14 Day Cooling Off Period From Purchase
  • Kristin Eriksen • Junior Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I would wholeheartedly recommend DevelopMe to anyone who is looking to become a web developer/work in the tech sector. The material is interesting, fun and relevant, and the teachers truly are experts in their fields. You get a chance to try a bit of everything, to see what suits your own preferences best. The support you get throughout the course is of the highest quality, and the individual 1 on 1's each week are so helpful in getting a solid understanding of how you are doing and where you want to go.

The benefits of studying at DevelopMe go beyond just learning the material - it's also an amazing opportunity to meet people who already work in the industry, network and build rapport in a safe and supported environment. The support continues when you finish the  course, as DevelopMe will do their best to match each student with relevant job opportunities and coach you on how to handle the interviews. This made the whole interview process significantly less daunting!

Overall, DevelopMe is an absolutely amazing opportunity to change your career and enter the tech sector with a solid support network behind you - I can't recommend them highly enough.

• 12 week bootcamp
    - 5/12/2019
    Jack • Web developer • Graduate

I recently completed the bootcamp at DevelopMe, and I would recommend it to someone who's insterested in programming/web development. At first, I was apprehensive, and I wasn't sure if it was going to be the right thing for me. I had some self study under my belt in Python, which isn't covered on the course, so I had some worries that I wouldn't get on well with the languages in the syllabus. Well, I attended an open evening and decided to take the plunge. I was given a pre-course preparation syllabus to work through, and I dedicated a lot of time to completing it before the course began, which I feel really paid off. I found that my worries were unfounded, really, as it wasn't necessarily Python I was interested in, but the process programming. I also wasn't sure if web development was going to be right for me, but in reality, working with programming languages was the thing that interested me, rather than the difference between 'software developer' and 'web developer'.

Once I was on the course itself, I have to say that it felt great to be in the learning environment. The teachers were all great: concepts were explained very clearly and were always followed up with a hefty amount of practical challenges that consolidated everything very well. If anyone ever had any difficulties, the teachers were great about going over things again, helping people understand, and making sure everyone was up to speed in order to move on to the next part. Learning programming languages can be confusing at times, but the moments of satisfaction when you solve a problem are far more rewarding than the frustration of not getting things can be. If you feel like you have the kind of mind that likes to get stuck into a problem and feel motivated to work through something until you figure out how to solve it, then you will probably get on well with the course.

The syllabus was pretty wide, giving us experience of a wide range of technologies which we could choose from to implement a final project at the end. Once we had completed the projects, we were set up with interviews by the course organisers, and our projects were sent to the employers so that they could see what we had created. The support during the interview process seemed great. Each person was set up with ~4 interviews, with continued support after that, meaning that if those interviews didn't lead to anything, they continue to set you up with more. That said, companies seem pretty keen to hire developers, and several companies already have a few past graduates, and continue to come back to hire fresh graduates from the course.

Now, I've been working at a web development agency for 3 months, and things are going great! I'm continuing to learn a lot, and the job is much more fulfilling than anything I've done in the past. If you've been dabbling in code, and find it's the kind of thing that really draws you in, and you can lose yourself for hours solving problems and fixing bugs and implementing things, then you might be coming from a similar place as I did, and will really benefit from taking a fast-track approach to get you into the industry like this.

• Laura • Graduate

I've recently finished the Coding Fellowship (12-week coding bootcamp) at DevelopMe. This comprehensive course is taught by professionals with years of experience in the industry. Its curriculum is regularly revised and updated to be in step with the latest trends and technologies.

The class is formed of a small group of selected students. Along with the instructors and the assistants, this creates a strong sense of community in which you feel comfortable and gives you an excellent opportunity to learn from your classmates as well. Everybody starts with a relatively different level of knowledge but the course presents a challenge to all at their respective level.

I've personally decided to go for a career change seeking a more flexible lifestyle which also stimulates my creativity. Coming from a completely unrelated background (retail, customer service), and being English my second language, this course represented a huge challenge for me. I was not sure if I was ready to do it but they help you get ready with a list of lectures and online lessons to go through before starting. This way you'll get familiar with some fundamental technologies which are essential for the course.

There were tough times but I've always counted on the support from the team. And I mean real support:
    -they have always been there to talk about my performance, to reassure me and give me ideas about what to do to work on the areas I was concerned.
    -1 to 1 feedback sessions that take place every Friday in which they highlight your improvements and point at the areas that need more attention so you know what to focus on. Also, at these feedback sessions, they do want to hear about your own needs so they could better help you. If they can do something, they will not hesitate to carry it out.

Right after finishing the course, they got me four interviews in different companies and sent me the details of a 5th company, in which I've got an interview by showing them the projects I'd built during the course. So 5 interviews in total, which resulted in 2 job offers. I couldn't believe it! A year ago I was wondering what to do with my life, and then after the course, I even had the privilege of choosing where my first dev job was going to be. And that's only my own story, but my other 8 classmates also land a job right after this course. That's why I cannot recommend DevelopMe strongly enough.

You'll surely face a challenging time at some points (and if by any chance you don't, you should be trying harder!) but keep going and trust them. Trust their experience. Trust their knowledge. They really want you to succeed and they will put all their effort into it. And so, you will.

• Tom Rosenfeld • Junior Developer • Graduate

I have recently completed the 12 week full stack web development bootcamp as a part of the winter 2019 cohort.

After 12 years working in an entirely unrelated sector and being in my mid thirties I was unsure whether I’d be able to transition into web development in 12 weeks. The combination of the teachers, teaching assistants and well thought through curriculum enabled me to learn so much more than I thought possible.  I worked through as much of the pre-course study as I could (I would advise any other prospective students to do the same) but I would never have imagined that I’d be able to work with so many frameworks and libraries and produce such complex work so quickly.

The curriculum is constantly updated to keep up with the most current libraries and working practices and the teachers vary so that you were always being taught by someone with real life industry experience. The teaching was a blend of lectures, challenges and  both solo and group projects that meant you had plenty of time working alone and with others. Within our cohort there was a lot of peer support as well as being helped by the staff. I found analysing and bug fixing other peoples code really helpful for improving my own.

I would advise making the most of the opportunities outside of the classroom. Mentoring was worthwhile. I found making contacts in the industry really helpful and encouraging. There is also support available for preparing for job interviews. Every Friday there is a one-to-one feedback session where you receive feedback on your progress and any areas you should focus on or spend some time studying. This is also an opportunity to feed back on the course, something that they take very seriously and noticeably acted upon which was great to see.

The course was a rollercoaster of challenges, frustration, eureka moments, occasionally feeling at an utter loss and deep satisfaction when I finally got whatever concept had stumped me/found the bug/got the damn thing to work. It has given me a real desire to keep learning and improving my knowledge and expanding my skills.

I’m currently waiting to start a role as a developer and am very happy that I decided to take the leap.

• Suzanne Clark • Application Developer • Graduate

After 18 years working in secretarial and personal assistant roles in various sectors, I began considering my next career move and had been looking into web development for a while.  I had completed a few home learning courses in HTML and CSS and watched various online tutorials but it was the Develop Me bootcamp that enabled me to accomplish my career change.

I was starting to fear that in my late 30s, it was too late to change career and that I would be out of my depth and competing with university leavers but was assured that none of these were the case.  There were students older and younger than me from various backgrounds, with different skill sets to offer and it became clear that age wasn’t even a factor.

The course is 12 weeks long with a different subject covered every week.  It was intensive and challenging, with a lot of information to take in but at the same time very rewarding and enjoyable.  The tutors throughout the course are specialised in their topics and so information is relevant and up to date.

All of the staff were supportive, friendly and approachable and there are weekly 1:1 catch up meetings with all the students for regular feedback and an opportunity to discuss anything.  The class had 10 students in it which was an ideal number for paired and group work tasks and still lots of opportunity for individual assistance and support from the staff.
    Everyone is provided with a key to access the classroom so there was opportunity to go in early or at the weekend if you wanted to.

In the second half of the course each student was given contact details to their own mentors, all of which were people that work in the tech sector and have lots of knowledge and experience to pass on.  I found this immensely helpful as extra support with getting my CV prepared and gaining an insight from someone who has had a long career in this sector.

The students in my group all bonded really well together and many breaktime and lunchtime games of table tennis were enjoyed by all!

Towards the end of the course we were prepared for interviews and put forward for various work placements.

I am now 7 months into my first application developer role and am incredibly happy there.  There have been many moments along the way where I have felt out of my depth as there is so much to learn and so many different directions you can go in, but when I think back to where I was and what I was doing a year ago, I realise I have come a very long way, achieved and learnt a lot, met so many fantastic people.

I highly recommend the Develop Me course and thank the staff for all their support in my career change.

• Stacey • Digital Marketer • Graduate

As a full time working professional, my only option was to do a part time course if I wanted to learn web development in a classroom environment, so I was very happy to have found DevelopMe! It worked perfectly around my schedule, provided a small class to learn in (there were 5 of us), and the course covered enough to get me started with my learning and continue on my own following the course... Now I’m just waiting for them to do a JavaScript course (hint hint)!

Thanks to the course I’m now able to build modern responsive websites, and code without too many bad habits (which I would have picked up with self-learning for sure)!

• Aden W • Graduate

I throughly enjoyed my experience at DevelopMe and would definately reccomend the course to anyone interested in getting into web development.

Before I started the course I was looking for a change in career and was trying to break into web development. I was completing online courses to gain some skills, but I felt I needed a more in depth method of learning before I was compfortable finding a job in the industry. So after attending a taster session I signed up for the the course, and I'm very glad I did.

The entire course was extremely engaging (and brain melting at times), and all of the teachers that lead the different sections of the course were excellent. The staff at DevelopMe are helpful, friendly and knowledgable, and all though the course itself was mentally intense, the atmosphere was always relaxed and inclusive.

The monetary , time, and mental investment into the course was significant, but now being a few months into my first front-end developer job, it has proven to be well worth it.

• Highly recommend!
    - 11/15/2018
    Sereena Knapp • Graphic Designer • Graduate

As a first step into UX, this course packed in a variety of topics/diseplinse plus the opportunity to work with an actual client throughout the course which enabled us to start building a portfolio.

The course instructors were brilliant, they provide a wealth of knowledge and resources as well as being on-hand for support oustide of the sessions. And they taught in a relaxed way that made it easy to digest information.

• Riku • Graduate

The Coding Fellowship is not just for career changers, it’s also a great opportunity for self-taught developers to update their skills and to keep up with the industry standards. It’s an intense and challenging 12 week bootcamp that requires hard work and full commitment, but at the end you will be rewarded with job interviews and great opportunities to really start your career as a developer. Bristol is full of great tech companies, which makes this bootcamp even better, as DevelopMe is well known and valued in Bristol’s tech scene.

Within 3 months you will learn the most important skills to become a web developer. The content of the bootcamp is well designed and the instructors are just amazing, always available and willing to help you with any questions you might have. As the class sizes are small (we had 10), you will get very personalized support when needed and they are checking on your progress weekly on one-on-one meetings. DevelopMe is also very open for suggestions and they are constantly updating the content to remain up to date with the industry.

In class there was a teaching assistant available to give you extra help and DevelopMe will pair you up with a mentor, who will advice you outside of the classroom. You will also get great support for job interviews and technical challenges to stand out from the crowd, all personalized just for you.

I got hired by a well established tech company in Bristol just few weeks after the course, so I couldn’t be happier with the bootcamp. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to make a career change to web development or to improve their coding skills. And yes, it’s well worth the money!

• Vikki Brooke • Web Developer • Graduate

The Coding Fellowship was overall challenging, rewarding and incredibly fun. It gave us a broad range of skills that were invaluable for a future in web development.
    The course was very well structured and continually updated so that we learnt the most relevant content for going into industry. The modules were one to two weeks each and were taught by very experienced professionals, all of whom were amazingly knowledgeable and always willing to explain anything. The class was small which was a good environment to learn in and as well as the instructor there was always a teaching assistant available to help. It's very apparent that the whole course was very well thought-out as we had weekly quizzes,  feedback reviews and  assigned a mentor who was always willing to meet up and give any advice.
    At the end of the course, I was lined up with 6 interviews with a range of really interesting tech companies. This was an intense couple of weeks but we continued to get support from Oli and Pete, by means of interview practice and any additional support needed before and after the interviews.
    I am now coming into my 3rd week at my internship, and am incredibly fortunate to be in a great company. I could honestly say that everyone working at DevelopMe has been invaluable in helping me to get here.

• Paul Wylie • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

The Coding Fellowship has more than met my expectations. I’m impressed that we are taught by different instructors each of them with many years experience working with the technology that they are teaching. Not only that but they can all teach as well, which is obviously important that they have the ability to articulate complex concepts to other people. I have found all the instructors very knowledgeable and inspiring.

I also feel that a lot of hard work has gone into the curriculum as it teaches the latest core concepts of the language or tool and you then get a chance to code and put into practise what you have learnt. It is set at the right pace. The curriculum has been tweaked and fine tuned with every cohort, so it is now difficult to suggest any improvements, which is something we are all asked every Friday in our weekly feedback meetups with a DevelopMe person.

At the end of the day, just about everything you could want to know is available somewhere online for free. But working for hours on your own without the support of knowledgeable instructors or a community of peers will not yield the same results as an immersive program like the Coding Fellowship. It’s certainly a big commitment of time, money, and energy, but I don’t think there’s a better way to prepare yourself for a career in web development.

• Mark Harrison • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I chose DevelopMe because their curriculum offered a broad introduction to full stack web development.  Their programme delivery was excellent in terms of teaching content and quality of instructors.  Instructors was highly knowledgeable and supportive but students were never spoon fed learning.  The three month bootcamp was always challenging and very rewarding.

DevelopMe organised a number of internship interviews for me on completion of my course, one of which led to full time employment as a junior web developer.

DevelopMe's course content and style of teaching prepared me for the kinds of challenge I now face as a junior developer.  I would recommend the course to motivated learners who are able to sustain the intense pace of learning offered by this three month bootcamp.

DevelopMe_ Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at DevelopMe_, 97% graduated. 94% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $30,294. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 33 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

We are UK-based bootcamp, please note salary is reported in USD not GBP. GBP starting salary average is £23,200.