codeworks-logo

Codeworks

Barcelona, Berlin, London, Online

Codeworks

Codeworks is an immersive coding bootcamp with campuses in several locations around the world. Students can attend Codeworks courses in-person or remotely. Programs include 8-week and 12-week, full-time, software engineering and full-stack web development courses. All programs cover HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node, Express, SQL and NoSQL databases, Angular, and React, with the 12-week course also covering DevOps, continuous deployment and systems architecture.

The courses are divided into two sections: theory and advanced programming topics, then applied learning through building complete products. Codeworks aims to help students build complex apps and gain an advanced understanding of JavaScript. Graduates should be able to build entire applications and contribute to coding projects of any size.

Codeworks is tailored for people at any level with a three-part program process. To apply, candidates must first pass an admission challenge. Applicants with no previous coding experience are offered a remote intro course that covers programming fundamentals, basic JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more. Once admitted into the program, students complete an 8-week, remote pre-course where covering intermediate programming topics like jQuery, Git, Developer tools, and intro to APIs. Once students pass the pre-course, they can start the main programming course.

All Codeworks programs include hiring events at the end of the course, including portfolio preparation and tech interview training. Finally, all graduates receive lifelong career support, and become part of an international network of alumni and partner companies.

Recent Codeworks Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (107) reviews for Codeworks →

Recent Codeworks News

Read all (7) articles about Codeworks →
  • Corporate training

LocationBarcelona, Online, London, Berlin
    Training programs for tech companies wanting to ramp up their development teams. We’ve designed intensive programs that can take place at your offices or at our campus. This focused training helps your development team master specific topics. Subjects include advanced JavaScript, Angular, React, and Node JS. Custom programs can be created according to your company’s needs.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

LocationBerlin, London, Barcelona, Online
    Our flagship course, and the most complete way to get your engineering career started. Throughout the 12 weeks you learn all the skills of a professional programmer and get to build 3 projects of growing complexity. The course includes 1 week of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to make entire applications, and contribute to coding projects of any size. You will learn strong Software Engineering patterns, and understand how to work productively in team with other engineers. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-software-engineering-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Pay a deposit to secure your place, and start to pay back the rest only once you get a satisfying job offer.
    Tuition PlansPay upfront, pay with a loan or pay when you get a job. Check details and availability on our website: https://codeworks.me/financing-options/
    ScholarshipScholarships offered periodically in collaboration with industry partners, check website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelGood understanding of HTML and CSS, basic programming and JavaScript syntax.
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Web Development Immersive

LocationBerlin, London, Barcelona, Online
    This program gives you the preparation to become a solid web programmer. Throughout the 8 weeks you learn all the fundamentals of functional programming and get to build 1 personal project. The course includes 2 days of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to build full-stack applications and understand advanced coding topics. This is our shortest course and the fastest way to get your developer career kickstarted. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-web-development-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Great experience.
    - 5/26/2019
    Nathalia   User Photo
    Nathalia • Full-stack developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I waited a bit before writing my review as I had taken some time off before applying: I needed to make up my mind on where I wanted to live, which role, etc. I had therefore little visibility on how I would perform compared to the rest of the "market". Currently I am a full-stack developer working in London for clients as a contractor. I am now in the position to attest that the things we learned and the depth of our knowledge in Javascript and software development in general is really, really good. If you're skeptical about whether those months can take you to a professional level, please, know that it really will.
    You'll get much more than just knowledge in web development. You'll get the right fundamentals (algorithms, data structures, etc), which makes a whole difference on your approach when you'll start building things: you'll be able to judge the efficiency and quality of a given code.
    Warning - before coming to CW, you do need to learn and code as much as you can. As others have pointed out, in the end of the day, you will have to do the work. So you might struggle if you haven't prepared properly before the program. Really take the pre-course exercises seriously, and start learning on your own now.
    The TAs are really patient and helpful, it really speeds up your learning by ten times compared to if you were on your own. Not to mention the rest of the students. I met the most brilliant minds.
    I urgently recommend if you're serious about becoming a full-stack / front-end / software engineer.

• Arturo Santos  User Photo
    Arturo Santos • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via Github

I just graduated in December and Codeworks was an amazing experience.

It is definitely very challenging and intensive, but the instructors and TAs are always very helpful, the infrastructure is extremely good and having colleagues that are just as dedicated as you makes the learning process much better. At the end of the course, you are just amazed at how much you've learned!

I can definitely recommend the course for those who want an intensive and immersive experience.

• Luca Panzavolta  User Photo
    Luca Panzavolta • Full-stack developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I completed the Codeworks program a little over a month ago. I decided to wait a bit before writing this review because I wanted to see the validation of the market on my preparation and skills first. This validation has come in the form of job offers that demonstrated me, once again, how well Codeworks prepares its students.

My three months at Codeworks have been very intense and despite the stress, every day I was fully conscious that it was totally worth it. The pace is vigorous but you will never feel lost because you will have the support of your instructors, your teaching assistants, and your classmates. The student selection process really works well, and your classmates will be some of the most driven, motivated and knowledgeable people you will ever meet.

I spent an average of 12-13 hours a day in Codeworks including my Sundays. On my typical Sunday, I would sleep a couple of hours more than usual and then go to Codeworks to revise the concepts introduced during the week or to experiment with new technologies. I was not the only crazy one! Many of my classmates were doing the same!

Regarding the team there, everybody is amazing.

Arol is a coding rockstar and he mentored us throughout all the course. Marco is super competent and always in a good mood. Leonardo is really experienced on the front-end and always very supportive and helpful. Marc will be the to-go-to person when looking for a job after the course. Marc is super knowledgeable and encouraging: he will guide you through your job search. From him expect pieces of advice that will save you a lot of mistakes and will help you to get the job you want.

Barcelona is an amazing city, you probably won't have the time to explore all its corners during your time at Codeworks, but the weather will definitely help to keep the mood positive. The wonderful weather really played a role for me.

At Codeworks I learned Node.js, React, Redux, GraphQL, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, Web Sockets and so much more. The curriculum is vast and in line with the current technological trend and after the intense months there, you can really call yourself a Full-Stack Developer.

My recommendation is that, if you are looking for a coding boot camp in Europe, joining Codeworks will be one of the best experiences and choices of your life. It has been for me.

• Andrea  User Photo
    Andrea • Front-end dev • Student Verified via LinkedIn

CW is still a young and growing bootcamp, but is proving to be one or the best bootcamp in Europe.
    The challenges I had to face everyday were huge, because studying here is very demanding but the good is coming now after finishing it, finding myself able to build stuff, learn new things and technologies with ease, apply for positions and being considered by employers! Now, I'm working with leading libraries like React and React Native, build chrome extensions, create phone app and countless other things.
    Yes, at first I was unsure about it and more in general about bootcamps, but trust me, it totally worths your efforts.

• Edgar  User Photo
    Edgar • Full Stack Software Engineering • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

As all the places there are good things and bad things, the reason why I leave 5 stars is because the good things in Codeworks are undoubtedly the most important things.

- I have learned a lot during this time with Codeworks, possibly everything I need to be prepared in today's job market, and I think that without Codeworks it would have been very difficult and it would have taken much more time.

- I met a lot of amazing people with my same interests.

- After 2 weeks of finishing the bootcamp, get a Full Stack job in a very good company with a very fair salary.

For these three reasons I think that Codeworks deserves the 5 ends, and these are the things that I think could be improved, and that you should keep in mind before starting in Codeworks to be more prepared:

- the pre course: it's not bad, but it's missing a lot of things, being a bootcamp things go very fast and many times when you have to learn something new that is complex in just 24-48 hours it can be very frustrating even if you will understand it later.

That's why I think it would be great if the pre-course were more extensive and cover more things like for example: more javascript challenges, more exercises with flexbox and CSS grid, definitely back-end (Node.js, Express, MongoDB, Mongoose, MySQL...), look at the basics of Agular and React, a finally some basic of Testing.

If you look at all this before you start you will be more confident, you will be more prepared and you will get much more out of the bootcamp.

But in summary if your looking for a coding bootcamp in Europe without a doubt I think that Codeworks is the best option.

• Jordi Z  User Photo
    Jordi Z • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I started the Codeworks bootcamp in April 2018 and graduated in August 2018, here’s my background, bootcamp experience, and outcome:

BACKGROUND
    - 34 years old.
    - Bachelor’s degree in journalism.
    - Got into coding over two years ago.
    - Wanted to choose the most demanding, hardest bootcamp I could find.
    - Wanted to switch careers and become a front-end developer.

BOOTCAMP EXPERIENCE
    - The pre-course will feel hard an give you a good grasp of the hard-parts of JavaScript.
    - Your batch will be formed by people from a myriad of countries and backgrounds.
    - Codeworks people are flexible with misfortune (and great people too): I had a bike accident and broke my collarbone one week into the program and needed surgery two weeks later. Had to restart the whole thing on the next batch and there was no problem doing so.
    - Codeworks is very demanding, but you will get what you put in it: Time will fly, and you will be incredibly busy, so invest 100% of your time, effort and your interest and you’ll get a proportional return. If eventually you realize this is not for you, you’ll still learn plenty of stuff, make great friends and know more about yourself, but don’t get too lazy or you’ll meet my next point:
    - Codeworks people is pretty inflexible with laziness: Become a drag to your batch because of your lack of interest, poor attitude or consistently not showing on time for no reason and you’ll promptly see yourself out of the program. I’ve seen this happen.
    - Arol, Alessandro (the founders) and all the TA’s from the bootcamp have great sets of skills, learn from them as much as you can, ask all the questions, and leave no stone unturned because that’s your chance to absorb years of seasoned skills in three months. Moreover, once you graduate you will always have them as a safety net for advice or particular questions you might have.
    - My advice: At some point, you’ll lean towards a particular technology or side to development (be it front-end, back-end or whatever). Stick to it. Choose a path and follow it. Our field needs a lot of specialization. A Barcelona startup CEO once defined the development scene as ‘broad but shallow’, so help deepen it and your skills will be in demand!

OUTCOME
    - I graduated at the end of August, the week after demoing our thesis project I started looking for a job. I got my first call the very same day I started searching and my first offer within three days. The offer was economically within the average for a junior developer in Barcelona but I rejected it because I wanted to see more.
    - I got some coding challenges from potential employers: After what I had learned in the bootcamp, none of them felt particularly hard.
    - I got a good idea of what I wanted, how much I wanted to be paid and what technologies I was willing to work with or not. That helped a great deal to have successful interviews.
    - Marc is a wizard when it comes to providing great support getting you in touch with potential employers and helping you with negotiations. So listen to his advice and apply it. I didn’t do this once and now I regret it so LISTEN.TO.MARC.
    - Every time I made it to the on-site interview I ended getting the offer.
    - Don’t rush your decision, companies need developers and you can provide what they’re looking for. Marc will tell you so when you feel the impulse to accept the first offer you get, so, again, it’s probably a good idea to listen to Marc.
    - All my peers that wanted to get a job where employed as developers before two months after graduation.
    - For some weeks, I took a free-lance job offer to develop a small app for a startup. I always felt like I had the proper skills to be working on my own, which greatly boosted my confidence as a front-end developer.
    - In the end, I accepted a front-end developer offer from a Fortune 500 company who offered above average salary and benefits.
    - Some months into the job, I can tell you that I don’t feel like I am lacking any coding skills compared to my peers.

All in all, if you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering if it’s a good idea to enroll. I can tell you it is, but be willing to trust these guys, their method and be sure that you can put the effort it demands. It will be great to see you become a member of the family of Codeworks graduates.

• Jon Portella  User Photo
    Jon Portella • Web developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After 3 demanding months of 12 hours/day sessions of coding, data structures and algorithms, I found myself with new skills, ready for a career change.

Now I'm super happy with my new job and so is my employer with my performance.

• Christopher  User Photo
    Christopher • Senior Partner Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just completed my course a month ago and I wish I never left for so many reasons.
    Barcelona is a lovely city - but don't get too excited about it, you'll just see some parts of it going to the Codeworks facilities. Because classes are Monday to Saturday 9am sharp till at least 9 o'clock in the evening. And after that I was learning on my own to keep up with topics I did not understand. Most of the time I also spent my Sundays at Codeworks. That made 80-85 hours of coding and learning a week.
    The facilities are great! A 5 minute walk to the ocean, restaurants and a supermarket nearby and you'll find cheap rooms to stay in Poblenou.

I wanted to learned Full Stack Javascript and was not disappointed. The staff is amazing and can break down complex things into easy steps - especially Arols live coding sessions are worth the money!

The most important thing about this bootcamp is not that they teach you how to code (and they do it pretty well), it is that they show you how to find solutions to your problems by reading documentations. For me it turned out to be the most valuable skill after leaving the bootcamp.

The athmosphere is amazing. There are great students, great staff, and amazing teachers and TAs. I had never the feeling of being uncomfortable.
    At the end of the course there is a hiring week where they invite companies that are interested in developers.

I can't recommend this course enough - go there and start an exiting carreer!

• Dave Martinez  User Photo
    Dave Martinez • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    If you're reading this, chances are that you are thinking about attending Codeworks and want to read about the experience from previous students. I did the same exact thing before I applied to the bootcamp and I was grateful that others took the time to write about their journey, so I think it's only fair to do the same thing for those who come after me.

Before I continue, let me give you some context... I've always loved logic and I learned how to program at an early age. Having said that, I was looking for guidance to get a clear picture of all the elements involved in software development (building, testing, deployment, etc). That's why I applied to Codeworks.

I was looking for something that forced me to step out of my comfort zone and Codeworks certainly did that. I knew the experience was going to be quite intense (12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 3 months) but I have to say that I enjoyed every moment of it and I've made some great friends along the way.

You might be wondering if having a background in programming is necessary to attend the bootcamp. I don't believe that's the case. Many students came from other disciplines but had a genuine interest in coding. I have nothing but admiration for them. It was really cool seeing those students pick up new technologies and solve really challenging problems.

Even though the bootcamp focuses mainly on JavaScript, it prepares you for the unknown. Technology changes at fast pace and they acknowledge that. It is for this reason that they focus on the foundations over which technologies are built instead of teaching you a given implementation. By doing so, you can pick up new technologies and frameworks in no time - A skill that you surely require in the industry.

The instructors are really knowledgeable and they always come up with interesting and challenging problems to solve. In addition to that, you have Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are always willing to answer any questions you might have and engage in conversations about the best way of approaching a given problem.

I personally think that programming is not something you learn by just listening to theory. You need to practice. A hell of a lot! That's why I was glad to see that Codeworks is a hands-on bootcamp in which you do a lot of practical exercises. It also forces you to think outside the box with a daily challenge. After each theory session, you'll get to do pair programming with one of your fellow students.

On the second part of the bootcamp, you get to develop 3 projects which allow you to apply all the things you've been learning. The goal is to create applications from start to finish and present them in front of the other students and instructors.

Another great thing is that the bootcamp organizes regular public events which are really inspiring and allow the students to network with people from the industry.

The last week on campus is dedicated to do training for job interviews, prepare an attractive portfolio and meet with companies that are currently hiring.

Last but not least, they have a team devoted to give career advice to students and alumni. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, but the careers team was really helpful and their advice was key to finding the best job opportunities. Heck! I ended up accepting a nice offer and I'm working as a Frontend Developer now!

All in all, I have to say it was a really good experience and I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in coding as a career.

Best of luck!
  • Carl Hüffmeier  User Photo
    Carl Hüffmeier • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Should you attend Codeworks?

If you are reading this, the answer is most likely yes.

I started programming during my childhood and have been studying web development for about two years before I entered Codeworks. Naturally I had a lot of doubts whether a coding bootcamp would be the right choice for me. The answer as I soon found out, is a resounding YES.

The way the program is structured gives you a lot of freedom to develop your skills at your own pace. Codeworks provides you with the best possible environment for deliberate practice, always making sure you are not getting stuck.

The curriculum is being improved and updated in every iteration and solves one of the biggest issues during self-study: What should I focus on?

This is something I see many people struggle with in the beginning. Watching a video about framework X here, reading a chapter from a book on JavaScript there does not give you the best results when your goal is to be able to be able to build large scale web applications.

The experienced instructors at Codworks have seen many students through this journey and have optimized the timing and depth of the content to give you all the tools you need to create amazing things on you own and in a team.

You will also learn highly sought after skills like software testing, advanced version control mechanisms and Github flow. This might not get you excited, but these are skills you need from day one in your new job.

And if you are worried that you don’t learn technology X in this course, don’t worry. After this course, you will be able to pick it up in a couple of days.

Believe me it doesn’t matter. When you start at your new job, you will probably find out that you have to work with Elm, Java, .Net, Elixir or whatever tech stack they are currently using.

What matters is your speed of learning.

In addition to the technical skills, Codeworks puts a strong focus on developing the soft skills necessary to accelerate your developer career.

Wait, are you serious “soft skills”? Yes, I am totally serious.

Being a developer entails project management, pitching projects, explaining your solutions to coworkers and giving presentations at your company. Not only will you be able to train these skills in a supportive environment of friends, you will also get constructive feedback on it. I saw every single person in my cohort become better in these areas over the 3 month period.

Recruiters will also be very happy when you tell them that you have experience with Scrum and other project management techniques.

The job support is great. You will spend the last week writing up your resume, polishing your online profiles and receiving coaching on how to approach companies and negotiate salaries. And don’t worry, the support is not going to end after one week. There is also a hiring day, putting you in touch with exciting local companies. Two of my cohort (myself included) found their perfect match during the hiring day and we couldn’t be happier with our choice.

As for everything else, it is hard for me to describe how great of an experience this was for me. The people I have met, the people I will meet in the future thanks to Codeworks, it is an experience I will relish my whole life.

If you have doubts about whether the program is right for you, my best advice for you is: Talk to them!

Just get in touch and ask them whatever you feel unsure about. If you want, they will also put you in touch with some graduates, so you can get an unfiltered opinion.

Best luck on your journey 👋

• Steven  User Photo
    Steven • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I have very sunny memories of my time at CodeWorks Barcelona from July to October this year. CodeWorks is located near the beach in a beautiful, light building with high ceilings. The teachers are not only technically skilled but also a lot of fun to hang around with, the weather was great and on top of all of this I even managed to learn heaps and stacks!

-The founders of the school are nice people with a positive outlook on life. They, like the rest of the staff, are really dedicated to provide you with all the opportunities to make your 3 month stay as rewarding as possible and this shows in the attention to detail they have. In our first week we all came together in the patio and were taught how to do various back exercises and how to create an optimal work environment as to avoid injuries. It's these kind of small gestures that showed me that CW is for real in doing everything it can to provide its students with an optimal learning experience and preparation for the professional development world.

-CW does a good job selecting its students so I learned a lot not just from the teachers and T.A.'s but also  from my fellow students, some of whom were quite proficient coders on entering the course.

-One word of caution that I read in other reviews but nonetheless would like to repeat:

YOU need to put in all the work. - This is a good and well thought out curriculum but the ultimate responsibility of what you'll get out of this course lies with YOU.

To cut a long story short, I had a great time at CodeWorks Barcelona! Coding really IS better in the sun!

Codeworks Outcomes

$N/A

Of the students who enroll at Codeworks, 98% graduated. 67% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of . Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

We do not report median salary as our graduates find jobs in many different cities around the world, with different economies and costs of living. For this period out graduates secured salaries 24% above the average for Software Engineers in their location.

More information at codeworks.me/outcomes