codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (328) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (20) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    Start Date February 3, 2020
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
    February 3, 2020 - Online Apply by January 20, 2020
    March 2, 2020 - Online Apply by February 17, 2020
    March 30, 2020 - Online Apply by March 16, 2020
    April 27, 2020 - Online Apply by April 13, 2020
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    Start Date February 1, 2020
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    February 1, 2020 - Online Apply by January 17, 2020
    March 7, 2020 - Online Apply by February 21, 2020
    April 4, 2020 - Online Apply by March 20, 2020
  • Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive BETA

Start Date February 22, 2020
    The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program BETA teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Deposit$2000
    For our BETA program we will be offering multiple payment plan options where you can select from various monthly payment choices or deferred payment alternatives. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self-taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks
    February 22, 2020 - Online Apply by January 24, 2020
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date February 10, 2020
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available via SkillsFund as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks
    March 9, 2020 - Los Angeles Apply by February 10, 2020
    April 27, 2020 - Los Angeles Apply by March 30, 2020
    June 15, 2020 - Los Angeles Apply by May 18, 2020

• nts • Software Engineer • Student

So thankful for this place. It not only gave me the tools to be a successful engineer, but also provided me with a community where people care about each other's success, and are more than willing to help.

• Stephen G. • Software Engineer • Graduate

After Codesmith, I increased my starting salary by 25% and I landed my dream job; Here's how I did it.

First, I think Codesmith is a unique opportunity that, if you can get in, will give you the leverage and skills that you can use to dramatically increase your starting salary and land your dream job. With that being said, there is no hand holding, although you can ask engineering fellows to assist you if you hit a block. To get the most out of the experience, you have to put in the time to work on your coding skills and focus on translating their lessons into real-world, working web applications. It's a challenge but hey, if it was easy, then it probably wouldn't be worth your while.

Before Codesmith, I had a grasp of some web technologies but lacked the computer science backbone and interviewing skills necessary to land a mid to senior level role. Codesmith helped me round out my skills and taught me all of the major modern technologies that companies ask for on their job listings. I learned through building challenging yet interesting projects and technologies that employers would *actually* be impressed by. To do this, the Codesmith staff pushes you to do more than you thought was possible and by the end of the course, you are in awe of how much you accomplished.

As you approach graduation, you really start to experience the true value of the Codesmith program by seeing the culmination of everything you have learned combined with the invaluable knowledge that the Codesmith team provides you in preparation for your job search. Resume reviews and practice phone screens prepare you for the real world and by the time you receive your final offer, you will feel like a professional interviewer. At least that’s how I felt. I trusted their process and, a few months after graduating, I received an offer from my top choice company.

I was extremely excited when I received my official offer because it was in my range around the average for mid level engineers in NYC (currently $117,195 on Glassdoor) and it was with a company that I felt was a fantastic fit for me.

I certainly wouldn't have been able to accomplish this without Codesmith. I highly recommend it if you are looking to level up as a software engineer and dominate the job search to find the perfect job for you.

• Javier O. • software engineer • Graduate
    I was accepted to join the selective residency program last year and work with other smart people that helped me enhance my engineering experience.
    This residency program is focused on a philosophy of solving problems. Although, I did know about software engineering before, here at Codesmith I had the opportunity to work on the projects that I wanted in a team and they helped me grow as an engineer. Thankfully, during my process, I got corrected of the bad engineering practices/habits I had.
    The disadvantage that I felt they had and where I think they could have improved while I was in the program, is guiding the residents to solve problems with different operating systems. However, the advantages are the guidance you will receive( I really enjoyed whiteboarding ). The whole time you are there, you are constantly being challenged to get better. You stretch yourself by questioning, informing and applying concepts until you polish your skills. The other advantage is the accountability. I found them to be accountable. I did feel I could go to them for any request and they would help me within a reasonable amount of time. Also, they are updated with what the technology and principles you should have and inform you of what the actual employers are looking for in engineers. The job seeking process was helpful as well.
  • Unemployed
    - 7/19/2018
    Very Disappointed Grad • Unemployed • Graduate

I am posting this to let people know how I got tricked into thinking I can be job ready for the tech industry with only 3 months of classes, which is EXACTLY what Codesmith advertised...

Let me just start by saying that you will learn a good amount of knowledge from this program, I don't want to take away how rigorous this 12 week bootcamp actually is, and I actually learned a lot about programming and made a lot of friends at Codesmith.

That said, I am extremely disappointed in Codesmith, and felt like they scammed me out of 17k in tuition.  I'll just go right ahead and say it:

Codesmith tells you to LIE when looking for jobs!  They want you to put your so called "production project" in your resume as WORK EXPERIENCE!!!!  They ask you to NOT put Codesmith in your resume, create a website and make it look really really nice so employers can be fooled that your project is a company, and reach out to random developers to "star" your repository to get a lot of stars in an attempt to pass as a legitamte professional project!  They NEVER told us this in the beginning, and I felt duped and unsatisfied after close to a year of trying to follow their "Marketing" and "need-to-know-info" strategy to find jobs!

I knew it was too good to be true, when I first attended their Javascript Hard Parts meetup, the founder, Will, who by the way, was really really "Markety", claimed that Codesmith had the best hiriing rates than other bootcamps(by the way, they have NO outcomes reports whatsoever, to this day).  Someone else that worked at Codesmith told us that, upon graduation, it takes less than a month to find a job...boy how I took the bait.  I saw the culture there and lucrative promises that I eventually joined their July '17 cohort.

I graduated in October, and to this day, I am still struggling to even get phone interviews, I did have several interviews, but I had several recruiters and HR managers tell me that I'm trying to dupe them in my resume...I don't blame them, I mean, it LITERALLY is lying, we WERE trying to trick them into thinking we had PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, what Codesmith told us to do, it is so shady and wrong!!!  I didn't have the guts to come out and say it earlier, partly because I didn't want to believe that I paid 17k to get scammed, I wanted to believe that I chose the right program, so do some other students in my cohort as well as the cohort before us, but we're in so deep in commitment and money that we were in denial of the obvious.

For those of you wanting to change career, stick to a 4 year college!  For those that are considering bootcamps, stick to the well known, proven bootcamps, like App Academy, Hack Reactor, or Full Stack Acad, those that acutally publish job outcomes and will not asking you to sell your soul and trick your interviewers, even if you do consider ANY bootcamp, ask them outcomes questions, the job search process, ASK them for outcomes numbers, ASK them a lot of questions, if they're being standoffish, it's usually a big telltale sign.  If it's too good to be true, it often is!

I will still try to find a software engineer job, but I am going back to the drawing board and learn more on my own, for free, there are many resources online for anyone to teach themselves how to code. the program did teach me a lot, but not enough to be job ready, I mean, its so laughable that Codesmith will tell you to market yourself as a react engineer witthout even teach you REDUX.

I felt scammed, I felt duped, and I felt that I HAD to say something so other people looking for bootcamps or potential attendees won't fall into the same predictament that I did.

Response From: Will Sentance of Codesmith
    Title: CEO
    Monday, Sep 10 2018
    I’m really sorry you had such a struggle in the job search. In your cohort (start date July 2017) every graduate received an offer (with the exception of one great grad who was not eligible to work in the US)

People put so much of themselves into their time at codesmith and the hundreds of reviews are so important for people who are taking this big step in their careers. It’s a real shame to present things that are evidently untrue - particularly the outcomes of your cohort which are fully captured in the doc: http://bit.ly/codesmith-outcomes

Around 2/3rds of Codesmith students come from a non-technical background and hundreds have received offers for $100k+ - it would be really unfortunate for folk who are from less experienced background to feel discouraged to aspire to codesmith because of your notes in the review

The program is designed to get you to a position to be able to get a mid level software engineering role or above and for 90% of graduates is does. We put together a more detailed outcomes report than any other program (http://bit.ly/codesmith-outcomes) - every single graduate’s outcome is listed (anonymized) with their salary and whether they found a role within 6 months - the average in LA is $105k (it’s worth working that out from the individual raw data in the report too if you’re interested)

We’d never encourage grads to lie about their experience - both as a matter of integrity and because it would be ineffective (as you would not succeed in the job). Instead grads often go in as mid level engineers and within a year are promoted to senior or even lead engineer (have a look at alumni at VideoAmp, Amazon and Stem) - because the point of Codesmith is to learn how to learn - and that allows grads to grow remarkably quickly after graduation

I love doing the free Javascript workshops I teach each week and seeing so many people who aren’t even applying to codesmith come through to learn. I hope enthusiasm for that never comes across as hype - but it is a genuine pleasure for me seeing people come together every week for hours on end to learn to code - calling on them, seeing them pair program and seeing their excitement.

As you say, investing 3 months in immersing yourself in software engineering, stepping away from a prior career and going through the job search is a huge commitment and so it’s vital to understand the culture, community and outcomes. That’s what makes the Codesmith community so special - I’d recommend talking to as many alumni, reading reviews and going to the workshops to get a true understanding.

We will continue to support you in your job search - so let us know when you’re available to talk more about strategy

• Justin • Graduate

Everything you've probably read about Codesmith is true. Its a tough worthwhile grind where you'll be thinking about code every waking/sleeping moment, (albeit maybe not while you're playing ping pong)

This program is definitely not for the faint of heart, but those that are looking to be stretched in what they know technically and then more. It's very much get out what you put in. There will be lows, where you'll be challenged to problem solve and debug with your pair programming partner, exuberant highs where you'll feel the happiness that comes with understand a complicated topic, and everything in-between. Its in my firm belief that there is no other program that competes with Codesmith and I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

• Worth it
    - 5/10/2018
    Kevin • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before joining Codesmith, I have been coding for a few years on and off.  I was building projects, but was always left with a feeling that I was hacking pieces together that I did not truly understand.

I started attending the Codesmith run meetups, JS The Hard Parts, and was surprised by how thorough the topics were explained.  Going under the hood and really understanding what is going on. Plus, the community was very helpful and I found myself surrounded by people who were also eager to learn and share their knowledge.

The program itself is very challenging, be prepared to put in the time and effort to learn and practice all the covered topics and build (exciting and challenging) projects to solidify your knowledge.  Staff and cohort-mates were there every step of the journey.

Easily the most exhausting, but rewarding, 3-months of my life.  All the hard work does not end after the program as job searching is a full-time commitment in itself.  It was all worth it and I have since found a job as a Software Engineer at a great company.

• Annie • Software Engineer • Graduate

Without being hyperbolic, Codesmith genuinely changed my life. I came into the program with a background in teaching math, already knowing that I loved problem-solving and buildling things. I wasn't sure, however, whether the hype about Codesmith was real, or whether I'd really be able to learn enough in 3 months to position myself for a real career in software engineering.

If you are relatively prepared with Javascript fundamentals and have a genuine passion for programming and engineering, Codesmith is a phenomenal program. The curriculum is almost entirely problem and project-based, meaning that you'll learn by doing, rather than by watching others. This means many many hours spent on your own or with a partner poring over documentation, writing things from scratch, and debugging code. It's important to note that the program is very self-driven. You definitely have access to mentors and instructors, and they've designed a great curriculum that ensures that you hit all of the important points/skills you need if you stay on track, but ultimately it is up to the student to figure almost everything out, with the help of his or her peers. I loved this environment and found that it really let me thrive and push myself to the best of my abilities. I built a production project here that I am genuinely proud of, and that has gotten recognition by engineers at companies like Netflix and Amazon.

The hiring support at Codesmith is really invaluable. It doesn't come until the last couple of weeks of the program, so I found myself worrying quite a bit during the first couple of months. They really give you targeted and specific guidance and feedback on resume writing, presenting yourself online, reaching out to companies, interviewing, and closing an offer. Obviously, you will have to be the one to follow through on all of their advice, but if you are persistent and have done your preparation, you'll be positioned to land a pretty great job. I received two awesome offers from companies this week, and the staff at Codesmith gave me advice for negotiating and signing on with the company I was most excited about.

The community at Codesmith is incredibly supportive. People are fun, positive, driven, and unafraid of failing. If you are driven by problem-solving and self-motivated to succeed, I think it's an ideal environment in which to level up and make a huge impact on your life.

• Graduate
    - 4/23/2018
    Frank • Graduate

Graduated from Cohort 2 in NYC this week. The last 13 weeks have been an amazing ride.

My background was in finance with some programming work. I quit a fairly well paying position in December to pursue further developing my programming skills, being able to make applications and tools in your freetime is an amazing skill.

All of the accepted residents have varying degrees of prior programming experience, in my cohort this ranged from a few months to over 10 years. One day before the program started, I messaged the Codesmith team and asked them if I should defer entrance, I did not feel ready. They told me many accepted residents often feel that way from the pre-course work and that I should stick it out for the first week to feel out my readiness. I'm glad I did, three days from graduation I accepted an offer from my dream job that I've wanted for the last 4 years.

Programming background depending, the curriculum is likely going to be challenging. The first 6 weeks (junior phase), you go through 2 day units that cover differently topics across the stack. Ideation week for your senior production project lasts 1 week, you then spend another 4 weeks (senior phase) working on a open source production project before spending the final 2 weeks preparing for post program. All together, I spent around 10-14 hours each day at the program from Monday-Saturday and also put in a few hours on Sunday.

Our production project was focused on improving the local development experience of a Kubernetes cluster. I had two amazing partners working on the project with me and we launched the project (see Watchpod on Github) to very positive feedback from members of the Kubernetes developer community.

Lastly, I want to dedicate a paragraph to the Codesmith team. One of the main reasons why I joined Codesmith over competing programs is because of the community. From Thursday night drinks to nerf wars, Codesmith does an amazing job fostering a caring and colloquial community. The staff puts in 110% to ensure the resident experience is as positive as possible. For the long hours they put into both emotional and intellectual support across the entire program, they deserve a tremendous applause. Kudos to the entire team, with special shoutouts to Victoria for always caring about the resident experience, Eric for the wonderful job search support, Brandon for convincing me to take part in this wonderful program, and lastly Will for building something amazing over the last 2 years. You guys have built something special, keep up the wonderful work. I'm excited to see the future of Codesmith with each cohort improving upon the last!

Response From: Olivia of Codesmith
    Title: New York Director
    Wednesday, Sep 12 2018
    Frank - it was so great to get to know you during your time at Codesmith, and to continue to stay in touch through your alumni involvement. We are thrilled that have stayed such a present member of the NY Codesmith community and can't wait to see how you grow in your role HOF Capital.
  • The Right Move
    - 2/21/2018
    Ryan • Graduate

I was working as a home automation systems programmer for 10 years and I could see that the market was changing, customers were leaning more and more on internet connected devices and I realized my career needed a course correction. I started to teach myself web development, I was going down the typical self-learning path and it was very frustrating. I'd get to spend maybe an hour or two per day going through tutorials and I would often end up stuck down a rabbit hole researching something tangentially related to what I was trying to learn. I had been spending some evenings attending the meetups that were put on by local bootcamps just to try to steer my self study. One evening I attended Codesmith's weekly JavaScript the Hard Parts meetup and I was very impressed both by the fact that Will the CEO was actually giving the lesson and that the atmosphere around the meetup was so friendly and invigorating. After a few months of careful research and deliberation I decided to attend Codesmith. I can say that my decision has paid off so far, I learned so much during the 12 weeks, most importantly I learned how to pick up a new technology quickly and how to work through blocks in development. Additionally I am now part of an awesome community of Codemith staff, students and alumni who are most intelligent, positive group I've ever met. All in all Codesmith was the right move for me.

• February 2018 grad
    - 2/21/2018
    Erik Larsen • Graduate

I'm fresh out of the November-February program. I've never before learned so much in so little time. I came in with only a smidgen of JavaScript knowledge, having completed the Codecademy JS course and gone to Codesmith's weekly LA meetup (JS: the Hard Parts) a few times. My background is completely non-technical, and I had no prior coding experience. Codesmith took me from there to creating a developer library that uses a Webpack loader to bundle files as Web Workers that can be used in a pool structure in 12 weeks! I don't think I would've even understood that sentence before starting.

Here are some of the things that set Codesmith apart:

• It's really demanding. At a minimum you'll be onsite 62 hours/week, and you should expect to be there a lot more.
    • Learning is accomplished by doing. There are lectures, but they are not the focus. The first four weeks are spent on JS units, and thereafter you work in teams on projects.
    • Technical communication skills are paramount. There is only one solo project, which lasts 2 days, in the whole curriculum. Everything else is pair programming or group projects.
    • The production project, which lasts 4 weeks, is the main focus. For a project to be approved, it has to require deep knowledge of an area of JS that will impress seasoned developers.
    • The staff is very supportive, and they do a lot of work from the admission process through the project phase to ensure that every cohort maintains a positive culture.

Codesmith is a big investment of time and money, but it's worth it. Having completed the program, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a passion for JS and a desire to take their skills to a whole new level. If you're in LA or NYC and thinking about doing a fast-track coding school, check out Codesmith's weekly JavaScript: the Hard Parts meetup.

• Justino • Graduate
    Codesmith's immersive full-stack JavaScript program helped expand and sharpen my software engineering skills. The collaborative culture and focus on improving one's communication and problem-solving skills made a huge difference in my growth and learning experience. I enjoyed the fun yet challenging environment created not only by the Codesmith team but also the program residents. I spent over 70+ hours every week coding, learning new concepts, reviewing people's code, solving challenging problems, and exchanging knowledge with others.

I particularly enjoyed the second half of the program when I worked with team of 2 other amazing software engineers. We built a collaborative, real-time text-editor that implements full end-to-end encryption and gives users privacy and the peace of mind that no third party is collecting or selling their data. This portion of the program taught me so much about team work, the value of pair-programming and testing, and the importance of having good communication skills. I had a rewarding and joyful experience during my time at Codesmith.
  • Jonathan • Applicant

I’ve made multiple attempts into getting into Software Engineering in my life, and credit my weekly attendance of Codesmith’s JavaScript – The Hard Parts workshops as the reason this attempt is succeeding. Will spares no effort to hammer in the importance of technical communication, step-by-step interpretation of the code, and understanding what's going on "under the hood” in Javascript. It helped me develop the fundamentals that were invaluable in passing the interviews for the programs I was looking into, including Hack Reactor and Codesmith itself.

No less importantly, Hard Parts brought me into contact with others taking their first steps toward becoming software engineers. I learned a lot working with them, but more than that, I was inspired by them. Seeing so many of my peers working so passionately towards the same goal as me helped me remained focused on my aspiration. Learning about their backgrounds and listening to their experiences provided perspective and reassurance. And when I was waiting in the reception area for my final chance at getting into the Codesmith program, their encouragement kept me from running for the door and rescheduling my interview another six months down the line.

I look forward to entering this program in two weeks and continuing my journey with this incredible team.

• Graduate
    - 2/11/2018
    Mark Romano • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

I began looking into software immersion programs in the winter of 2016. In searching for pair program partner to study with for technical interviews, I came across a person on Reddit, who was at the time a Codesmith student, who offered to help me study. Only at the end of our studies did he ask what program I was shooting for. I told him Hack Reactor, since it had a solid rep, and I was already living in the Bay Area. He pushed me to look into Codesmith, telling me he too had looked into HR. He moved all the way from Florida to LA to attend.

I applied to both, and got into both. I chose Codesmith, because my Reddit buddy praised the school so highly, and believed in the program so strongly. Since graduating, I firmly share his beliefs, and know I made the correct choice. There are three major factors that make Codesmith such a standout; an especially capable and talented student body, an emphasis on technical communication, and the strong sense of community the program fosters.

The student body at Codesmith is carefully selected . The standards for admission are tough. The technical interview was harder than HR by a long shot - it took me a couple of tries to get in. This was frustrating at the time, but this system results in a cohort with stronger technical abilities, so the material and the rate at which they teach it can be upped. There’s a cultural interview too. It’s not enough just to be really smart. Empathetic, team-focused, communicative, and social personalities are sought from applicants. The curriculum revolves around pair programming and project teams, so people who fill this criteria are strong fits for the program. This combination of technical abilities and conducive personalities results in learning environment where you can maximize your growth.

The most powerful skill set I was able to develop at Codesmith wasn’t learning JavaScript really well (though I did that, too), but technical communication. I can’t stress how important this ability is. When you’re interviewing for mid and senior level developer positions, being well-spoken and concise is sooo important. After all, asides from a coding challenge or two, the only way these interviewers can judge you is by the words you share with them. Being able to answer questions in an elegant, precise, and confident way is the best way to shine. But the perks of a strong technical communication ability don’t end there. After you’re hired, you’ll have to communicate with your team, both technical and non-technical members, in an efficient and approachable way. This’ll make you an especially valuable asset to your team.

The most enjoyable part of the program is the community and culture the Codesmith team has created. Graduates consistently maintain relations with Codesmith. Whether it’s coming back to for mock interviews of current students, host an open forum that details their job search story and their current roles, or just dropping by to hang out, alumni are a big part of the culture and are always looking to give back. Thursday nights are special night each week where students, staff, alumni, and friends put aside their work a little earlier than usual, and have a few drinks with each other. Very often the karaoke machine gets busted out. You haven’t seen anything until you’ve watched half a dozen engineers singing along to some N’Sync. There are beach days, bonfires, family-style dinners, kickball. And all of this fun happens alongside some of the most intense and rapid-paced learning you’ll ever have.

I really can’t say enough good things about Codesmith. I’m not trying to be dramatic, but it has been a bit of a life-changing experience. I’ve gained a large group of friends I’ve bonded very strongly to, an amazing job I feel proud of, and a new perspective on communication, problem solving, and life in general.

• Samantha • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith was the only place for me - coming from about 3 years experience as an AngularJS developer, I was looking for a way to quickly get my skills up to the next level.  Codesmith did that not only by teaching the newest technologies (React, Node), but by making sure students also truly understand the fundamentals and principles underlying all those great technologies.  The pair programming style of learning was extremely appealing and rewarding for me and has taken my technical communication and ability to program with other to a whole new level.

• Top Notch!
    - 2/6/2018
    Jonathan Perera • Graduate

Codesmith's immersive program truly is a cut above the rest.  There are a few things that I considered when making my decision to attend:

Material - not only is the course material relavent to the current job industry, it's extremely well structured.  All of the units that the Codesmith residents work through are laid out in a logical manner that builds upon your experiences in previous units.  By the time you know it, all the pieces connect and you come out with a wealth of knowledge that's highly sought after.

Instructors - as it turns out, the couse material, although important, is only a small factor in why Codesmith works. The team members here are amazing, explaining highly technical concepts and code walkthroughs with perfect technical detail and clarity - and it's not just code that they teach you. Codesmith specializes in honing your problem solving capabilities. This is a skill that trumps all others. During your software engineering journey, you're bound to run into countless scenarios where you just don't know the answer, or perhaps have no knowledge of the technology you're working with. How do you overcome those blocks? How do you tackle not knowing something? These are what the instructors are truly teaching you.  As you work through the material, the team is there to help you work any blocks or challenges that you may face, all while never revealing answers so you come to solutions on your own might - adding another notch to your belt of coding skills with each challenge you've solved. Eventually, you'll have enough notches to work through scenarios you thought previously impossible, regardless of the technology you're working in.

Culture - this last one seals the deal and puts Codesmith in a class of it's own. Codesmith is not just a coding school, it's a community. A tightly knit one at that. An environment of learning and self improvement with no judgement has been established here. This is the type of place where anyone and everyone is a resource to you, a place where you can flag any random person down in the hallway and they will drop what they're doing to help you. The community here is unlike any other you'll experience, you'll be surrounded by good natured, extremely friendly and highly intelligent people - it's honestly a bit addicting.

All in all I'm so glad I attended! It was truly a transformative process and I feel well prepared for what lay ahead.

• Excellent Choice
    - 2/5/2018
    Jon • Graduate

If you are considering any kind of software engineering education, you must at the very least check out Codesmith’s free `JavaScript the hard parts`. Over the course of a few months attending these weekly sessions I became convinced that Codesmith was the right choice for me. I enrolled in July, graduated in October and by November had an excellent offer from a great company in the Bay Area.

Codesmith instills great confidence and ambition in its residents, which is reflected by the quality of the open source projects produced.

For me, this was achieved by focussing on technical communication - a core part of the Codesmith experience. Only by having a solid understanding of foundational concepts and what’s going on ‘under the hood’ is it possible to effectively communicate complex problems in an articulate manner. This is an invaluable skill for interviews.

Building on this foundational understanding, the second half of the program helped develop my skills as an autonomous problem solver. In requiring residents to engage positively with the open source community, it helped address the inevitable imposter syndrome head on, and validate ourselves as software engineers.

It is a combination of deep understanding, excellence in technical communication, ambition of projects undertaken, and the culture and enthusiasm created by the Codesmith team that has led to the success of so many graduates, myself included, as professional software engineers.

• Life Changing
    - 2/3/2018
    Johnny • Front-End Software Engineer • Graduate

I'm a graduate of Codesmith who has been working as a software engineer now for about 4 months. I'm a naturally skeptical person, so I went into the program with a healthy dose of caution, trying to dampen my expecations on the promise of the program. I was so happy to discover that I have nothing but good things to say about the program. I was very surprised that Codesmith not only met my expectations, but exceeded them. The community is what makes it -- it's simultaneosly friendly, encouraging, and very supportive. The leadership and instructors set a wonderful tone for the whole program -- they're approachable, fun, friendly, and super knowledgable. It's such an amazing experience to be surrounded by driven, intellectually curious people non-stop for 12 weeks -- the dynamic is always so supportive, even during later weeks when everyone is burnt out, tired, and stressed to hit the next deadline. Sounds cheesy, but this place changed my life. I came out of the program with a whole new set of friends, and a job/career that I love. I couldn't recommend Codesmith more highly to someone who is cut out for it.

• Codesmith
    - 2/3/2018
    Ian

I think it's useful to provide some context with any review - I have an engineering (not computer science/engineering) BS from UCLA with a non-engineering career prior to my career change. That said, the majority of the people in my cohort came from entirely non-technical backgrounds.

I went into Codesmith with some self-study Javascript experience - as much as I can cram without losing direction/getting overwhelmed with the amount of breadth that comes with Javascript. Definitely enough for a junior web developer role, but I wanted to work on the more interesting and fun problems that come with a mid/sr level role.

Going through the program has prepared me for such a role for the following reasons:

1. A ton of hours pair programming - not only does this teach you to be a better technical communicator, but it also gives you a better in-depth understanding of core concepts and troubleshooting approaches. Not to mention - it also makes you better at reading other people's code (something that you'll need to do in your career)

2. Projects - the point of this program isn't to showcase how you've completed a 3-month immersive program to somehow justify that you are now qualified to be a software engineer. The point is to show that you’re able to perform and contribute as an engineer in a meaningful way. A reputable program should encourage you to come up with ambitious projects that directly impact other developers and contribute to the open source community (i.e. not CRUD apps). This signals to employers that you’re capable of tackling problems that real developers face.

3. Learning how to learn - part of learning to become a proficient software engineer is to be confronted with difficult and challenging engineering problems where the struggle is the norm rather than the exception. Codesmith goes out of its way to make sure that they're not just spoon-feeding you the answers for good reason. Make no mistake - it will be hard work before, during, and especially after the program.

The outcomes? Most people in my cohort (who, again, came from non-technical backgrounds) are gainfully employed with the salary expectations that were presented to them. The great and unexpected side-effect of this program is that I made friends and connections with awesome people who I would not have otherwise have met or bonded with. Work hard but don't forget to take the time to make those connections!

• MH • Software Engineer

I debated about whether or not to attend a coding bootcamp for over a year before finally making a decision to attend one. I knew that I wanted to change careers, but I wasn’t sure if coding bootcamps were worth the high price tag. I already had a graduate degree and felt like I couldn’t afford the time it would take to go back to school for to get another degree in computer science.

Attending Codesmith was a last-minute decision for me. I had been accepted into Hack Reactor, and was all set to attend. However, due to Hack Reactor’s fairly negative reviews at the time, I was doing some last-minute research before paying my registration fee. That’s when I discovered Codesmith, and decided to attend Hard Parts.

After Hard Parts, Will Sentence (the CEO/Founder) followed up with me personally to see how my experience had been. I thought that was great, and appreciated the personalization, so I started looking into Codesmith more deeply and it seemed like graduates’ starting salaries were higher than Hack Reactor or some other bootcamps I was attending.

I decided to apply, and was also pleased to find that the admission process was more challenging than Hack Reactor’s had been. I wanted to attend a program that would allow me to leave with the most advanced skills possible, so I felt like this was a good sign.  I had both a cultural and technical interview, and was admitted on my first try, although I hear this is not the norm.

Throughout the program, I never felt like I was learning. I was constantly afraid that I would never be able to learn enough (or learn fast enough) to land one of the amazing jobs that I had read about from other graduates, and I never felt adequate enough to call myself a developer.

However, 5 weeks after graduation, I received an amazing offer from one of Codesmith’s Hiring Day partners, one that is in line with Codesmith’s advertised graduate salaries. Not only that, but I LOVE my new job, the company and the team I work with. I honestly couldn’t have asked to land in a better situation.

Were there things I didn’t like about Codesmith? Sure. But at the end of the program, it landed me exactly where I wanted it to be, and for that reason, I would do it all over again. Could you learn everything Codesmith teaches on your own? Definitely. But in my experience, I would never have landed at the company I did with the salary I was offered in such a short amount of time without Codesmith. If you are considering Codesmith, I would say that the price is worth it if only for the career services aspect of everything. The resume building, personal narrative critiquing and Hiring Day opportunities are worth the price tag.

I’ll also say that throughout the program, Will, Haley and the rest of the staff were always ready and willing to listen to my concerns, work with me to shape the program to my specific needs and encourage me not to give up. I almost quit about halfway through the program, but I am so glad that I didn’t, because I know that I would NOT be where I am today if I had chosen to walk away.

• Simon • Software Engineer • Graduate

I took a risk and moved all the way from San Francisco to attend Codesmith's August 2016 cohort. At the time, Codesmith was still a relatively new Software Engineer program and trying to build its reputation as the best in the nation. There were already well established and reputable programs like Hack Reactor and App Academy. I got into all 3 programs, but I chose Codesmith for the following reasons:

1) Small, intimate cohort size (15-20 students max). You will get a chance to pair with everyone in your cohort and connect on a deeper level beyond the curriculum. The staff and peers will not let you fall behind.
    2) Very selective. Codesmith only admits smart, motivated, empathetic, and thoughtful peers. You will meet amazing people from all walks of life and build relationships that will last beyond the 12 weeks.
    3) Projects. You build challenging and ambitious projects you are proud to put on your portfolio and speak passionately about when you are job seeking.
    4) Curriculum. Modern tech stack with emphasis on best practices.
    5) Support. Routine check ins , interview practice, job search tips, algorithm practice, soft skill practice, etc.
    6) Hiring day. 20ish companies come out on the last day to hire you! What other program even has hiring day anymore?

Tips:
    Be prepared and committed work 8-12 hrs a day for 6 days a week.
    Continue to work just as hard when the program has concluded. Remember nothing is guaranteed.
    You will have the confidence and knowledge to become a mid-level developer.
    Imposter syndrome is real. Just know it happens at every level. The more you know, the more you don't know.

Finals thoughts:
    It's been 1.5 years since I completed the program. I made a choice, and it paid off. Codesmith was one of the best experiences of my life and I would do it many times over.

• Aaron Goldsmith • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had completed General Assembly's 12 week Web Development Immersive prior to attending Codesmith, and wasn't having much luck on the job search.  After one session of Javascript: The Hard Parts, I knew that Codesmith was how I would be able to gain the requisite knowledge to do well in interviews and land a job.  The in-depth study of computer science fundamentals was crucial, and gave me the edge I needed.  Moreovever, Codesmith CEO Will Sentance is an amazing human being, and his passion for software engineering was something that I was so happy to have been able to witness.

The hours are long, but there is a method to the madness; your future co-workers will be astounded by your work ethic!  I was particularly impressed with the job-preparation elements of the course; they share with you the tools to package and present yourself as a capable engineer (even with no previous experience).  The mock-interviews and practice white-boarding sessions were a great preview to the interview process.  The emphasis Codesmith puts on pair programming is also fantastic, as learning to work well with others will serve you well down the line.

Two months after graduation, and about 5 or 6 on-site technical interviews, I wound up as a full-stack software engineer for Rotten Tomatoes. It's important to not slack off after graduation; the job-search is your job.  During the day you should be either interviewing or applying, and in the evenings, you should be learning/coding.  Don't forget to take care of yourself, eat well and exercise if you can.

Like others have said on here, trust the process.  The curriculum is spot on.  Practice algorithm challegnes daily, I particularly like Codewars.  Also, try to have a personal website that showcases some completed and deployed applications you built; this was something I had from General Assembly coming into Codesmith that some of my peers didn't have, and I feel like it made things a bit easier for me, although as far as I know, all of my classmates have jobs now.

Will and his team lay out everything for you, they give you the knowledge and the tools to get what you want, it's just up to you to walk the path and put in work.

• Chris • Student

Could I have gotten to the place I am now without attending Codesmith? Probably. Could I have done it in such a short time frame, and would I have same the confidence in my ablities I do now? Absolutely not. Codesmith is an amazing software engineering program that is designed for and depends on your success. I could not reccomend it more, both as a Career accelerator, and probably the most fun (and stressful) few months of your life. Worth every penny and more.

• Jake • Applicant

The primer for the program (JavaScript the Hard Parts) takes place Thursday nights in Los Angeles, and varies for other cities, and is a great introduction to/review of concepts that those learning the JavaScript language may struggle with initially. The class is interactive, engaging, and gives a good sense of what the program entails. In each session a concept is reviewed. First the concept is defined, then we examine what might make it a novel concept and especially important for the language, and finally review examples line by line to understand what is happening in each line that is executed.

The Hard Parts sessions also include pair programming time (again, emphasizing communication and working in teams) and an opportunity for problem solving that might be from a different perspective. After trying online resources, a handful of books and other in-person bootcamps I found JS Hard Parts to sync best with my learning style, meet other people with my level of experience and interest, and the best overall explanation of the concepts being reviewed. This is in part because the classes are in depth, but the engagement of others in the room means more people ask questions I may not have thought to ask, and in turn gives me a better understanding of the subject.

Prior to deciding to pursue a career change and become a developer I had met and worked at a company with 3 Codesmith grads. My role was in operations, but everyone in the company knew one another and I had a handful of conversations with them about work/nonwork. Besides being generally great people they were often recognized for the things the Codesmith program equipped them with including: (naturally) a deep understanding of JavaScript and (importantly) effective communication skills that prepared them to work in a team with others. I have heard from a number of other developers who have been in the field for years that the ability to complete projects independently will only open up a bit of the professional world and prepare you success where you have complete control. Codesmith's emphasis on collaborating and effective communication prepares graduates to work in a group environment, and promotes synergy in a cognizant way.

• Jacob Worrel • Software Engineer • Graduate

Coming to Codesmith for the first time can be a bit of a surreal experience. I remember when I walked through the elevator doors to attend "JavaScript: the Hard Parts," not sure what to expect. I was nervous because I hardly felt like I had a grasp on the easy parts of JavaScript and was certain I was in over my head. What's a higher order function, anyway?

6 months later, I'm writing scalable web apps and front end architectures using bleeding edge technology and I've got data structures and algorithms practically oozing out of my fingernails. I wouldn't be the Software Engineer that I am today without the support of my cohort mates who struggled with me through the program and the staff who guided me throughout the process.

The amount of attention paid to each student to ensure their success throughout the program and beyond is astonishing. I've seen staff stay long after their scheduled hours, just to work through challenges with students or give impromptu lectures, not because they have to but because they genuinely care about all things software and web-related and want to share their knowledge with others. That enthusiasm to dig deep into computer science and JavaScript fundamentals permeate the entire space, an awesome startup like environment where day after day people are coding late into the night.

Codesmith isn't a bootcamp. It's a community of people who are extremely passionate about learning and building new things- a truly special place I'm so thankful I was able to be a part of.

• Life changing!
    - 1/31/2018
    Ian • Software Developer • Graduate

Thanks to Codesmith, I was able to land a job as a GIS Software Developer.

Curriculum - 5 Stars

The curriculum extensively covers the basics to advanced topics in Software Engineering and everything inbetween. There are lectures, review sessions, and everything that else that you would expect from a traditional teaching approach, but what I believe separates Codesmith from any other program is their heavy focus on project building and exercises that have real world applications. There is a lot of hands on experiences which is honestly wonderful because it provides opportunities to solidify the materials that have been taught.

Instructors - 5 Stars

The instructors genuinely care about a student's success. I'm the type that will ask a lot of questions if I don't understand something. I don't know how many questions I have asked, but all I know was that each question was treated with equal importance. So if you are like me, don't be afraid and ask away. Every single one of the instructors are highly approachable and they will do whatever it takes to make sure you understand even if they literally have to sit next to you hours on end.

Job Assisstance - 5 Stars

The job assisstance aspect of the program is exceptional. They do everything like mock phone and on-site interviews, whiteboarding sessions, resume builders, and follow-ups. The staff do their best to make sure you are ready and confident to go through the entire job hunting process.

Overall Experience - 5 Stars

I have nothing, but praise for this program. As a warning though, you will only get what you put in. Codesmith is amazing and provides you with the foundation and skillset to succeed; however, if you don't put in the work, you won't get much out of it. This program is not a walk in the park.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We continue to be impressed by our grads as the majority (68%) accept offers of over $110k, ranking Codesmith LA the highest median starting salary for CIRR-member programs.

For transparency, here is the breakdown of our graduates earning over $110k from 7/01/2018 - 12/31/2018:
  • $110-120k: 17.9%