blue-ocean-coding-logo

Blue Ocean Coding

Blue Ocean Coding

Blue Ocean Coding is a full-time, 12-week, and part-time, 24-week full-stack coding bootcamp in Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. Students will have a hands-on learning experience focused on Microsoft .NET and C# to build real-world software applications. Blue Ocean Coding’s mission is to provide motivated students with a high-quality programming education that is immediately applicable to student programming career goals. To ensure that Blue Ocean Coding’s program is up-to-date with industry trends, industry developers with over 10 years of experience use their expertise to constantly improve the curriculum.

Prospective students do not need prior software development experience to attend as instructors will start off with the basics of programming before addressing more advanced topics. To apply, applicants must fill out a short online form, take an assessment test, and have an admissions interview. Each Blue Ocean Coding student receives one-on-one career coaching and resume writing services from human resources and industry professionals to help them land a new developer role after the program.

Blue Ocean Coding is a division of Hondros Education Group which has over 40 years of experience serving adult learners who are transitioning careers.

Recent Blue Ocean Coding Reviews: Rating 2.89

all (19) reviews for Blue Ocean Coding →

Recent Blue Ocean Coding News

• Full Time 12 Week Bootcamp

Cleveland, Columbus
      Students will build real-world software applications with C#, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NEt, MVC, and SQL. Monday - Friday - 8am - 5pm
      Employer Sponsored Tuition Assistance/Tuition ReimbursementMany employers offer programs to cover advanced education for their employees. Your employer may offer funds to assist you in achieving your education goals.Education First Credit Union - offers an easy and economical way to cover the tuition expenses for the Blue Ocean Coding bootcamp. Click here to find out more about financing. Please contact us with any tuition questions.
      A twelve (12) month payment plan is available to students who qualify. 529 Plans: Ohio College Savings Plan – You may use your funds at Blue Ocean Coding!
      Grant Opportunities: The Ohio State Board of Career Colleges & Schools has approved grants for Blue Ocean Coding for Women in Coding and Veterans in Coding.
      You do not need previous experience to enroll in the bootcamp. Our curriculum is structured to ensure novice coders are able to hit the ground running and keep pace with the class.
      Interview
    • Part Time 24 Week Bootcamp

Cleveland, Columbus
      Students will build real-world software applications with C#, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NEt, MVC, and SQL. Monday – Thursday 6pm - 10pm and every other Saturday 8am - 5pm
      Interview

• Wayne • Unemployed • Graduate

This course promises job placement and that you will learn how to code, even if you have zero coding experience. This claim is ridiculous. I went through the course and by the time it was completed I still didn’t understand coding. The instructor was switched out what seemed like every other week. No consistency and no real help learning how to code. I was there for 3 months and gave them 12,000 dollars and I can not write a simple app. DON’T TAKE THIS COURSE!!!

• Ed  User Photo
      Ed • IT Intern • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the July ‘17 class and had high hopes going in.  I wanted to wait until I had a job so I could give a review based on the entire experience, and just be honest. I’ll go in to this saying I genuinely liked every employee at BOC, but I’m going to give my negative and positive opinions on the program so prospective students don’t have to decide between 5 star and 1 star reviews.

These are only my opinions based on what I observed and experienced during my time at BOC. The differences between the July class and October class are like night and day, mostly in that October’s class had a regular instructor that was very invested in the success of the students.  If you’re going to attend BOC in 2018, start preparing now.  I’ll repeat it later in this write up but start studying c# and Object Oriented Programming prior to day one.  Getting a head start on these will prove invaluable to your time at BOC.

The first day we were informed they had parted ways with the instructor from the previous class(after talking to students from that class it was no big loss for us), and that they were actively seeking someone to replace him.  The first 3 weeks we would be learning c#, and we would be taught by the Director of Education.  Those three weeks were good, she knows her stuff and would step outside the curriculum to explain topics in more depth or less depending on what we needed after those 3 weeks however the instructor carousel began.

The 4th week we were covering HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Jquery. A guy with experience in those languages was brought in and he just read out of the book to us. We weren’t going too deep into these topics so I didn’t put a lot of thought into it at the time.

Week 5 started ASP.net and a new instructor. The new instructor came with his own learning curve, a thick Indian accent. He was aware and would stop to repeat things if we needed them to be repeated and he was a great guy, but he also just read out of the book to us then we would do the labs. This is when toxicity crept into the class and a few students stopped doing labs or working on any actual coding. They were just there to distract and stir up negativity.

At week 8 another new instructor showed up, this time a former student of BOC (she also spent many years in the IT field prior to this) who’s only teaching credentials was homeschooling her child. We were in crunch time at this point learning MVC, SQL, finishing resumes, interviewing, and working on our projects. She may have known the material but she wasn’t able to effectively teach it to us. To be fair to her many students had checked out at this point and she was having a hard time dealing with people who weren’t engaged in the material.

Now, reading to this point you may be thinking, “what a nightmare”, and that’s fair. Here’s the thing, despite all the issues, we had two students in my class who really took to the material and essentially self taught themselves and had jobs right after graduation. One had zero experience in coding before this and one had taken a java class. I attended some of the classes in the October session when they were doing ASP.net and they had found an instructor who was awesome for, and to my knowledge all of them except maybe one is employed now less than a month after graduation.

More positive, their career services were great. The gentleman who helped us polish our resume was very motivating and had a passion for helping us succeed. Everyone in the office genuinely cares about the success of the student.  I was nervous about interviews but after a couple I realized that the effort I put into preparing and the help I received had really paid off.  Also I should mention that in December they held a workshop for unemployed graduates to help them keep their skills sharp, only 2 of us attended, but I found it very helpful  they also paid for unemployed graduates to attend Ohio Dev Fest to network.

It took me three months to get a job, there were some personal things going on so for the first 2 months I wasn’t trying as hard as I should have been. Once I buckled down and with the help of BOC I was able to get several interviews and landed a position.

The program is just over a year old and it’s unfortunate that I attended when they were hitting some of their biggest road bumps. If asked what could have been done differently, obviously a better instructor for the last 9 weeks. The main project should have had check points throughout the course. And an awareness of students who are frustrated and giving up, to either help them bounce back or remove them from the class before they become toxic. To my knowledge all these issues were fixed with the class that followed mine. I wasn’t a huge fan of the curriculum but to other reviews who complained about it not being for new coders I point to the student who had no coding experience and was at the top of our class using only the curriculum. My issue is I’ve never been a textbook learner so instructors reading the same stuff that I zoned when reading it myself out on wasn’t going to help me. Another thing I would recommend to BOC is more hands on coding outside of the curriculum labs. And my final recommendation would be to give students a head start so they know what they will be in for. I would have been in a much better spot going in if I had studied c# for a week or two going in

Would I recommend BOC to someone? I’d recommend they ask more questions going into than I did. $12,500 is a lot of money to invest into a three month program. My biggest regret is not waiting for the October class as it went smooth and their instructor carousel was over. So yes, I would recommend the program to someone who is a self starter and is ready to dedicate all of their time for 3 months to learning as much as they can about .net development. If you can’t or won’t commit most of your time in and out of the class to absorbing the information, don’t expect great results. With your maximum amount of effort and a Little right place at the right time you’ll be able to get started on a new career quickly after graduation, but the end of the day it has nothing to do with bad instructors or disruptive classmates, it’s all on you. You get out what you put in.

• Jeff  User Photo
      Jeff • Performance Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came to BOC with no knowledge of Computer Science, but after a few hours into the course I knew it would take hard work and dedication to become successful. It does take hard work to become successful in the real world.

I was part of the very first class that was held. Yes there were bumps in the road, but that is to be expected. Did it sell me short? NO! The course was challenging yet fun. The instructors that I had were very well versed in the Computer Science areas.  Through out the class if I had any issues or felt I was falling behind, not only did my classmates step up to the table so did anyone on the staff, they made sure I would be successful.

After graduation I was still able to show up to get help in finding a job, I did this almost every week till I was able to find a position. This came from hard work once again, from making calls to the companies that were brought in to the school to help us along. To sitting with the administration going over my resume to make sure it was correct for the type of job i was looking for. Yes they will help you along the way to get you a job, but this also does take effort on your part to by calling, reaching out to those places that are brought in for interviews and most of important. The interview is on you! If you put in the time, the effort, stick with it you can and will make it!

Overal i was very satisfied with the course. I was able to make a big change in my career. Being 40 years old can be very scary making a change, but I am glad that I made the choice. Now I am off to bigger and better things with the ablility and flexability that paid off from hard work and dedication.

• Billing Software Engineer for Capgemini/TCube Solutions  User Photo
      Billing Software Engineer for Capgemini/TCube Solutions • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

From the beginning I realized the hours I would have to put in for a successful outcome. PLEASE don't waste your time if you don't have a true passion for computer science.

I was apart of the first class in Blue Ocean ever. I had ZERO experience nor knowledge of technology, however, I had a STRONG INTEREST. The course is very cut and dry, challenging, and all topics, materials and schedules are provided from the beginning. The instructors have all seemed to be well-versed in computer science and were diligent enough to really teach thoroughly. The school's administration has been nothing but professional, understanding and just all around AWESOME.

After being in the course I felt as though I wasn't confidently prepared. I expressed this concern to BOC and they were more than willing to help me get rid of my doubt by offering me more time in the following course until I really had a firm understanding. Also, the school arranged the very the interview that led to my first programming job.

So BOC is alike any other institution that looks to condition and shape people into something greater. But the outcome is HEAVILY dependent on yout input. Decide whether or not that this is the field for you because the certificate is not a voucher for a job. Its up to YOU to understand and work hard. Anything outside of that BOC will fill in the blanks. Blue Ocean is a young educational institution with mature ambitions.

• yacooba • Student

Realized program was bad week 1, left and got refund right away. Learned more on my own than the students who finished the program, except I have 12,500 more dollars than them. Bought bitcoin with my refund and made tons of money. Now I bought the rights to the 1998 popular search site "Ask Jeeves". I bringing it back Yacooba style, look out google I play for keeps.

• Review
      - 11/10/2017
      Stephen • Graduate

There were many things that were in the "contract" the paper agreement and verbal statements that we signed and were told that we never recieved. We were told that there were plenty of jobs that needed to be filled and that we would get a postion, that couldn't be further from the truth everything needed experience which we did not have. Then there is the cap stone project that was never completed we never got to finish te project that shows off all that we learned during the class. On top of that the instructor of our class was not there the last few days for us to finish our project and that we were left to do projects out of our books to replace our project. As well the curriculum was constantly chagning and we were always caught in the cross fire of it. Having to create our own quizzes and more. As well the course could never have one teacher stay during the day classes, they changed each time.

• sr analyst
      - 10/20/2017
      Sudhir Ghimire • sr.Analyst • Graduate

Excellent overall experience. Found the job by the end of the graduation. Very positive experience , positive and helpful staff and support system to find job after graduation.

• Rayshawn R Rankin • Associate Consultant • Graduate

If you're considering taking a coding bootcamp, look no further! The Staff and instructors at Blue Ocean are very supportive and incouraging. The course work is very hands on and you really get to learn a very nice skill set that will have employers knocking your door down. It doesnt stop there, as the staff at Blue Ocean are actively setting up appointments for you to meet with potential employers and career resources. They give you very strong direction when it comes to interview preparation and career coaching. All and all i would say my experience with Blue Ocean has been nothing less than excellent, you will get out what you put in and then they'll add sprinkles.

• It is not "Easy"
      - 10/20/2017
      David Y • Student

Am a current student of Blue Ocean Coding and my 3rd week in class. Is been a challenge, but perseverance and dedication is puching me towards my goal. The instructors are outstanding and willing to help in anyway. Everybody that I've come in contact with at the school have been very help. Getting a certificate from an institution will not get you the employment you want, is what you are willing to do to achieve that goal. The help is there whenever you need it. Please take advantage. Let's have fun!! Remember " Is what you do when no one is watching." Thanks

• Brian Calhoun • Student

I have no professional software development expierence and very little amateur coding expierence.  I come from almost a decade in Japanese automotive manufacturing and decided I needed a career change.  After much research I came to the decision that Blue Ocean Coding was my road to that change.

I am currently wrapping up my third week in the full time day class, and it has easily been the most mentally challenging 3 weeks of my life. With 8 hours of class a day, I am also studying for 4 hours a night in addition to 8-10 hours a day on the weekends. This is to give myself the best oppurtunity to succeed and excel when the time counts.

That additional time doesnt just go to the lessons, labs, and projects given to you so you can develop real world technical skills.  It also goes to the career services BOC offers, they have dedicated staff to guide you in acheiving real world business culture skills as well.  This has been just as valuable to me as the coding instruction.  The career services include everything from teaching you how to construct a resume, to creating a cover letter, how to best present yourself for future employers, and constructive feedback to mock interview questions.  The career services support started week 1 and I can already tell a difference for me on week 3 at this point.

Between the class Instructors, the Career Services staff, and everyone in between I can't imagine any other program or facility giving the kind of support BOC has offered me thus far.  A day has not gone by where the whole class hasn't been asked 4 or 5 times if we understand all of the days concepts and homework requirements. This includes further offers to review any lessons again before we leave.

It is a lot of time and money to invest, but I truly believe it will be absolutely worth it in the end as BOC seems to be as dedicated to me as I am to my education and career change.

• Katy Gorrell • Jr. Developer/BA • Graduate

I came to BOC student as a bartender and I am currently working as a Jr. Developer, so the program works if you are willing to put in the time and effort that it takes to learn a new skill. The great thing about BOC is that the staff and instrctors really do want you to succeed. After I graduated the head of HR constantly cheked in with me to make sure my resume/cover letter were the best they could be. When I needed financial assitance during my classes because I was having trouble working full time and keeping up with the course load, the financial advisor listened to my concerns and worked with me to create a repayment plan that would allow me to devote more time to my studies. And when a personal tragedy struck during my time with BOC the intructors and program director made sure that I did not fall behind, going to far as offering to tutor me after class.

Yes, there were times when I wished we had spent moretime on this or less time on that, but I discussed these concerns with the program director so future students could reap the benefits of not being the first class. From what I have heard the program is just getting better and better becasue the people at BOC are dedicated and passionate.

• Vinny • Graduate

The course really shined here for me.  The career services were top notch and I had access to a professional who helped revise my resume multiple times over the 12 week program.  I felt incredibly prepared sending out my resumes and cover letters.  I am currently in a posiiton that I interviewed for at their hiring event and had multiple interviews with other companies from the mock interview event as well as the hiring event.  If you choose to utilize the resources and can take some criticism they can help you immensely.

As a complete neophyte I learned as much as possible.  C#, HTML, CSS, ASP.NET, and SQL are the major pieces of the course with some MVC, JavaScript, and jQuery tossed in.  I feel confident in my skills in the primary subjects and am working to bolster my knowledge in the secondary ones.

We had many instructors during my class.  We were told we would start with one instructor, actually started with a second, had a third for a week, a fourth for three weeks, and a fifth to close out the course.  Not ideal, but I was able to learn something different from each of them and use it to my benefit.  Every job isn't going to be standardized and this jumble actually helped promote that realism to me.

I put everything on the line going into Blue Ocean Coding and worked hard to ensure that I comprehended the concepts completely.  My ultimate goal was to walk out of the camp with a job and I did.  It was not without long nights reading, five different highlighters, coding, troubleshooting, and thinking did I come out successful.  But thanks to the program I have changed my life.

Ultimately, you get out what you put in to this course.  If you want to be successful and come out of the course with a job then work hard, read the books, ask questions, and do the assignments.

• Former student
      - 12/12/2017
      Scam! Scam! Scam! Hondros should be ashamed of themselves! This program is an absolute scam. I chose BOC because I thought that being part of Hondros College it would be a great program. I couldn't be more wrong. A day of class consist of the instructor reading from the book and then doing a few exercises at the end of the chapter. When it comes to projects the majority is Windows desktop applications. Only one web project which nobody could finish because it was given too late. I had to come in after the 12 week course for another 4 weeks to finish it. The hiring event was a joke. Just a bunch of recruiters bringing their new hires to practice interviewing. Nobody received offers or even feedback. I heard they are changing the program to Java because they can't place anyone in C# positions. Pathetic that they take your money and use you as a test subject to see what works. Switching tech stack admits fault and students should be refunded. All I can say is stay away from this program. You will regret it like the 30+ unemployed people that went through the program. Check out We Can Code It, Tech Elevator, or some other course. Blue Ocean Coding has no connections and will not help you find work. They will just send your resume to companies along with the other 30+ people struggling to find work. Companies will call you back saying we need a bachelors and 5 years experience for this job but yet BOC sent them my resume. I don't think BOCs staff even tries to help. They're clueless and know nothing of the tech industry. Beware! You have been warned! Save yourself 12k and avoid BOC like the plague. Don't believe me? Go on LinkedIn and ask some former students. There are some honest ones that will keep it real with you. And remember it started as a .Net program and is suppose to switch to Java soon. Which means you will be the new test subjects! Avoid Avoid Avoid
    • Anonymous • Unemployed

1.  You won't be able to keep a copy of materials presented.

2.  Quality of Murach book materials is very poor quality.  Downloaded exercises will not give hints or clues of what the learner should be seeing = poor learning experience.

3.  Change of instructors was constant, no one instructor present at any length of time.

4.  Learning plans, when not passing their written exam, never adhered to for better learning experience.

5. Student Teachers are never available and no experience with the given course work, when the instructor cannot be available or to present the material in a different learning voice.

6. When presenting the learning challenges by the student, the "fault" is placed on the student.  Always given the option to come back and take refreshers on the material but the problem with this is that the learners need a job today.  When presented this argument, BOC staff stated repeatedly that they will help to get a job... But the same jobs were presented = everything but the material in which we learned in class.

7.  When recruiters were invited in, the materials that were class room/BOC driven, those same recruiters said that the only roles that the students were qualified to be placed = Help Desk.  Not SQL, not C# scripting, not developing, nor any other reason why we spent the funds to take the class to be qualified.

8. Messages have been passed to other students that when a negative review is posted on BOC, the Director will call that student and question why such a negative review, harassing them instead of recognizing and addressing the problems.

9. Every correspondance from management BOC staff, to date, will point the finger back to the student - never about content of the program.  All correspondance is, likely, to deflect legal fault of the school.

This is not the coding school you are looking for to make a new career.  Don't spend the money here.

• Bad...Just Don't
      - 11/11/2017
      Anonymous • Unemployed • Graduate

This program has zero relationships with hiring companies. Once you graduate you are on your own and no one will give you the time of day because you don't have any experience. I could be the best coder in the world but no one will call me for an interview. This is where the program needs to be the strongest is job placement except we just get an outdated google doc with jobs 3 months old on it. The program needs to have relationships with hiring companies who are willing to overlook the experience and hire students directly  because they respect the education Blue Ocean coding provides. I thought the hiring event would have J.P Morgan, Cardinal Health, Nationwide, and the State of Ohio but we got interviews with 2nd rate recruiters who never even called me back for a help desk job. I have now lowered my job expectations to applying to help desk jobs and still can't get the time of day. If I wanted help desk I could have spent $300 and gotten compTIA + Certification and have more opportunites than I do now. Go to Tech Elevator or We Can Code IT, or just save yourself a ton of money and get certifications you will probably get more calls back than me.

• Anonymous • unemployed • Graduate

I was very hopeful this would be a great experience and help me gain entry into a software development career. Was told there is a promising 80% job placement and sometimes before the program is even finished, yet not one employer/recruiter setup through the school’s placement program will call me back. Many former students I know have been trying to land their first job for 6+ months. I gained knowledge and skills only because the program gives you the laptop with the software and the textbooks so I had everything I needed to teach myself once I got home from class. Classmates were coming in everyday and then putting headphones on doing online tutorials for the 8 hours rather than class participation because they would learn more. When there was a topic I really needed to grasp I would just stay home and learn from other sources, might as well cut to the chase than wasting my day in class and using up my night to do the learning.

At the open house I met who was suppose to be my future instructor, then showed up on the first day to a different one which is fine but then throughout the program ended up having a total of 4 instructors all who were temporary for a couple weeks or so just to fill in and babysit us and read the textbook to us line by line (great people personally though). They finally hired a fulltime instructor with 3 weeks to go who was very nice and really cared to help you learn but not enough time left to go over previous topics.

This program could be good someday but as of now they are doing everything for the first time and you are the guinea pig. The quality is very low yet they are charging similar to high quality and established boot-camps around. If it was half the price then I would completely understand but if you’re going to charge almost a year’s worth of tuition at any local university for only 12 weeks then the instructional expertise and quality should be astounding. The price that is charged sets the bar for expected quality; charge less for lower quality and reviews will then be relative to that. Would wait awhile before making an investment/risk in this program to see where it goes.

• Former Student
      - 10/12/2017

The course relied heavily on instruction from the supplied books. These books did not seem to be written to the level of a beginner, who in most cases throughout the class were just exposed to this material for the first time.

Not having a set instructor and simply filling time with several instructors, one who knew his material but was very difficult to understand, was a significant distraction.

What should have been working and collaboration within groups ended up with each student on his or her own to struggle through the course.

The instructors were spread thin when helping a whole room full of students who were struggling to understand the material. The class instruction was reduced to reading the book chapters to the students as opposed to applying knowledge or breaking down examples to help understanding from different perspectives.

I chose this class based on the idea of having instruction and guidance as opposed to learning the material online by myself. But in reality the course felt very much like a self-guided course with just a meeting site.