bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (441) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Justin Boltz • Junior Full Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer • Graduate

After finishing the Bloc program and landing a job with a great startup, I would say Bloc is probably one of the best choices that exist for a software developer bootcamp. The curriculum is solid, and since it focuses on Ruby on Rails and JavaScript, you're going to come out with knowledge that is relevant for the current job market. Most of my mentors were a huge help and really made me feel like Bloc was worth every penny, but I did have one mentor for a portion of the program that was underwhelming. Bloc doesn't have a placement program or much of an established network when it comes to the job search, but they do equip you with the tools to make sure you're able to land an interview. Overall I would say it's definitely worth it, and if you get a mentor that just isn't a great fit, request a new one sooner than later.

• Diana Marie  User Photo
    Diana Marie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This program has many positive aspects to it, but there are some realities that I wish I knew before signing up.

Pros: I am very excited with my portfolio.  The effort that you put into work, definitely reflects the final outcome of your portfolio.  When I addressed my concerns and frustrations, the program coordinators were very accomodating extending my schedule.  The curriculum is constantly being updated and is accessible for students after they are finished with the program.

Cons: I went through many different mentors and grading team members and the quality varies.  Some are excellent and very professional - others had much less to offer in terms of experience and suggestions. Since the program is online, it seems that the coordination is not in sync between the grading team, the mentor, and the slack coaches - so it feels very disjointed and confusing at times.  The checkpoints are often set-up in a way where you need to finish one before moving on to the next one.  The grading team is supposed to give feedback within 48 hours, but many times for me this extended up to 4-5 days!  This was frustrating for me to keep the momentum going, especially since the grading team usually asks for at least 2-3 revisions.  I am a good student and always tried my best, so I found this scenario to be extremely frustrating.  With a goal of 3 checkpoints per week (while working and studying), this situation was not maintainable when I was waiting so long for feedback.

Final thoughts: I know the program has grown big quickly and it feels to be increasingly disconnected (especially with recent changes). I was feelling lost in a series of checkpoint revisions between mentors, grading team, and coaches, who would say conflicting things then leave me lost until the next meeting or checkpoint revision feedback.  I didn't feel like they were fully there and available for me, but rather waiting for the time to be up.  Even the slack coaches who were supposed to be available immediately, usually had a whole queue of other students to help and half the time responded with things like "i'm about to clock out! will forward to next coach." - and very often I just left the question.

These are just some things that I wish I knew going into the program because I could have better prepared myself for the experience.  I am certainly surprised by all the solid 5 star reviews - and I do recall being asked to leave feedback about 1 week into the program before I had the full experience of it - so take the other reviews with a grain of salt!  I suggest researching deeply into the various programs before choosing, so you make sure that you join a bootcamp with the cirriculum and support system that you can thrive in.

• Kacie  User Photo
    Kacie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I'm surprised to see that there are so many straight-up positive reviews of Bloc. I'm a graduate of the Designer program, I can say they got some things right and some things still need work. I'll start with the not-so-great. The curriculum around front end dev felt piecemeal and choppy. I had to slow down a lot during those sections to seek out other resources because their lessons were confusing. The self-paced program made it easy to get more time to slow down when I needed to.

I had different 5 mentors in the 14 months it took me to complete the program. Some gave constructive criticism but others just patted me on the head and said "good job". That was frustrating at points, however, it was very easy to change mentors when I wasn't satisfied, and I recommend changing if you're not getting what you want out of your mentor sessions.

I'm the kind of person who likes to collaborate, so I felt pretty lonely in my work for most of the time I was in Bloc. I recommend engaging as much as possible with the social channels on Slack and going to events/meetups early on to connect with other designers.

I appreciated how much emphasis there was on career prep and how much support I got in my job search. Job searching is the worst kind of boring work you'll ever have to do and it takes a lot of energy to stay motivated. My career coach was very supportive and helped me get to the point where I felt confident sending out my portfolio, resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.

I supplemented a lot of the curriculum with my own reading list. Bloc, for example, might just say "make a user survey", but not address how to approach it or what makes a good survey question. There are plenty of books and articles on the subject, so I would suggest building in some time for non-required reading and research.

UX is an emerging field that is changing all the time and Bloc is making an effort to remain flexible and change with it. I appreciate that they are really good about asking for feedback and constantly making changes to improve the program.

Overall, I would say this program is challenging and you have to bring a lot of intention, motivation, and curiosity to be successful. You will probably be frustrated with it at some points, but the people are great and it's a good value for the price point.

• Design Track
    - 7/4/2019
    Joseph Jabkiewicz  User Photo
    Joseph Jabkiewicz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Beginning to detail my time with Bloc and all of the value this Program/Team has brought me - is itself already another blog post. As I was a community college dropout, moving around the States, no real direction or passion other than art and travel- I want this review to reach those people who are possibly in a similar situation - You can do it, and Bloc has your back.

The curriculum itself kept me focused, inspired, and motivated to reach my goal of becoming a Designer. The hard skills and soft skills alike, were a refreshing look into the Design world and gave me a whole new perspective on the way I view failures, goals, and hard-work.

I just recently completed the program and the amount of growth I made in a year is inspiring and exciting- I feel that I could write so much about the positive impact Bloc has had on my life, and I see my future is a lot brighter now because of these skills Ive acquired.

A huge standout that I didnt notice in other programs, was Bloc's Mentorship program. Being paired with a Senior Designer is so invaluable to online-curriculums such as this.  Beyong having the personal relationship and someone to bounce ideas off - it was at the times when I felt discouraged, or that I had no one to reach out to - I always knew that my mentor was one message away. On top of that, the Student Success team was there for me when I was going through some personal tribulations, and they were able to help me stay focused and driven. As I said, I have a lot of writing to do about how this past year has changed my life so significantly- and Bloc's Design Track was the structure I needed that has given me the skills, confidence, and leg up to begin my Design career.

• Rashel   User Photo
    Rashel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Three years ago I knew I wanted to make a travel app that hadn't existed yet. I had it all planned out, but I had no way of implementing it without hiring designers and developers to do it. I had a desire to make something from nothing, but I didn't have the skills, education, or tools to do so. This realization paired with my yearning to flex my creative muscles led me to explore a career in UX Design. In the end, I chose Bloc because I felt that it provided me with the education, tools, resources, and mentorship that the other programs didn't seem to have or were too expensive for my budget. So I went for it.

Fast forward to a year later – not only did I make that travel app, but I've now accepted a position as a UX Designer for a travel company in a foreign country, after receiving two other job offers in less than two months of job searching. If you're willing to get serious about what it takes to completely change your life for the better, even with obstacles and difficulties that get in your way, this course is for you. I'll admit, before joining the course, I didn't even know if I was passionate about UX Design or even if I'd be good at it. But once I was exposed to the program and understood the impact of design in bettering our world, I was hooked. Bloc arms you with education and hands-on approach you need to make any app, website, or digital product out there. Finally, having mentors that genuinely cared about my success and who taught me the principles I needed to know along the way, was critical to my professional learning and development. I also really enjoyed participating in the online group-oriented classes and learning about other graduate success stories by utilizing the Slack groups. Bloc provides a holistic experience that takes into account all the facets that you'll need to know to get that first job. And after that, it's all up to you.

• Holly  User Photo
    Holly • Experience Designer • Student Verified via GitHub

My name is Holly, and I'm a career changer who is about 3/4 of the way through Bloc's Design program.  I came to the school with a background in the fine arts, and way too many years of dead-end administrative support jobs washed under the bridge.  I was definitely in need of a drastic change, and Bloc brings it without hesitation!  I was fortunate to be able to benefit from the Close The Gap scholarship - which supported female and female-identifying students interested in breaking into tech.

When you sign up for Bloc, you are gradually introduced to a wide-ranging and constantly evolving discipline.  There is a vast, interconnected variety of topics to explore in the curriculum.  In addition to covering Experience Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development, there are also ample opportunities to get your hands dirty with branding and content strategy, UX writing, presentation skills, networking, crafting your own personal brand and drafting a solid plan for growing your career.  It is truly a comprehensive program in a way I did not anticipate, and I am so thankful for it.  Students learn extremely valuable skills, and then do the equally important work of learning to share these skills with the world.

Don't get me wrong - it can feel daunting once it occurs to you exactly how much you're about to learn, and exactly how much work you'll need to do in order to make the most of the resources available at the school  - and pull off the career change you're aiming for.  Still, I've had the support of my mentor every week - whether I was crushing it or really struggling to find my footing with some challenging material.  He has always greeted me and whatever I'm going through with a huge knowledge base, real-life experience, honest and valuable feedback, an affable nature and an irreverent sense of humor.  This has been invaluable in helping me on my journey!

Bloc also offers interesting and fun group sessions, and technical support is available on Slack whenever you may need it.  I'll miss studying at Bloc once I graduate, but until then I get more confident each day that I'll be able to do great work in my new field when it's all said and done.  Thanks for reading!

• Raina  User Photo
    Raina • UX Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Bloc because of their flexibility, self-paced coursework, and because they were offering a Close the Gap scholarship for women. I had had previous UX and coding experience, which helped a lot, but even so, it took me 5-ish months of full time work to complete the course. However, I was able to land a lot of interviews and even ended up having the option of choosing between two job offers in my chosen field before my program ended. The technical coaches are great in helping you when you're stuck, and I'm glad I enrolled with Bloc. It was a great choice for me--just be sure you have the motivation and the self-discipline to keep yourself on track.

• Pankhil Mistry   User Photo
    Pankhil Mistry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated from the designer track program. The Bloc experience fueled my knowledge about the subject matter to that of a person with decade long mastery in the same. The mentors have been super helpful and super critical in shaping the outcomes of my projects and my portfolio. I have got multiple freelance projects and landed a job within 3 mos of graduation just by putting up my portfolio out there and on LinkedIn. It was quite a journey. Although I am an international student, the amount of skills injected during the program has been a great support for making design decisions at a fresher level. Don't think any other code school provides such a wholistic experience.
  • Fantastic!
    - 3/12/2019
    Alexander Vela  User Photo
    Alexander Vela • Student Verified via GitHub

I've finally reached the end of my time with Bloc and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. MY mentors and the student success were always helpful and ready to assist me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

• Love this place!
    - 3/7/2019
    Austin MacAdam  User Photo
    Austin MacAdam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you dont have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed. Bloc is with you and will help you whenever you need the help. Be that through Slack or mentors! overall love this bootcamp and would recomend it to anyone interested !

• Oliver   User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub

PROS:
    The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes time to apply for jobs.

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

• Zully  User Photo
    Zully • Product/UI Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment. I have been really impressed with the thoughtfulness and relevance of the curriculum and depth of knowledge you can obtain if you put in the time. That said, it is definitely not a course for people not willing or able to put in the time. If you work full-time it's challenging to keep up but it's definitely worthwhile. The mentors are knowledgeable and great to work with and I've definitley learned a lot.

• Emily   User Photo
    Emily • Photographer/Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the completion of my Bloc program (only one week left!) Bloc has been a great experience for me all around. When you sign up for the program, they say that you will be able to keep your current job and complete the program at the same time. For me personally, I kept my 9-5 current job for the first 2 months with the plans of quitting after that. When I did that, I temped/freelanced (I was a photographer before my 9-5) which worked perfectly with the program since I was able to choose how much I wanted to work.

Once you get past the first module, I am not sure if it is realistic to keep up the 40-50 work hour pace on top of the 25-30 hour a week dedication time, although I am sure some people do it! For me, it was better to work part time and focus on not only my studies, but learning beyond that. I think that to get the most out of your experience you need to attending their group sessions. Attending meetups. Practice online tutorials. There are so many resources out there and you should be ready to embrace them, beyond what is taught through Bloc. The great thing about this program is that they encourage you to learn beyond what is taught in their material.

In terms of jobs, I have had several interviews, which I am sort of in the middle of so I can't say whether I do/don't have a job because I am still completeling that process. What I CAN say that before I attended Bloc, I had tried to apply to soft skill marketing jobs and didn't hear back from ONE company (even with several years of experience). Now, I have gotten interviews from 25% of the applications I have put out which is a HUGE progression.

The only cons I can think of are that the program is going through some growing pains right now so some of the resources that I have depended on (like their career assistance team and student success team) have been understaffed/slow to reply to emails. I am hoping they fix that up soon because I think they are a huge perk to the program, but I think it's because they are currently going through some transition/growth issues. Otherwise, the mentors have been great, the material is good, and I have had an overall fantastic experience.

• Honest Review
    - 1/23/2019

Hello There!

I'm currently a student with Bloc and finishing up the last leg of my assignment/apprenticeship with the UX Design program and I must say that it has been quite a ride.

The amount of support you get in the program is on point - the slack channel is a large community on a global scale all pushing each other to finish, the technical coaches are almost always a key stroke away from getting you "unstuck" from a problem, the recorded and live class sessions are an extremely helpful resource, the student success team constantly check on your progress to ensure you are getting the best out of the program, and the mentors you meet have years of experience behind them to help you unlock your potential into a career you will break into at the conclusion of the program.

When I was researching a program to enroll with, I came across a TON of them online, but ended up narrowing down my options to two:

1. Bloc

2. Thinkful

And at the end of it all, Thinkful ended up acquiring Bloc, so that in itself speaks great volumes as to what Bloc has been achieving alongside the reputation it has built throughout the years since its inception. I'm glad I chose Bloc!

• Christina  User Photo
    Christina • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm halfway through the Designer track, and I have been enjoying the course so far! Everything they teach is relevant, and I love that you will finish the program with three case studies under your belt. My mentor, Lauren Smith, is amazing and willing to help wherever she can. I can talk to her about the course, job advice, and anything else related to UX design!

If you're thinking about choosing a Bootcamp for UX Design, I highly recommend Bloc. This isn't to say that the coursework is easy, but I truly find UXD fun. What you put in is what you get out. You have to make sure you don't slack off. I supplement this education by going to Meetups and meeting professionals in the industry.

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Excellent!
    - 11/24/2018
    Yulia  User Photo
    Yulia • Fashion Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This school will give you the skills by putting you to work from class one.  I believe in learning by doing and this is exactly what Bloc is offering.

The program is hard and challenging, but stay focused. The support from the fellow students and coach team is always there for you.

This is one of the few programs that I found after an extensive research that gives you an opportunity to study online without quitting your current job.

I liked that they offer scholarship and a very comprehensive loan plan.

I so thankful and only looking forward to taking charge of my future career.

Yulia

• Kelly  User Photo
    Kelly • Aspiring Jr. Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I really found Course Report useful when looking at Bootcamps and I am a couple weeks from completing Bloc's Web Developer Track and wanting to give back to the community here!  Being a self-employed person in TV/Film production for years, I had been considering a coding bootcamp for a while to get into a bigger job market with more career options and room to grow professionally.  I have a 3 year old daughter and a pregnant wife and juggling life and Bloc has been pretty good, you have to give up most nights and weekends for 8-9 months, but the outcome will be worth it to provide a better life for my family.

First off, I love Bloc's 12-14 hours a day of technical coaching on Slack, there is a whole team ready to help you everyday.  The live group sessions on a variety of topics are really a great way to interact with Bloc Mentors and hear from other students which is nice when you feel confused about a topic and realize most other students are too!@#$  They have many live sessions every week on a variety of topics and I haven't been able to do as many as I would like, honestly, so if you have time, do a couple a week.  It establishes a connection with Bloc that is sometimes lacking due to it being an online only school.  The student success and career services teams have all been so easy and great to communicate with.  Also, I like that Bloc is a larger bootcamp and they have Slack channels for many cities in the US so you can organize a Meet-up with other students, like I have done.  The curriculum I would say is challenging and makes you work hard and learn how to forage, which is what developers do all day in their jobs I'm told.  The amount of work you do on career preparation is waaaay more than I expected, but I now see the value and appreciate how much they have you work on presenting yourself to the industry besides knowing how to code.

Bloc does a good job setting expectations of what you can expect from them and what you need to do to make your time a success and that balance is what it takes to have a good experience I think.  If you work for it, they will work for you and with you.  Cheers!

• Sami Birnbaum  User Photo
    Sami Birnbaum • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I guess you could say I am now on the other side.

I finished the web developer track 4 months ago and things could genuinely not have been better!

I was lucky to secure a job the day after I finished my course, not only this but the company were so impressed that I was able to command the highest junior salary.

I have now been working at the same company for 4 months and I love it. I work remotely and am building some really cool projects.

It is incredible to think that before I started with bloc I knew ZERO about coding or about how the internet works.

But the course was genuinely incredible, I learnt so much and everything was practical down to helping me secure a job.

My mentor was great and I still keep in touch with him!

Moreover, at times when I was struggling on the course, as well as my mentor, the student success team were such great help and when I was freaking out about jobs the careers team were always on hand.

Living in London and a different timezone was completley fine and I was surprised about how easy it was to schedule a video call with anyone from Bloc.

I highly recommend Bloc, they are a great team of people doing the right thing!

• Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous Verified via LinkedIn

I have enjoyed my experience with Bloc so far! I am a little over 5 months into my program in the Web developer track. It has been VERY challenging (they aren't kidding when they say it is hard!) but very rewarding and I have enjoyed learning a new skill. I haven't began applying for jobs but am eager to start that soon. The career team has been fantastic in prepping me for this, as they have helped me review my resume, conducted mock interviews, etc.

My favorite aspect of the program has been that they have pushed me to network. I didn't think an online school would be able to do that, but they REALLY pushed my bounderies which was able to connect me with a great coding support group as well as make other great industry connections. Additionally, there is always tech support available as well as mentors, who have been great to work with as well.

I am excited for next steps and look forward to the job application process soon!

• Brian  User Photo
    Brian • Student Verified via LinkedIn

When I first started my search for the ideal program, Bloc was always the one that stood out to me. It fit my criteria for being remote and providing the things that I felt were important. I used Course Report and SwitchUp as guides to show me what other applicants, students, and graduates thought of the program. Bloc had a lot of positive reviews so that was a big reason as to why I thought this would be right for me. I was wrong. About two to three months into the program I recieved an email from someone at Bloc asking me to write a review. I was asked to write a review on Course Report or SwitchUp, good or bad, in exchange for a gift card to Amazon. I was really shocked when this happened because that made me worried for several reasons. It made me wonder how many other people this has happened to and it also made me wonder how many reviews on these two websites are actually legit? I don't think this would have been as issue if the curriculumn offered in the program was actually worthwhile. It was valuable information, but you could easily find it for free on many websites. I guess I'm just trying to give a warning to other students not to trust the reviews on this website or SwitchUp for Bloc. I'm very upset with my experience and the way things turned out.

• Designer Track
    - 9/5/2018
    Katelyn Michalove  User Photo
    Katelyn Michalove • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently enrolled in the Designer Track at Bloc. I have already learned so much related to UX Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development.

When I go to local meetups for design I used to always be hesitant since I have only been doing bloc for 2 months. I thought I wouldn't know enough to participant or even have a conversation.

In fact it turned out I had already learned all the topics covered in meetup presentations. When talking to others that wanted to break into the design industry, I felt so well equipped for my future job search. I knew all of the topics, theories, practices, and even lingo.

All that's really left is to keep implementing these skills, receive feedback, and develope my portfolio.

I am so highly impressed with the content taught by bloc. I love the 'set your own pace' concept. This allows me to take a pause with topics that I find challenging to make sure I understand them before moving on.

I can't wait to continue to learn and eventually seek out my first opportunity in the design industry.

• Nicholas James  User Photo
    Nicholas James • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I have been a retail manager for over a decade now and decided that it was time for a career change lest I get stuck in this role for the rest of my life so I did some research and stumbled onto Bloc. I applied for and got a $2000 much needed scholarship which really helped me out.  I'm not finished the course yet but it is fantastic so far. There is always someone to ask for help when you get stuck and they start preparing you for job hunting from the beginning. I would strongly recommend Bloc to anyone thinking of a career change.

• Cindy Young  User Photo
    Cindy Young • Freelance Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I’ve been working as a print designer for many years, and for many years, I’ve been wanting to expand my skills to pivot to web and mobile design. Bloc has given me the structure and mentor support to realize this goal.

The program has a flexibility and nimbleness baked right in. I’ve seen the program expand to include new methods of teaching content, including invaluable daily sessions that can be attended live, or viewed as recordings. The Design Program Director is accessible to students with a daily design critique, and there’s a growing library of recorded technical sessions to help deepen understanding.

And student support happens through multiple channels: there’s a slack channel where students can learn from each other and from industry professionals who are mentoring students, daily online sessions, and weekly mentor sessions.

• Amy Witt  User Photo
    Amy Witt • Product Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Enrolling in Bloc's Designer Track was on of the best decisions I've ever made. The curriculum was challenging but intentional and I never felt like I was wasting time, and the feedback from senior designers was incredibly valuable as well. My mentor sessions twice a week were rich with feedback both on my work at Bloc and support for getting a job, and the group sessions that began about halfway through my Bloc tenure both pushed my designs to the next level and helped me feel like part of the Bloc community even though the program was 100% online.

I felt prepared for success in a design career and spoke to designers in the field with confidence - I got a job offer at a fantastic company about two months before I finished the program. My manager has been impressed not only with the high quality portfolio Bloc helped me build, but also the skills I acquired through Bloc. I am proud to be an alumni of this top notch program and highly recommend to anyone looking for a quality education with the flexibility of an online program.

• Kelli Landry  User Photo
    Kelli Landry • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently enrolled in Bloc's Web Development Track. Thus far, it's been very challenging, but very rewarding. Bloc definitely keeps up with the industry. I was referred to Bloc by a co-worker who completed the program a year ago. I was very interested, and when he told me what he learned, I was definitely impressed. When I enrolled, I noticed it had changed, but for the better. Bloc will help you learn by building projects, and you will be meeting with a mentor once a week. This has definitely helped. You can talk to a real person about what you're struggling with. They have many resources like live group sessions where you can learn about the concepts in a more hands on environment. If you're stuck on an assignment, Bloc utilitizes Slack so you can communicate exactly what you're stuck on. They have live coaches that are there to guide you through those challenges. It has been a great experience thus far. They also foster self-study. You will have to Google and Stack Overflow things, but that's what developers do anyway. I like how it's structured, and thus far, I've been very satisfied with my experience and have recommended it to several of my co-workers.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates