bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

- 4/23/2018
    John Morandarte  User Photo
    John Morandarte • Nurse • Student Verified via GitHub

Hi all! I am currently a student with bloc for two months now for web developing. I am a complete beginner when I started and I dont even know how to write a single line of code. But now, I am learning a lot and writing all these complicated codes in just a short period of time while working in a full time job. Its really amazing and I highly recommend bloc!

• Michael Mace  User Photo
    Michael Mace • Junior Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I completed the full-stack web development program, and I can't say enough good things about it. Their content is up to date with the latest best practices & frameworks. The coaches and mentors are outstanding - probably the best part of the program. The program is flexible around life events if you need to take a break. I found a job within a month after completing my last project all thanks to what I learned with Bloc. I would definitely consider enrolling again!
  • Shane Finlayson  User Photo
    Shane Finlayson • Sole Proprietor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overview:
        For those of you in a hurry, here is a quick overview of Bloc.io. If you are truly interested in enrolling in their program, I recommend you read this in its entirety.
        The curriculum is simplistic in its explanation of topics and has several errors in the literature. At one point, they send you to Codecademy.com to learn from them. You can pay up to $8,500 to be sent to a completely different company to learn what they should be teaching themselves.
        The mentorship is inadequate, you will receive thirty-minutes, once a week, to talk with a mentor about any troubles you may be experiencing. Now if you are having a coding problem that you feel unable to solve yourself, and you would like to use the help of your mentor, this creates another issue. Thirty-minutes is an insufficient amount of time for the mentor to become familiar with your code and help you resolve the complication. It's not that the mentors aren't skilled or educated on the topics, it's simply a herculean task to resolve the problems in such a restrictive amount of time.
        They give you the illusion that you can finish this program at your own pace, that's not true. You will have eight months to complete the program. During this time, you can proceed at your own pace, when the eight months expire, you must pay, per week you wish to extend your program (about $140 a week if I remember correctly).
     My objection to this program is that when compared to so many other websites (such as Treehouse, Codecademy, W3Schools, Udemy) Bloc.io falls behind in content and doesn't justify the price tag.

The Whole Story:

To start, I have received my certification from Bloc.io. I successfully passed all of my assessments in my first attempt. I have not written this review out of anger due to not being able to complete the program. My complaint lies mainly behind the price and its syllabus.
        I enrolled in the Bloc.io program in December 2018, paid $6500 after applying two discounts. One was a thousand dollars off for paying upfront, the other was a thousand dollar scholarship program that I had received. I started with Treehouse.com, to begin my education into web development. I learned the basics of HTML, CSS, and began my understanding of JavaScript.
     After a few weeks of using other cheaper websites, I was excited to see what I would receive for my hard-earned $6500. Then my program began, within twenty-minutes, I instantly felt buyers remorse. I was met with large sections of tedious text, with an input box at the bottom of each page to write out my answers to the handful of questions. I tried to remain positive and hopeful that the curriculum would improve, I was wrong.

The Curriculum:
      The first problem I noticed is how you send in your assignments. You are given a series of questions, then an empty input field where you have to format the questions and answers in MarkDown to submit it. Now, this isn't necessarily a problem, but it is time-consuming and annoying that you have to waste your time formating out your assignments.
     They also have a very odd design choice to not include any videos in their courses. Instead, they do live videos, like a web conference over Zoom or Google Hangouts, to somewhat resemble a lecture you would find at a college. This defeats one of the benefits of doing an educational program online. You can view the videos at a later time, but watching a teacher stumble through a lecture suffers in comparison to an edited video with animations and excellent footage like on Treehouse or Udemy.
     Most online programs I have experienced, have a comment section that you may use to ask questions on the topic at hand. This allows you to receive help from other students if something wasn't clear to you. Bloc doesn't include this, instead, they use Slack. With hundreds of different checkpoints, this becomes an issue. Simple questions and answers can't be related to a particular checkpoint. This leads to the same questions having to be answered repeatedly on Slack, or lengthy searches on Google for a simple answer.
     In the program, they will go line by line and attempt to explain the reason for that particular line of code. Here is the most important thing to remember about programming. Knowing enough to understand what the code is doing, and knowing enough about coding to solve the problem yourself is a big difference. One of the most important differences if you want to land a job. Coding takes practice, copying someone else's code, doesn't improve your skills.
     The facile explanations of the topics you will learn are concerning. Through this course, you will learn what is called a PERN stack. PERN, stands for Postgres, Express, React, NodeJS, and represent the frameworks and libraries of code you will use to create websites. While only four topics to learn, they are complex and can be difficult to master. That being said, after eight months of this program, I didn't have the in-depth knowledge that I wanted on these frameworks. Bloc is more concerned about giving you projects to put on your portfolio as opposed to providing a solid foundation on these subject matters.
     The errors in their code are abundant and are something you will have to fight with throughout the program. It is inevitable you will create your own mistakes while following the checkpoints, and you will have to learn from them. When the mistakes are created by them, it can become frustrating and extremely hard for a student to remedy. A couple of them even confused my mentor to the point where she couldn't figure it out. Mistakes happen, but according to my mentor, they are in no hurry to fix them either.

The Personal Touch of Bloc:
     Every checkpoint you submit is looked over by one of their staff. If you made a mistake in your submission you will be asked to revise your assignment. Sometimes they do give some helpful advice on your mistakes and sometimes include links to help you find the correct answer. This is nice at first, but it becomes troublesome towards the end when your submissions are extremely large. On more than one occasion, I had made a mistake on an assignment or forgot to do a certain task, and the error wasn't caught by the reviewer.
     Having to do assessments after each module is a nice touch. You get the feel of what it's like to do a real coding interview. Especially in the last module, where you will take part in a couple of mock interviews. This is by far the best part of the Bloc program and is worth mentioning.

The Time Restraint:
     What I found most concerning about the Bloc.io platform is the time frame in which you are to complete this program. You will endure six modules consisting of numerous checkpoints. At the end of every module, you must take a test conducted over Zoom (a web conferencing website) where you will be quizzed on your knowledge of that particular module and its contents. You must schedule an assessment with one of the staff at Bloc, and that person cannot be your current mentor.
     For the first few assessments, I was able to set a date within a few days. The last couple of assessments became a problem trying to create an appointment. Only two mentors were qualified to take part in those assessments, one of which was my mentor. That left me with only one person that could assess me on my progress throughout these final modules. One of which I had to wait over a month to be able to participate in. I was patient and didn't complain about the long duration between my evaluations. Until, the end of my eight months was up, and they told me I needed to pay them, per-week, to continue. At this point, I only needed to complete two or three more assessments to receive my certification. So I reached out to the Student Success Team, they were responsive but nothing was getting resolved until I mentioned the Better Business Bureau. The next email stated I had received a week extension.
     In the end, they did give me the extensions I required to finish, without charging me, but they did manage to waste an abundant amount of my time in the process.

Final thoughts:
     Simply put, Bloc.io will teach you the buzz words of programing and their meanings. They will also give you the code to some projects that will make your portfolio look decent. You won't come out of this with a strong understanding of web development, but you will learn enough to get by.
     If you were like me, and you have no experience in programming, this is hands down one of the worst places to start. Now if you have some familiarity with programming and web development, this is an overpriced, low-quality online program that will let you down after gouging your wallet.
     The reason I have spent so much time writing such a lengthy review is to inform you and anyone else interested in Bloc.io that there are better places to receive an education on web development.
     Treehouse, Codecademy, W3Schools all offer certifications that hold more weight, because people have actually heard of these companies, unlike Bloc.io. If you are truly interested in getting into web development, don't worry about getting a degree or certification. Learning how to write clean code is more important than any certification.
     There is a reason why many companies do something called "whiteboarding." It's the process of giving an applicant a coding challenge and making them solve it on a whiteboard (or something similar) during the interview process. This weeds out a surprisingly large amount of programmers, who struggle with solving common coding challenges, due to them knowing how to read code and not write it.
     Learn the fundamentals of web development, focus on creating unique projects that you can show off on your portfolio and go to meetups with other programmers. Those are the three steps that several of the web developers I know have followed and now have jobs without any degree or certification.

My recommendation:
     I wished I had paid the thirty dollars a month for Treehouse, twenty-five dollars for Codecademy. Waited for Udemy to do one of their sales, spend fifty dollars on a couple of their courses, and received a stronger education for a fraction of the price. If you decide to take that path, you will learn everything offered at Bloc.io and more.
  • Mark Bergstrom  User Photo
    Mark Bergstrom • Engineering Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would definitely recommend Bloc's Web Developer Track to anyone seeking to learn how to become a full stack developer.  I had some self-taught coding experience in VBA coming into the program, but this was my first formal code training since a basic Fortran class back in college over 15 years ago.  The curriculum is great at building a good foundation and then diving deep into some of the latest and greatest concepts and strategies in use today.  The course is challenging and requires that you put in the time to learn the necessary concepts, but if you trust the process and stick with it, you'll come out the other end blown away with the new skills that you have.

The general layout of the curriculum requires you to read a written lesson and then complete a set of exercises.  Occasionally, these exercises will be reviewed for completion and accuracy, but oftentimes they are just for your own benefit and understanding.  Once per week, you'll meet over the web with your mentor.  This is a great time to help work through the areas where you're stuck or get some higher level understanding of how exactly the new skills you're learning would come into play in a real-world tech job.  In between mentor meetings, you'll have access to loads of technical coaching through Slack where you can talk to coaches or other students working through the same content you are.

It might seem like a lot to figure out and accomplish while you're in the middle of it all.  It certainly did for me at times!  Trust the process.  You can do this!
  • Travis Whittington  User Photo
    Travis Whittington • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This program offers an extensive and rigorous education in full stack web development. Languages, frameworks and technologies taught are HTML, CSS, Javascript, JQuery, ReactJS, NodeJS, PostgreSQL, Express, Mocha, Chai, Supertest and much much more. Your initial courseware starts you out by learning HTML and CSS.. Before you know it you will be learning more advanced frameworks like React and Node. You will use these technologies to build full stack capstone projects. You have a senior developer as a mentor there with you every step of the way. They are your guide so to speak and they are awesome!  Not only that, there are a ton of QnAs, workshops and other discussions scheduled all day every day throughout the platform.  Most importantly, they are completely remote.  For parent out there who really want to learn full stack dev but just can't afford to drive into a class, this is it! This is the school to check out.  The people are just super cool, down to earth and humble.  I can't speak enough about how great it was to work with them.. It's heads and tails above and beyond the experience you would get at a traditional school. Believe me, I have a couple degrees including a post-graduate. This was better than those experiences and I learned way more. If you have the drive and determination just do it. They will help you find employment and put you into a new career with confidence. You may even be interviewing before the course is over. That's pretty common actually!  Best of luck to anyone who is thinking of signing up. I can't recommend enough :)
  • Diana Marie  User Photo
    Diana Marie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This program has many positive aspects to it, but there are some realities that I wish I knew before signing up.

Pros: I am very excited with my portfolio.  The effort that you put into work, definitely reflects the final outcome of your portfolio.  When I addressed my concerns and frustrations, the program coordinators were very accomodating extending my schedule.  The curriculum is constantly being updated and is accessible for students after they are finished with the program.

Cons: I went through many different mentors and grading team members and the quality varies.  Some are excellent and very professional - others had much less to offer in terms of experience and suggestions. Since the program is online, it seems that the coordination is not in sync between the grading team, the mentor, and the slack coaches - so it feels very disjointed and confusing at times.  The checkpoints are often set-up in a way where you need to finish one before moving on to the next one.  The grading team is supposed to give feedback within 48 hours, but many times for me this extended up to 4-5 days!  This was frustrating for me to keep the momentum going, especially since the grading team usually asks for at least 2-3 revisions.  I am a good student and always tried my best, so I found this scenario to be extremely frustrating.  With a goal of 3 checkpoints per week (while working and studying), this situation was not maintainable when I was waiting so long for feedback.

Final thoughts: I know the program has grown big quickly and it feels to be increasingly disconnected (especially with recent changes). I was feelling lost in a series of checkpoint revisions between mentors, grading team, and coaches, who would say conflicting things then leave me lost until the next meeting or checkpoint revision feedback.  I didn't feel like they were fully there and available for me, but rather waiting for the time to be up.  Even the slack coaches who were supposed to be available immediately, usually had a whole queue of other students to help and half the time responded with things like "i'm about to clock out! will forward to next coach." - and very often I just left the question.

These are just some things that I wish I knew going into the program because I could have better prepared myself for the experience.  I am certainly surprised by all the solid 5 star reviews - and I do recall being asked to leave feedback about 1 week into the program before I had the full experience of it - so take the other reviews with a grain of salt!  I suggest researching deeply into the various programs before choosing, so you make sure that you join a bootcamp with the cirriculum and support system that you can thrive in.

• Kacie  User Photo
    Kacie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I'm surprised to see that there are so many straight-up positive reviews of Bloc. I'm a graduate of the Designer program, I can say they got some things right and some things still need work. I'll start with the not-so-great. The curriculum around front end dev felt piecemeal and choppy. I had to slow down a lot during those sections to seek out other resources because their lessons were confusing. The self-paced program made it easy to get more time to slow down when I needed to.

I had different 5 mentors in the 14 months it took me to complete the program. Some gave constructive criticism but others just patted me on the head and said "good job". That was frustrating at points, however, it was very easy to change mentors when I wasn't satisfied, and I recommend changing if you're not getting what you want out of your mentor sessions.

I'm the kind of person who likes to collaborate, so I felt pretty lonely in my work for most of the time I was in Bloc. I recommend engaging as much as possible with the social channels on Slack and going to events/meetups early on to connect with other designers.

I appreciated how much emphasis there was on career prep and how much support I got in my job search. Job searching is the worst kind of boring work you'll ever have to do and it takes a lot of energy to stay motivated. My career coach was very supportive and helped me get to the point where I felt confident sending out my portfolio, resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.

I supplemented a lot of the curriculum with my own reading list. Bloc, for example, might just say "make a user survey", but not address how to approach it or what makes a good survey question. There are plenty of books and articles on the subject, so I would suggest building in some time for non-required reading and research.

UX is an emerging field that is changing all the time and Bloc is making an effort to remain flexible and change with it. I appreciate that they are really good about asking for feedback and constantly making changes to improve the program.

Overall, I would say this program is challenging and you have to bring a lot of intention, motivation, and curiosity to be successful. You will probably be frustrated with it at some points, but the people are great and it's a good value for the price point.

• Design Track
    - 7/4/2019
    Joseph Jabkiewicz  User Photo
    Joseph Jabkiewicz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Beginning to detail my time with Bloc and all of the value this Program/Team has brought me - is itself already another blog post. As I was a community college dropout, moving around the States, no real direction or passion other than art and travel- I want this review to reach those people who are possibly in a similar situation - You can do it, and Bloc has your back.

The curriculum itself kept me focused, inspired, and motivated to reach my goal of becoming a Designer. The hard skills and soft skills alike, were a refreshing look into the Design world and gave me a whole new perspective on the way I view failures, goals, and hard-work.

I just recently completed the program and the amount of growth I made in a year is inspiring and exciting- I feel that I could write so much about the positive impact Bloc has had on my life, and I see my future is a lot brighter now because of these skills Ive acquired.

A huge standout that I didnt notice in other programs, was Bloc's Mentorship program. Being paired with a Senior Designer is so invaluable to online-curriculums such as this.  Beyong having the personal relationship and someone to bounce ideas off - it was at the times when I felt discouraged, or that I had no one to reach out to - I always knew that my mentor was one message away. On top of that, the Student Success team was there for me when I was going through some personal tribulations, and they were able to help me stay focused and driven. As I said, I have a lot of writing to do about how this past year has changed my life so significantly- and Bloc's Design Track was the structure I needed that has given me the skills, confidence, and leg up to begin my Design career.

• Rashel   User Photo
    Rashel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Three years ago I knew I wanted to make a travel app that hadn't existed yet. I had it all planned out, but I had no way of implementing it without hiring designers and developers to do it. I had a desire to make something from nothing, but I didn't have the skills, education, or tools to do so. This realization paired with my yearning to flex my creative muscles led me to explore a career in UX Design. In the end, I chose Bloc because I felt that it provided me with the education, tools, resources, and mentorship that the other programs didn't seem to have or were too expensive for my budget. So I went for it.

Fast forward to a year later – not only did I make that travel app, but I've now accepted a position as a UX Designer for a travel company in a foreign country, after receiving two other job offers in less than two months of job searching. If you're willing to get serious about what it takes to completely change your life for the better, even with obstacles and difficulties that get in your way, this course is for you. I'll admit, before joining the course, I didn't even know if I was passionate about UX Design or even if I'd be good at it. But once I was exposed to the program and understood the impact of design in bettering our world, I was hooked. Bloc arms you with education and hands-on approach you need to make any app, website, or digital product out there. Finally, having mentors that genuinely cared about my success and who taught me the principles I needed to know along the way, was critical to my professional learning and development. I also really enjoyed participating in the online group-oriented classes and learning about other graduate success stories by utilizing the Slack groups. Bloc provides a holistic experience that takes into account all the facets that you'll need to know to get that first job. And after that, it's all up to you.

• Holly  User Photo
    Holly • Experience Designer • Student Verified via GitHub

My name is Holly, and I'm a career changer who is about 3/4 of the way through Bloc's Design program.  I came to the school with a background in the fine arts, and way too many years of dead-end administrative support jobs washed under the bridge.  I was definitely in need of a drastic change, and Bloc brings it without hesitation!  I was fortunate to be able to benefit from the Close The Gap scholarship - which supported female and female-identifying students interested in breaking into tech.

When you sign up for Bloc, you are gradually introduced to a wide-ranging and constantly evolving discipline.  There is a vast, interconnected variety of topics to explore in the curriculum.  In addition to covering Experience Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development, there are also ample opportunities to get your hands dirty with branding and content strategy, UX writing, presentation skills, networking, crafting your own personal brand and drafting a solid plan for growing your career.  It is truly a comprehensive program in a way I did not anticipate, and I am so thankful for it.  Students learn extremely valuable skills, and then do the equally important work of learning to share these skills with the world.

Don't get me wrong - it can feel daunting once it occurs to you exactly how much you're about to learn, and exactly how much work you'll need to do in order to make the most of the resources available at the school  - and pull off the career change you're aiming for.  Still, I've had the support of my mentor every week - whether I was crushing it or really struggling to find my footing with some challenging material.  He has always greeted me and whatever I'm going through with a huge knowledge base, real-life experience, honest and valuable feedback, an affable nature and an irreverent sense of humor.  This has been invaluable in helping me on my journey!

Bloc also offers interesting and fun group sessions, and technical support is available on Slack whenever you may need it.  I'll miss studying at Bloc once I graduate, but until then I get more confident each day that I'll be able to do great work in my new field when it's all said and done.  Thanks for reading!

• Raina  User Photo
    Raina • UX Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Bloc because of their flexibility, self-paced coursework, and because they were offering a Close the Gap scholarship for women. I had had previous UX and coding experience, which helped a lot, but even so, it took me 5-ish months of full time work to complete the course. However, I was able to land a lot of interviews and even ended up having the option of choosing between two job offers in my chosen field before my program ended. The technical coaches are great in helping you when you're stuck, and I'm glad I enrolled with Bloc. It was a great choice for me--just be sure you have the motivation and the self-discipline to keep yourself on track.

• Pankhil Mistry   User Photo
    Pankhil Mistry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated from the designer track program. The Bloc experience fueled my knowledge about the subject matter to that of a person with decade long mastery in the same. The mentors have been super helpful and super critical in shaping the outcomes of my projects and my portfolio. I have got multiple freelance projects and landed a job within 3 mos of graduation just by putting up my portfolio out there and on LinkedIn. It was quite a journey. Although I am an international student, the amount of skills injected during the program has been a great support for making design decisions at a fresher level. Don't think any other code school provides such a wholistic experience.
  • Fantastic!
    - 3/12/2019
    Alexander Vela  User Photo
    Alexander Vela • Student Verified via GitHub

I've finally reached the end of my time with Bloc and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. MY mentors and the student success were always helpful and ready to assist me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here