bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (461) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (51) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • 1 Month Later
    - 11/19/2017
    Logan • Student

I always knew this was the career path that was right for me and when I was at college I was taking these types of classes but also all the other classes that would have no impact on my future or what I want to be when I enter the work world. I came across Bloc on countless of review websites and immediately knew it was right for me. Bloc is amazing. The mentors are always there to answer any questions that you have and when you have your meetings they go into detail of any questions you have on what you are doing to whatever part of programming that you are not learning. The community on Slack is awesome and will help you if you do not want to keep bothering your mentor with questions. I am currently in the Software Developer Track and I love the curriculum, I love the freedom, and I just love I made the right choice by choosing Bloc.

• Devon Burley

I have been about one month into the web developer track and the experience so far has been the best. The mentorship is by far my favorite thing about Bloc. When you are confused and second guessing yourself, your mentor is there to answer all questions you have. This is something that learning by yourself just cannot provide for you. The checkpoints and assignments are fun and challenging. The Bloc slack community always has interesting links for you to read. I would definitely recommend Bloc to others.

• John P Que • Engineer Drafter • Student

"Design, build, debug and maintain web applications. Additionally, architect databases, improve performance using algorithms, modify extensive code bases, and solve complex problems." Bloc Webpage.

I am in the second phase of my course and loving it. Bloc has been super responive and the material engaging. I have been finding it a great balance of difficult and career driven. The onboarding and quick responses are very profesional and helpful. I have been finding the mentors willing to go above and beyond what my expectations were for helping when I get stuck, suggesting different resources and being realistic.

• My Journey
    - 11/7/2017
    Will Larry • Student

I've been a part of Bloc's Software Development track for about a year now. I've always had a heart for computers, but I never had an opportunity to chase that dream. This was the first time that I was presented with the opportunity to dive into the Tech field.

At first, I was extremely skeptical. Bloc claimed that they could take me (someone who has never coded before) and take me on the path to building fully functional websites. Not only did they claim this, they guaranteed it. I can honestly say that I have a lot to learn, but I am excited with where I am for now.

Lastly, Bloc's program is heavily dependent on mentors. They give the students the freedom to choose their mentor that they would like to work with. I really enjoyed having someone to help me answer my questions and pair program with. This was the best method for me which may not be the best for everyone. My first mentor was not a good fit for me so I asked to be reassigned to another mentor. Bloc took care of this with no problem. I've had two mentors since then and they are amazing. I would recommend Wilson (Web Development Section) and Shannon (Software Development Section) without hesitation.

• JacquettaB • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Part-time Web Developer Track. This month will be 2 months since I started. I picked Bloc because there program provided many benefits such as one on one mentor meetings, option of F/T or P/T track, practice and quizzes to help student understand concepts of programming language.

What mainly attracted me to block is having a mentor that can help me when I don't understand a concept. The mentor I have right now is Carrie who is helpful and breaks coding problems down and makes it easier for me to get it.

Bloc curriculum makes me stay on track and gives me the motivation to keep going even when I feel stuck or uncertain. I would definetly recommend Bloc to others.

• BIlly • Student

The pace and structure of the courses work well and give me the flexibility to stay at my current job, and learn the material in a way that lands well with me. What also works is that my mentor is always available to help me and shows an interest in making me succeed.

• Web Design Track
    - 10/29/2017
    Jerry Hoglen • Store Brand Leader • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Bloc Web Design Track at Bloc. I'm about 30% done with the program so far on the 36 week track. I don't normally write reviews but I felt I needed to because Bloc has already had an amazing impact on my learning. I completed a full stack web developer bootcamp through another popular online program and when I finished I realized that I needed to continue learning to even come close to switching careers. I think some bootcamp programs create this belief that after a few months you will have all the training and knowledge to become a designer or developer. This was not the case at all. What I did realize was that I knew I wanted to continue to learn and pursue my dreams and that's when I found Bloc. It's not a bootcamp, It's an apprenticeship that pairs you with a one on one mentor that works very closely with you on a day to week basis. I have been challenged so much during this process so far and know that when I complete this program I will have the skills and confidence to make the change I've been wanting.

• Chris • Student

I graduated with a bachelor's in Poltical Science about a little over a year ago, with the intent of going to law school and pursuing a career in law. However, as my time out of school passed while I was studying for the LSAT, I began to have doubts whether or not this actually was the career choice I wanted, and if I would truly be satisfied with this years later.

Many nights I found myself unable to sleep, dreading that if I were to simply ignore my doubts and continue on to law I would regret that decision and curse myself for doing so. I was extremely hesitant to make any sort of movement to find out whether or not law was comfortable with me, and it wasn't until many pushes from a friend that I began to learn code; however I found myself struggling with it tremendously.

It was then that I started to look more into UI/UX Design, and took a free intro course on coursera. Upon completing it, I discovered that this was a career I would enjoy, and was something I genuinely felt interested to learn more about. I contacted a Bloc student advisor, and after an extremely informative and helpful conversation, I realized that Bloc was the course that would lead me to eventually reach my goal of becoming a designer.

I started the Designer track just a little over 2 months agao, and I feel extremely satisfied with everything I've learned so far. The curriculum has been informative and I haven't had any trouble understanding the lessons as they are presented. The lessons are very interesting due to them introducing concepts, then asking you to apply those concepts to actual tasks for the assignments in order to prepare you for future designwork. My mentor has been extremely helpful so far as well, and I look forward to working with him more during my course.

While the prospect of getting a job is quite a ways away for me, I feel confident that if I apply myself with this course, then pursuing a job after I graduate will be a non issue.

• Sahej Sandhu • Student

Hi everyone. I had to drop a review for Bloc.io. These guys are awesome! I had no programming experience but I had heard about these online academies and thought that I should give it a try. I studied for 2 months and got excepted to AppAcademy(they only except 2.5% of all applicants so I was extremely excited). But, in less than 3 weeks I reallized that I was in way over my head. Places like AppAcademy are great but it's a completely different format than Bloc. The main difference being the pace. In these bootcamps if you fall behind you get left behind. For a guy new to programming and supporting a family this was a difficult task to achieve. The level of commitment and stress was much greater than I had anticipated. So, less than three weeks later I was enrolled in Bloc. WOW!!! What a difference. I could go as fast or as slow on any particular subject matter making sure I understood it before moving on. Infact the curriculum for Bloc is designed so that you can't move to the next module unless you've mastered the one you are on. Not only that!!! You get a personal Mentor! Any time I got stuck or just had questions that went off on tangents I could speak with my mentor. How can you go wrong with a setup like that. I have complete confidence that I'm going to become a Software Engineer now and at my own pace. Very professional! Top Notch Curriculum! Great Mentors!

• Travis • Student

Bloc is very well designed to teach you a large breadth and depth of subjects and to hold your hand along the way through mentorship.  There is a large component of creating your own portfolio of projects to showcase to employers, and also a large component of helping you apply to jobs.  The program even makes the learning fun with things like coding challenges.  Finally, I love the flexibility and part-time nature of the program I'm in.  This information is difficult to learn, and for me, 40 hours a week would be a lot.  I'm on the 20 hour per week track and that is ideal for me.

• Brianna Pizana • Student

I started the 40hr/wk designer track just over a month ago at Bloc; I am very impressed with what I've learned in such a short period. My mentor and I meet three times a week - he's never late, is always honest with me about how I can improve and on what I should focus. He responds to my skype messages within the day, and when he's not available, there is always a mentor on slack. No matter where you turn in this program, there is always someone willing to help you and whether it be with the course or with stress. While Bloc has incredible curriculum - the most up to date I've found. What makes me enjoy the course so much are the people, I always know there will be someone there for me if I need and that's hard to find anywhere else.

Not to mention their job guarantee (which is offered to everyone) giving them a little incentive on their end to continue being amazing (besides being wonderful people that want to help others).

• Andrew • Restaurant Manager • Student

I am currently a restaurant manager and was looking to make the switch to the tech world. I did research on TONS of online coding boot camps and chose Bloc because of it's flexibility with my busy work life. I am currently into module 2 and I have already learned so much!  The work is challenging, but rewarding.  The course teaches you the content you need to know to code, but also challenges you to find the answers through your own problem solving techniques.  My mentor has been a tremendous help and is always there to help guide me to solving the problem at hand without giving me the answer. I would highly recommend this program to anyone wanting to get into the coding world. I can't wait to see where it takes me!

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here