bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (461) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (51) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Felicia Jackson • Pension Administrator • Student

I started BLOC on May 14, 2018, I am very pleased with the program.  I have learned so much already,  it is very challenging, but the feedback you receive from the grading team, and the assistance you get from the Slack community technical support, and other students, you never feel like you are out there on your own. It is an 8 month course, but I’m doing it on a full time basis, so I want to try and finish sooner, so I can look for work in this new field.  If I have one complaint, it would simply be that I wish that assignment instructions had a bit more detail about what is needed. There were times that it was unclear what was needed, and I wasted time doing something that wasn’t necessary to complete the assignment.  Make it plain.

• Jacqueline H. • Graduate

I'd been working as a frontend developer for a couple years and was hoping to learn some new UX/UI deisgn skills by taking the Bloc course. Bloc made it seem like this was a good option for people, like myself, who had some industry experience already.

Enrolling and completing this course was a mistake. I feel that I have wasted time and money in doing so. I was hoping I would gain valuable knowledge by enrolling but I did not. As someone with prior experience, I have learned more about UX/UI design as a front-end developer in the industry. Not with Bloc.

My mentor was extremly kind though he was constantly running late and then our meetings would be rushed. He would also forget about feedback he would give me in previous weeks and contradict his own design critiques. When I tried to switch mentors, there were none other available.

• Paul Harris • Student

I am in the process of transitioning out of the military into software development. I was in a rut with self-learning. I really needed a structured program that would put me on a timeline and trajectory for success. Bloc has a set curriculum that will help me start a career I always dreamed of in about 8 months. It was right on time and exactly what I was looking for because I needed to start a job within the year and was starting to stress out of wether I would be ready while self-learning. I am married with a three year old working full time and I have been able to stay on track. I am not losing sleep about wether I am on pace or not on my journey to start a new career in tech. I will graduate in a few more months with a portfolio that will get me a well paying job. At Bloc I have particularly liked the mentors and Slack group available. These were things I couldnt get while self-learning and have proved very valuable. My mentors have brought items to my attention about the software/web development sector that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. I would seriously reccomend Bloc to anyone looking for what is almost a gateway to a software dev career.

• Kurt Zikaras • Software Engineer • Graduate

Bloc is a challenging, but completable coding boot camp for those of us who cannot attend an in-person program. Bloc has used it's years of experience to craft a proven program that will turn you into an industry-ready developer. Bloc is constantly evolving according to student feedback, and they always put their students' interests first. Thanks to bloc I was able to transition into a role as a software engineer 4 months after completing the program. Not only that, but my new employer was actually impressed with the skills and portfolio I had to show thanks to Bloc. I highly recommend considering Bloc.

• Laura Szumylo • Assistant to Area Vice President @ a VNA • Student

This course is exactly what I had expected it to be.  It is designed to get you ready for the real world.There are definitely some days that take a toll on you but the Bloc community and mentors are always there to help cheer you on and help out anyway they can.

You definitely need to put in the time and effort but I believe this is all preparation for a great career  My graduation date isn’t until August and I have a lot of work to get done, but I’m excited for my future and thankful for the folks at Bloc for all they have taught me  I have come a long way from day 1 and I have so much more to learn :)

• Cherie M • Marketing Director • Student

I've been in the Bloc Designer Program for a little over a month now and have truly enjoyed every minute of it. The program challenges me on many levels while learning from those around me, through students, mentors and advisors. You really feel a sense of accomplish after going through each checkpoint and those checkpoints then carry you on each step to build those skills, understanding of design, prepare you for the future and provide you with opportunities beyond and give you the confidence. Love my mentor she is absolutely great and has helped me from day 1, we meet weekly. Great people here, highly recommend this program at any stage in your career.

• Excellent Program!
    - 3/28/2018
    Garrett • Salesforce Administrator • Student

I am currently finishing the Bloc Web Development track this week.

My experience through the entire program has been extremely positive, and I will say up front that Bloc's mentorship program was the reason and I started and the reason I was able to be successful. Learning to program is extremely difficult, and sometimes seems downright impossible, but having an experienced developer to help guide you through those difficult moments is quintessential to the learning process. WIth this said, there is a mutual expectation that you will do the hard work, and ask for guidance when needed.

While I was not using this program for a career change, I can tell you that there are many excercises throughout the curriculum that help prepare you and get you confident for your interviews. The assessments (Bloc's 'test' more or less) at the end of each module are done in an interview style, and after each assessment you receive the recording of the session to go over with your mentor.

The curriculum is well balanced between front end and back end programming, and teaching you the fundamentals you need to be successful. It's constantly changing and being updated as you go, and having access to the roadmap even after you complete the course is a great addition. With this said, I would recommend checking in with your mentor regularly regarding your roadmap, especially if your start date and enroll date are spaced out. There were a few times that I ended up doing older modules without realizing, only to find out new ones were available (and the new ones were much better).

For anyone looking to to learn about Web Development, I would absolutely recommend Bloc. The mentors, students, and Career Services team are all very enthusiastic about helping you achieve your goals.

• So far so good!
    - 3/26/2018
    Evan Medeiros • Student

So far I've been enjoying my experience in the Web Developer track with Bloc. What's great about it is that they give you just enough in curriculum to get an idea of how it's done, but not enough to just blow through the homework. You really do have to stretch those research and google muscles. The Slack channel is full of helpful folks in your same position, more than happy to help you out. Also, having a mentor meeting once a week has been great when there are those moments that you just can't wrap your mind around a concept. Plus, if you're in the middle of a project and can't seem to get a concept right, they respond to queries very quickly.

If affordabilty is an issue, one of the reasons I chose Bloc was their partnership with Skillsfund. In the past, development "bootcamps" have been really only for a select few people who could afford the high price tag, and kind of felt like a club you had to buy your way in to, and only those who could afford it need apply. I can't thank Bloc enough for that partnership. Without it, having a single income family and a child with special needs, I would have never been able to foot the bill.

Overall, I highly reccomend it. You will only benefit from your experience.

• Luke Chavez • IT Support • Student

This is a serious course for someone that is already good with computers. This course will teach you to code and it will be challenging. If you are prepared to work hard and have a great experience this is your place. They have great mentors and roud the clock assistance! You may need additional material outside the course to reall grasp all the concepts but they will get you 90% of the way there.

• Loving Bloc!
    - 3/12/2018
    Sarah B

I'm almost two months into the web developer track and am so amazed at how much I've learned, and how easy it is to retain. Bloc uses everyday logic to introduce concepts and it works wonderfully. I'm very excited to see where this goes in the upcoming months, and am super thankful for the opportunity!

• Sheronda • Student

I am a BLOC student on the Web Developer Track who is a 50-year-old African-American woman and a European resident. I desire a career change that allows me to work from home and on my schedule. I come from an electrical engineering background but with limited coding experience.  However, I have been doing websites using an editor the last five years as a volunteer at my church and work. I wanted to take my skills to a higher level but needed an online program that offered flexibility and accountability without having to earn another degree. I found BLOC!

After numerous hours searching online, I found BLOC and was very impressed by the program offering and testimonies. I could relate to the alumni. Regular meetings with a Mentor and the flexibility of obtaining new skills online sold me on the program. I like its structure, the encouraging feedback from the Grading Team, and the course content. BLOC also offers Group Sessions which allow me to supplement the curriculum and interact with other students and mentors. BLOC’s Student Portal has an excellent layout. I can chart my progress and also see the next steps.

My education at BLOC started to pay off during my first month. On my job, I serve as my team’s webmaster and help with online communications in addition to other duties. I was able to troubleshoot code and even code an entire page without the web editor. I had surprised myself. Also, I noticed I could better understand my peers in IT and direct vendors who I outsource e-marketing jobs.

BLOC’s curriculum is very intense, but the key is that you go at your own pace. You are not in competition with anyone. I commit 20 hours a week to my studies. At times with the demands of my job, serving in the church, and being a wife, I may do less. But the key for me is dedicating set hours to schooling and keeping my Mentor apprised of any concerns I may have. Once persons found out I was going to school, I started getting support in different ways. My interns and the younger members of my church are in awe that someone my age is going back to school and doing something they consider “hard.” My husband is my biggest cheerleader.

BLOC’s curriculum, focus on customer satisfaction, and flexibility is equipping me to bring my dream to fruition. I recommend BLOC to everyone.

• Kasper Pickett • Student

I am 17 weeks into my Software Developer course at Bloc.io. The coursework has been very challenging, but with the resources they provide it is also very manageable.   I am very excited to graduate and get a job in the field and am confident I will do so with this program.

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here