bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (472) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Miles Heise  User Photo
    Miles Heise • software engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am the quintessential coding school fairytale story. I was a bartender and now I am a few months into a great job as a software engineer and I still can't believe my new life is really mine sometimes.

I picked Bloc partly because of the pacing. Unlike a bootcamp, I could still work my old job and support myself and do the coursework when I had time. You really do sort of set your own pace, too: they had one program that was about 6 months and one that was more like a year, which is the one I took, but when things were going well and I wanted to work ahead they didn't mind so in the end I was done in maybe 7 months.

They do a good job of helping you a lot at first but weaning you off of it. You get a lot of detailed instruction on earlier projects then later ones becomre more like just a set of criteria to meet and you do it your own way. This means you do a lot of googling, and you have a very active Slack channel to ask questions if you get stuck, and you save up questions for you mentor meetings as well. Now that I'm out working in the field I can say this is excellent prep for what it is really like at a programming job: getting a set of criteria for a project, only knowing half of it already, doing research to teach myself the rest, and reaching out to ask a coworker questions if I get stuck, is literally what being a real programmer is on a day to day basis.

This actually helped me a lot in job interviews, too. The way that Bloc works like real tech companies do was something I could really use for selling myself. It does mean that you get out of Bloc what you put in. You do a lot of self-teaching and a lot of self goal-setting and you really have to be internally driven. But if you have those qualities then Bloc will become whatever you want it to be (for instance, on my final project I decided to use several technologies Bloc doesn't even teach, and just figure them out myself, and my Bloc mentor was still totally up for helping me and guiding me with that).

So, if you are an internally-driven person, and someone who just loves to learn for learning's sake, you are the kind of person Bloc is made for.

• UX Design Track
    - 6/21/2018
    Keyona Richey • Student

Living in Los Angeles there were quite a few options for coding boot camps in my area but most are $10,000+ for tuition and require 3-5 months of full-time dedication. Which unless you have a lot of savings to pull from is just not a financially sustainable option. On top of this, I wasn't sure I wanted to go into UX design or would prefer to learn how to become a web developer. When I contacted a student advisor with Bloc about my indecision she was very helpful in providing me with resources I could try in order to make my choice. Bloc was the best choice for me because it allows me to work a day job and learn at my own pace. In addition, I was able to receive a scholarship which significantly helped with my ability to afford the program on top of the flexible payment plans they have available. I am about 2 months into the Design track and love the module layout. It makes it is easy to see my progress. The weekly mentor meetings are helpful in clarifying concepts and asking for additional resources. The additional weekly learning sessions are very insightful and focused on specific topics. Also, the Slack community is very helpful for getting quick assistance from other students, alumni, or assigned mentors.  I am grateful an option like Bloc exists so that I could have the opportunity to make a meaningful career change.

• Felicia Jackson • Pension Administrator • Student

I started BLOC on May 14, 2018, I am very pleased with the program.  I have learned so much already,  it is very challenging, but the feedback you receive from the grading team, and the assistance you get from the Slack community technical support, and other students, you never feel like you are out there on your own. It is an 8 month course, but I’m doing it on a full time basis, so I want to try and finish sooner, so I can look for work in this new field.  If I have one complaint, it would simply be that I wish that assignment instructions had a bit more detail about what is needed. There were times that it was unclear what was needed, and I wasted time doing something that wasn’t necessary to complete the assignment.  Make it plain.

• UX Design Track
    - 6/16/2018
    Siuan M  User Photo
    Siuan M • VFX artist • Student Verified via GitHub

I started the UX Designer track about 2 months ago and honestly think it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It is so hard to balance work, kids and education, but the flexibility of this program is allowing me to dive in and accomplish a lot in a short amount of time.

The program is really rigorous but the amount of knowledge and skills I am gaining rapidly is so encouraging. I have taken many courses online in the past (that I enjoyed and learned from) but Bloc is really different from my prior experiences. It is efficient and comprehensive.

The weekly mentor meetings are so helpful, as are the coaches on the slack channel. When I am stuck, I can get help immediately, in real time. Though I am working really hard, I am really enjoying the process and feel excited and hopeful about new career prospects.

• Brandon Richie  User Photo
    Brandon Richie • Student Verified via LinkedIn

"Bloc Rules! "

I started the course 8 weeks ago and have enjoyed it all. They mentors and student success team have all been super supportive and the community on slack is always a great reference point if you are stuck. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to begin a career as a web developmer.

• Great course!
    - 6/15/2018
    Charlie Wang  User Photo
    Charlie Wang • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I joined 2 months ago and have had a fantastic run. Mentors are helpful in providing high level advice and working with you on numerous projects, grading team is super responsive and helpful in not only getting the answer but also making sure you understand the concept well, and the community is very helpful in keeping up the motivation and sharing ideas. Great course overall!

• Sergio Ghibellini Steixner   User Photo
    Sergio Ghibellini Steixner • Digital Innovation Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The seventh week into the Designer's track program. This program has been a dream course ever since I found about it. The support received from Slack, the community, and the mentors are on the spot.

Just put the effort and hours you need to succeed, but the Bloc team is always looking forward to helping you, on whatever problem you have.

The curriculum is the right amount of information you need. The course builds on it, so you don't have to worry about looking for more info. I say this because in today fast paced world and living you get overwhelmed with all the information you receive, especially in your email and your smartphone, its an issue Bloc has foreseen and embedded into their program.

I highly recommend this program!

• Jacqueline H. • Graduate

I'd been working as a frontend developer for a couple years and was hoping to learn some new UX/UI deisgn skills by taking the Bloc course. Bloc made it seem like this was a good option for people, like myself, who had some industry experience already.

Enrolling and completing this course was a mistake. I feel that I have wasted time and money in doing so. I was hoping I would gain valuable knowledge by enrolling but I did not. As someone with prior experience, I have learned more about UX/UI design as a front-end developer in the industry. Not with Bloc.

My mentor was extremly kind though he was constantly running late and then our meetings would be rushed. He would also forget about feedback he would give me in previous weeks and contradict his own design critiques. When I tried to switch mentors, there were none other available.

• Paul  User Photo
    Paul • Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This program has already exceeded my expectations and I'm only 1 month into the program! What's incredible about Bloc is that they give you the flexibility and affordability unlike many other bootcamps. I am planning to complete the program in approximately 5 months, so I will only pay ($1250 x #months enrolled). This pro-rated concept within the framework of a bootcamp is very empowering! Not only to influence you to finish within the time frame you'd like, but to save a lot of money as compared to other programs that force you into a set number of months for a set amount of many thousands more than this programs' average rate. Highly recommend this program!

• Jedediah Arnold  User Photo
    Jedediah Arnold • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The Bloc course has been awesome so far! I am 6 weeks enrolled in the Web Developer Track. It has done a great job of building community, mentorship, career preparation, and knowledge. I would definitely suggest this to anyone who has 20-25hrs/week to learn. The reason 'cirriculum' was given a 4star was because I do not feel like each concept is given enough required practice to learn. This is where the instructors and community had a huge impact on me in getting me more resources to truly learn the concepts that I needed to progress.

I will try to post another update as I progress further in the course!

• Student at Bloc
    - 5/18/2018
    Brooke   User Photo
    Brooke • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Having a bit of a technical background ( Tech Support/Community Manager) I was thrilled to be awarded a Diversity scholarship from Bloc - which was the only thing that enabled me to attend a coding bootcamp! I am now leveling up my skill set and already interviewing for Jr. Dev jobs - my mentor is really great and the curriculum is interesting so far!

• Anonymous • Sales Manager • Student

I have already wasted so much time and energy with this useless program.  For prospective students, please do not waste your money!  I can not even begin to explain how awful this program is.  The content is made up of links to free programs.  If you are lucky enough to get the "mentor" who actually cares.  You might be told, "just give it a bit longer" or "wait until you reach Blocs original content".  Long story short.  I am not the only person who was strung along.  I do wish more people would share these experiences.  Not sure what happens to negative reviews on these sites?

Response From: Megan of Bloc
    Title: Marketing Associate
    Wednesday, May 30 2018
    Hi there,

My name is Megan and I'm the Marketing Associate here at Bloc. Thank you for taking the time to review Bloc! I hate to read that you've not enjoyed your experience. We rely on the feedback we receive from our students to continue to improve our curriculum. We value your honest feedback and stand behind our curriculum and our program outcomes!

Please email success@bloc.io with any concerns and feedback so we can continue to improve. We look forward to talking with you!

Best,

Megan

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here