bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

- 6/19/2017
    Carissa C. • Student

I am 7 weeks into the software developer track and so far, my experience has been awesome.  I started learning to code on my own before enrolling in Bloc using a variety of free and paid online courses through Coursera, Udemy, EdX, etc.  While those were good introductions to programming, what I have learned so far at Bloc has far exceeded what I had done on my own.  Since I am stlil working a full time job, the online, self-paced format was a key part of my decision to go with Bloc, and I have not been disappointed.  The content and order of topics (organized in modules and checkpoints) is very well thought out, and breaks down development into bite-sized pieces that make learning it seem much more feasible.  At the same time, they are challenging and push me to learn, and so far have never felt bored.  When I initially chose Bloc for the online platform, I now think that one of the best parts of the program is the 1-on-1 mentoring.  I loved that I got to pick my mentor (from a huge list of qualified people), and so far it's been awesome.  My mentor and I clicked right away, and she is very supportive and responsive to my questions, even outside of our weekly meetings.  She has a great balance of helping me and directing me on how to solve/debug issues on my own.

Overall, I am so glad that I decided to start this program with Bloc.  This has been a great fit for me based upon my stage in life.  I am married with two young daughters, so this program has allowed me to still pursue a dream of learning software development and eventually switching careers into the tech industry, while still mainting my current job since I am the main breadwinner/insurance provider/etc.  I can't wait to keep learning more in the coming months!

• Andrew • Product Designer • Graduate

I enrolled in the Designer Track course (6 months at full-time pace) and accepted a job offer 4 months in!  I spent a lot of time researching the best option to get into the digital design industry.  I came from a financial consulting role, so support when switching from another industry was important to me.  Also, I loved that in addition to the entire design process, front-end development is also included in the curriculum.  it's helped me a lot so far in my new product designer position within a software development agency in Chicago.  The best part of Bloc, however, is the mentorship.  3 times a week I met with my amazing mentor Terry as he helped guide me (and push me when needed) as I discovered the world of design.  His guidance throughout the program and specifically on my projects directly influenced my confidence as a new designer and is not only the reason I got a job - but the reason I'm doing well in my new role.  I can't imagine I would have gotten the same level of education in another online bootcamp as I did with Bloc. Additionally, the ability to interact and work with other students and mentors in the very large Slack community is extremely valuable.  Highly recommend if you're ready to take the leap into design or development and looking for a bootcamp/apprenticeship.  Hard work but worth it.

• Monica Xue • Student

I am currently in my second month of the UI/UX Design Fundamentals with Bloc. I really like and appreciate the fact that this course is built around projects. We might not have accomplished too many designs, but we’ve been hands-on in every single stage of the whole designing and coding of an actual product / service. And in most checkpoints, we have the chance to practice and transfer what we have learned from the instruction videos to our own designs or projects. I think this type of teaching style is providing us with real ability and skills, as it can be very hard to keep the project going without knowing what we are doing. It is also very helpful because as UI/UX designers we will need to work alongside people that are in charge of different stages like visual design and front-end development,and we need to have at least working experience with all the necessary tools to understand their job.

• Julian Napolitan • People Product Developer • Student

My company sponsored me to learn more about programming so I could help with maintaining some of our internal tools (I'm an HR technology specialist), and after doing some research I decided Bloc fit my needs and schedule the best. Prior to enrolling in Bloc's full stack web developer track, I had some working knowledge of some basic web languages like HTML and CSS, but I was very intimidated to learn more about Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and the like. Bloc's guided self-paced curriculum in conjunction with 1:1 mentor meetings made grasping the complex programming topics involved in the curriculum not only manageable but also fun. My mentor Alex has been fantastic throughout my entire time with Bloc; always responding to inquiries quickly and providing support and expertise whenever I need it. Because of the great program and expertise Bloc and their mentors provide, I've gone from being intimidated by programming to confident in my abilities and I've even landed a more specialized job as an internal product developer for a major tech company. I would highly recommend this program for anyone looking to build skills and make a lateral career move into programming.

• Priya B • Student

I am glad I chose BLOC to be a catalyst in my career change.

I have been in the Design Program for a couple of months now and I already feel I have learnt a lot more than I would have anticipated. The BLOC curriculum is structured quite well and helps you build your skills in an intelligent manner.

Having the continuous guided support of my mentor accelerated my progress, helped me get over my obstacles, and pointed me in the right direction.

BLOC Slack community also allows us to communicate with any BLOC member to discuss concerns, ask questions, share knowledge and much more.  Even though the program is online, it really gives me a feeling that I am learning with every student at BLOC as they share their experiences, frustrations and achievements.

• Bloc Experience
    - 6/5/2017
    Dustin Fite • Student

About 3 months into the program, and a veteran of Codeacademy and TreeHouse and just about every other website you can think of trying to grind my way into web development. I can honestly say that in the 3 MONTHS enrolled i"ve learned more than all my combined time just punching away on these websites. It's challenging and fast paced and above all stressful, but don't let that discourage you. This course is fun and rewarding and there is a safety net of experienced mentors that are just an email away.

• Sean • Student

I'm about one month into the Web Developer track and I'm very happy with Bloc so far. The curriculum is great and designed so that you are excited to work on the projects. My mentor is very smart and has lots of experience in the industry. I always am feeling inspired after our meetings. The career prep part of the program is going well. Overall I feel I am learning a lot and enjoying myself.

• Justin B. • Student

I am currently 6 weeks into the Part Time Web Development Track and my experience with Bloc has been awesome. I am truly happy with how much I've learned in this time. I've tried to learn web development on my own but never made this much progress. Admittedly, the work is difficult and you really need the mental and emotinal stamina to push though. I give credit to Bloc for providing a great curriculum to follow. My mentor has also been an INVALUABLE source of information and support!

• Anna • Capital Analyst • Student

I started the Bloc Design track program a little over a month ago, and it's been so great.  I chose this program because it teaches you design basics as well as coding and I liked the idea of having a mentor.  The mentorship aspect is really the best.  My mentor is very encouraging and great at leading me to see where my best ideas are.  Highly recommend the program.

• Great opportunity!
    - 5/16/2017
    Ian • Student

I would heartily recommend Bloc to anyone looking for a cost-effective route to a new career in the ever burgeoning tech field.  I'm only several weeks into the course so far, but I have learned plenty about basic user research, design principles, wireframing in Balsamiq and Illustrator, and constructing interfaces in Sketch.  I'm on the part-time schedule (10-15 hrs/wk), which is a great option for people who need to work.  I meet with my mentor once a week and it's a quick 30 mins but we do go through what I've worked on that week and he offers his insights.  This aspect of the program is probably most valuable, having a seasoned professional to learn from.  I know as the course gets more in depth, I'll benefit even more from having a mentor.

• Muhammad Javed • Student

My expereience at bloc has been overwhelmingly postive .Having a mentor makes a night and day difference in learning , any problems that i run into i know ill have a mentor there to help guide me through it instead of me just researching and looking up the answer . The curriculum is updated regularly and is streamlined so you can blaze through it while having a good grasp of the core concepts . I would recommend Bloc to any one looking to change careers or even students who are considering a conventional CSE degree .

• Alxandra C. • Graphic Designer • Student

I started the design track last March 23 and have been enjoying it so far. I've learned so much, the curriculum is great and my mentor is very knowledgeable and helpful. I look forward to every checkpoint, bloc makes bootcamp learning fun! I highly recommend this school if you're looking to switch careers or just add on some skill sets. I'll update my review with the job assistance part when i get there. :)

• Tim • Student

After years in Customer Service and Sales jobs, I knew it was time to make a career change. After attending many different open houses and conducting research on all of the different bootcamps and graduate school options, I decided that Bloc was the right choice for me. In just seven months, I have been able to begin building a solid portfolio of design and front-end development work. In this time, I've also learned how to use approximately a dozen design tools and received extensive one-on-one direction from my mentor, who has been there to help me every step of the way. Whenever I've felt stuck on or needed feedback on an assignment, I've been able to connect with fellow students and receive feedback within hours, if not minutes. The cost-coupled with the hands-on mentorship you receive and the tools that you are exposed to-has been absolutely worth it for me. There is a tremendous amount to learn, but I absolutely feel that I made the right choice. There is a long road ahead before I'll be ready to make my mark in the Design field, but I don't feel that any other program could prepare me for the challenge as well as Bloc has thus far. Highly recommended!

• Diego A • Marketing Manager • Student

Make no mistake, the courses are clear and the mentors are always there for you BUT you must study and do a lot of research.  The curriculum is great and it works for my chedule!

• Designer Track
    - 5/4/2017
    Jeannine O. • Graphic Designer • Student

I researched several different Web Design boot camps before choosing Bloc. I am happy so far with the program. The content is easy to follow, but still challenging. The one-on-one mentorship is very helpful. Its great to have someone to ask for feedback on my work and to answer any questions that I have. I have a print design background, but the course has already taught me some new concepts. I am looking forward to adding to my existing portfolio with my Bloc coursework.

• Full Stack track
    - 5/4/2017
    Yury • Associate application developer • Student

First I have to start that I have a full-time job in tech already and I'm not willing to let it go. Part time option of Bloc.io was the perfect predefined solution for me and will be for those who have bills to pay and a family to support. I have received a scholarship as a Veteran. The process of enrollment is smooth and painless. A bit confusing at first with the subcontract to get you up to speed with essential tools, but after you pass that, you will totally value the approach. The format of learning is step by step instruction and assignments to test your knowledge at the end. All the way you have an instructor to answer you questions - the main reason I have chosen this program, btw. You have from 1 to 4 meeting a week depending on the pace you have chosen, you can change pace anytime, as many times as you want. Which gives you a relevant freedom to finish the program as soon as you can/want. If thinking to drop out program offers prorated reimbursement. Watch out, 15% falling behind will exclude you from that privilege.

Bottom line the program was a great experience so far, that gives you an option to keep your job, challenges you with a rigorous curriculum and a human support. Highly recommended.

• Bloc is great!
    - 4/28/2017
    Matthew Musser • Student

If you are looking for a great coding bootcamp look no further than Bloc! Bloc is a great coding bootcamp with great mentors. My mentor is very helpful and knows what he is talking about when it comes to Web Development! Bloc's curriculem is top notch; I've learned so much from them since I started the Web Development track a few months ago! Choose Bloc!

• A Great Program!
    - 4/28/2017
    Jeremy Wind • Student

Hello,

I began the Part-Time Web Developement Track at Bloc early March. I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying it. The curriculum is clear, concise, and has always left me with feeling comfortable with what I have learned. I recently just completed my first "bigger" project, Bloc-Jams, and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire process. I learned more than I could imagine throughout these past 3 weeks, and my mentor always replied within hours to help whenever I had an issue. The hands-on and mastery learning style that Bloc achieves is a true testiment to the strength of the program overall. I know I have enjoyed the past weeks, partly to the constant support Bloc provides. I have never been this excited to put my nose to the grindstone before!

• Matilda • Student

Im currently enrolled at bloc for the UX Design course. I picked the 9th month track and it's amazing. Having the cariculum online really gives me the flexibility to work as fast or slow as I want. The work is challenging, interesting and I have weekly support with a mentor. I really recommend this boot camp to anyone interested in design, and being a creative problem solver.

• Nate • Student

My experience so far with Bloc has been fantastic. I am coming from a background in Mechanical engineering and robotics, so I was really hoping that the curriculum would go in depth about concepts and not just scratch the surface. It did this incredibly well. Between having access to a very qualified mentor, an beautifuly designed curriculum, and excellent resources for whatever you need, Bloc sets you up to become a junior developer as quickly as possible.

I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who is interested in learning the skills to become a software developer.

• Gabriel Cralley • Student

Bloc has been an incredibly positive experience for me, especially relative to my independent forays into teaching myself computer programming.

The curriculum not only teaches discrete skills.  It applies them immediately to create a functional app as early as three weeks into the program.  Furthermore, the mentor support fosters further learning.  Because I had access to an experienced programmer at all times, I never had to stew too long in a skill that I did not understand.

Overall, Bloc combines integrated curriculum with impeccable staff support to ensure student success.

- 4/27/2017
    Anthony • Graduate

I recently finished the part time web developer track with Bloc.  I started last summer with basically no coding experience, and came out with a portfoilio full of projects, a solid understanding of object oriented programming, and a lot of support for finding a job.

The mentorship is the best part of Bloc.  I had the privilege of having two mentors throughout the course, both of whom were fantastic.  They both had a great way of breaking down abstract ideas into something I could understand, were always willing to answer my questions, and continue to provide me support even after the completion of the course.

Along with a great mentorship program, the Bloc community is amazing as well. The slack channel for Bloc is very supportive for those that have questions, want to network, and basically anything else. I always felt at ease knowing that my Bloc buddies on slack were there for me if I needed them.  Having graduated, I have reached out to some Bloc graduates in the area, and they have been very kind in terms of connecting me with people and giving me advice.

Web development is a large field, and there is only so much you can learn in six months. Bloc does a great job at teaching you enough to feel confident moving forward, and enough to put on your portfolio and resume as you apply for jobs.  Bloc not only taught me alot, but made me even more excited as I enter the tech world.

While Bloc is great, it is only as good as you make it for yourself. You have to put in the work, and at times it can be very challenging learning new topics.  Programming is hard and requires a lot of work and dedication. I worked a full time job while enrolled in Bloc; and while it was hard at times, I am glad I did it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge and taking a next step in their career!  If you are hesitant ( like I was in the beginning ), I would say go for it!

• Aaron

If you are deciding on a career change into UX or UI design, I would highly recommend you to look into Bloc's Designer Track program. The material that Bloc teaches you is very practical and you learn how to use design software that current UX/UI designers use. Before the program, I had always thought that the Adobe Creative Suite was out of reach and that it would be very difficult to learn. However, going through Bloc's curriculum has proved me wrong, and thankfully it did! I have also had the chance to use other software and services such as Sketch, Balsamiq, and inVision.

Furthermore, you do a deep-dive learning into Frontend Development, and learning how to code never hurts anyone, right? Though debugging code can be a pain, it is very rewarding when you can code your own project.

My mentor, Sharon, is also wonderful and provides me great feedback and suggestions.

I am currently a full-time student doing the 36 week track, and I can tell you that you really do need to dedicate time and hours to learning at Bloc. However, your effort and dedication will pay off. I'm almost 3 months into the program and have already completed my first project!

Overall, I would say that it has been a great ride so far. No major complaints :)

• Bloc is AMAZING!
    - 4/27/2017
    Jonathan Look • Student

I've been wanting to learn web development for a long time now but I have a hard to learning by myself through websites that teach you to code. (teamtreehouse.com, codeacademy.com, etc.) Bloc has given me that accounatbility to learn what I need to learn and help me reach my goal of finding a job as a web devloper. The mentorship is amazing and my mentor helps push me along. He's really great at helping me solve the issues that I'm having and always answers any questions that I may have. I would reccomend Bloc to anyone that wants to get into Web Devleopment!!

• Carolie • Student

Bloc is an efficient online coding boot camp. They are very timely and responsive, their mentors are very helpful, and I have not had an issue with them at all. I am very pleased to be going to this school.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates