bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (457) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Robert  User Photo
    Robert • Student Verified via GitHub

At this point, I have completed the first two modules of the Software Developer Program, which consisted mainly of Front-end material.  So far I have been extremely pleased with the content, the program, and especially my mentor.  This is not my first experience with front-end material so how the material was delivered to aid in my learning experience was extremely important to me.  Before Bloc, I tried to learn on my own, as well as took some basic classes provided from other sites.  Unfortunately, I was not satisfied with my progress or the content and felt that I would not be prepared to not only look for a job, but to be successful in the field.  Bloc has completely changed that for me in the few months that I have been in the program.  I now feel that I am being prepared to be able to successfully find a job and be successful in that job, once I complete the program.  If I could have had this experience a few years ago, I believe that I would already by in the profession.  However, the Software Developer Program is a newer program that is offered by Bloc, so I am lucky to get that kind of experience that will increase my skills for the job market.  Also, I have felt that Bloc actually cares about my progress, that I am not on my own, and provides skilled mentors that also care about my progress.  This program is not like others that I have looked into or taken, it is truly an apprenticeship and I completely have the confidence that the program will prepare me to enter the world of software engineering.  If you are looking for a program, more than a just bootcamp (that just crams all the information in a short time), then I completely recommend Bloc.

• Bloc ROCKS!
    - 2/25/2017
    J M  User Photo
    J M • Systems Administrator • Student Verified via GitHub

I am about 8 weeks into the Software Engineering Track and I have nothing but good things to say about Bloc.  I have a technical background with 5+ yrs experience in System Administration and I have also tried other bootcamp style courses (Udacity, Coursera, Udemy, Safari Learning Paths, etc.).

I can say without hesitation that Bloc blows them out of the water.  The curriculum is effective and challenging but also extremely well thought out so as not to overwhelm students.  Building on that foundation is a fantastic mentor experience which is what really sets this program apart.

If you are thinking about a career change (or starting a career) in software development, consider Bloc. It is worth every penny!

• Ted Bell  User Photo
    Ted Bell • Student Verified via GitHub

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bloc so far. I am about nine weeks in and it has taught me more about Web Development than I knew in my three years of trying to learn it by myself. My mentor has helped me understand abstract concepts that had always eluded me. Their curriculum is done is such a way that keeps you challenged but is always broken down so it’s easy to understand. Bloc is the best decision I have ever made since deciding to learn how to develop.

• Allison Philips  User Photo
    Allison Philips • Student Verified via GitHub

After a successful career in print production, I decided to completely change my track and become a Full Stack Web Developer. I spent weeks researching different boot camps and made the decision to enrollin BLOC. I'm really happy with my decision, the curriculum is very thorough and makes you work. Like anyone learning something new, I have had some struggles, but my mentor Tessa is amazing and helping me through any of the tough spots. I am halfway through and now working on some really cool projects that will build a great portfolio. I'm confident that when I am finished with the course, and with Bloc's help with career planning and interviewing I'll have an amazing new career. If you're dedicated, and willing to put in the time and effort, you will be successful at Bloc!

• Katy • UX/UI Designer • Student
    I just finished my 8 month experience on the designer track at Bloc. I took this course while being a full time teacher and I had a wonderful experience. The best thing about this course for me was that I really could make it work with my schedule. I currently have a job as a designer and my process through the Bloc program prepared me very well for it. Past reviews may mention issues with the grading team not getting feedback to you early enough which I could tell Bloc worked hard to address as it was not an issue for me. The technical coaching was also always very prompt in helping me and my mentors were awesome, kind, and really wanted me to succeed. Every person is different in what they need from a bootcamp but as a person who needs to be ablet o juggle a career and courses, this is a great choice.
  • Lucas • Graduate
    Pros - Price, decent curriculum, able to go at your own pace, good mentors, fun projects, great careers coach, resources for when you are stuck.

Cons - Not as good mentors, always assumes everyone is taking 8 months, slow response time to assignment reviews, no React Hooks, data structures and algorithms is rushed.

Overall, I think taking this Bloc program was really rewarding and I believe that for the most part they kept up their end of the bargain. I learned a lot in a pretty quick time, and I was able to take those skills and use them in pursuit of a new career. I ended up with a great mentor initially and everything was great. As the course is 'Go at your own pace', I took it full time and ended up finishing in just under 4 months. Even though it is go at your own pace, throughout the course Bloc references 8 month finish time. It's pretty weird that they keep referencing that throughout the course considering it is go at your own pace. For the future I hope that this changes considering not everyone will take 8 months to complete the course. Along the same lines, sometimes it can take a long time to get an assignment reviewed. Since I was going at a faster pace, I kept moving and would receive a response a week later, after I had moved way past that assignment. It can get a little annoying to have to go back and fix a little mistake when I am already far past that checkpoint. Overall though, it's not a huge issue.

In terms of the course work and teaching style I think it is pretty well written and easy to understand - for the most part. The first half of the course is much easier to follow and I believe more well written than the second half. They seem to dive way deeper in the fundamentals than they do in the later parts while learning React and Data Structures and Algorithms. Those later portions of the course feel rushed and not explained as much. They essentially want you to follow along, but then you go to implement it yourself with the same steps and it won't work. I had to take a udemy course on react side by side Bloc in order to understand the concepts easier and get a more thorough understanding. This seems to be what most people do. In the case of Data Structures and Algorithms, I also think they should take more time to go over these concepts, it's not really clear what they are wanting or explaining, and then you have a mock interview on it right after.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and think it was reasonably priced. I think there are a few things that could be improved going forward but overall they prepare you for a new career and provide a ton of help to do so. I would recommend it to a friend depending on their situation. I think if you have 15k to spare, it's probably better to go to a full time in person bootcamp.
  • Paul • Graduate
    I took the course in 2016 for front end web development. During that time they promised 6 month tuition reimbursement guarantee. Which was one of the things that attracted me. It made me feel comfortable. I finished the course within the given time frame and followed their rules. I applied for jobs for 6 months and was not able to find job. They promised job after 6 months of job searching. If you weren't able to find work within then they promised tuition guarantee. If you are planning to enroll DO NOT bank on the tuition guarantee. Although the content of the course was decent and helped me become better coder but they will not follow through on their promise for tuition guarantee. At least for me they didn't. They told me to do an extra 3 months of job searching. I never did get a job or my tuition. Now I'm stuck with a 10 grand debt I've been paying off for 4 years. I'm working on filing a lawsuit but they make you sign an agreement to arbitrate any disputes. No taking issues to court. They are very sneaky. Worst experience of my life. Highly do not recommend.
  • Sihao Cao • Bloc Graduate • Graduate
    I am a Bloc graduate after being in the Web Developer Track from July, 2019 to March, 2020. I feel this bootcamp does a great job of teaching you the essentials of modern-day web development. My mentor was great at answering questions and the technical coaches on Slack were superb in addressing my coding issues. I liked the fact that mock interviews and job prep were integrated into the curriculum as they are a great primer for getting me ready for the job market. I liked the online self-paced structure of the program as well. I would highly recommend this program to others!
  • Christie Chang • UX Designer • Graduate
    I was previously a graphic designer at my job stuck in my career. I decided to enroll myself in Bloc's Designer Track hoping to transition my career from a graphic designer into a UX Designer. Bloc's Designer Track is incredibly challenging and a lot of work. However, out of the program, I was able to understand UX Research methods, obtain more knowledge in Visual Design, and also learned how to Front-end Code. We took all that we learned and was required to create our own website from scratch. The ability to learn how to code already made my money's worth in my opinion. It has been a valuable bonus skill when I spoke to employers. All the mentors I had in the course were really helpful and definitely did their best to help students out. However, for those interested in enrolling in the course, be mindful that it takes up a lot of time and effort. I oftentimes found myself lacking self-motivation. However, if you keep moving forward, it will all be very rewarding in the end. After graduating, I was given an offer soon after for a full-time UX Design position.
  • A • Graduate
    There are a lot of things I wish I had known about this program before signing up so I'm here to tell my story hoping someone finds it useful if you're on the fence about this. I'm surprised at how many 5 star reviews are on here. The program pesters you to complete a review 2 - 3 weeks into the curriculum which was really annoying. I'd take some of these 5-star reviews with a grain of salt.

Curriculum: Once you're enrolled, you're given access to their Slack channels and to their site to begin the program. You then choose a mentor that you'll meet once a week to go over any problems or questions you may have. The material consists of a series of checkpoints with practice problems that you need to complete in order to move onto the next. There are slack channels for each section/modules you're on to ask technical mentors for help when you're stuck on a problem. You'll take an assessment after each module through online video conferencing which will unlock the next module upon successful completion. In the end, you take your final assessment along with a final project to see if you get your certificate.

Pros: It gets you started with web development. Some of the mentors seemed to genuinely care about my success and learning. The git workflows. Career services were solid.

Cons: This is going to be a lot - The material was pretty disappointing. I was expecting video content at least to explain difficult concepts, but it was just plain text with external links to other resources. It's no different from going to a library and checking out a book on web development. I learned most of the material through Google, Udemy, YouTube - All significantly better resources.

The slack channels where you ask for help was extremely inefficient and clearly suffered from having understaffed technical coaches. This was really frustrating and really slowed down momentum when you're trying to solve a checkpoint and have limited time in the day. Sometimes a response could take 20-30 minutes since they had so many questions from other students. If a technical coach's shift is ending midway through a problem, a new one will jump in and you'll start the process over again. This is a HUGE problem when you're trying to complete the curriculum within 8-months. The program is aimed at working professionals, but after an 8-hour workday, I only had about 4 hours before the technical coaches leave for the night. This along with the fact that they were understaffed with 20-30 min response time was painful.

My mentors were hit or miss. As I said, some of them seemed to really care about my growth, while others seemed like they were just there for a paycheck and riding the hype train. You're expected to come prepared for these mentor sessions, but the mentors seemed to be disconnected from the curriculum and didn't come prepared by looking at your status in the program (even though they have access to it). Sometimes going over the checkpoints, they don't know what the projects or problem statements are so you have to spend extra time just familiarizing them. You only have 30 mins a week with them which is sometimes just enough 1 problem and familiarizing them with the curriculum didn't help. I also don't think that the mentors, technical coaches, and graders were all on the same page - There have been numerous times where they would have conflicting feedback on the checkpoints.

Overall: In the end, I did eventually find a job in the industry, but I wouldn't give too much credit to Bloc for that (Thanks Google, Andrei Neagoie, and Brad Traversy!). I know Bloc and Thinkful were going through a merger throughout this time so that may have contributed to the issues, but either way, it wasn't good for the students. If I could go back, I'd definitely attend an in-person, well-known Bootcamp to alleviate all the inefficiencies. I didn't know this going in, but a bootcamps network and reputation is pretty crucial in the job hunt phase. They can introduce you to more companies along with past alumni's in the industry to help get your foot in the door. While Bloc's career support was ok in job leads, their network is small in comparison. Also, after going through the job search, no one is going to care about your certificate of completion from the bootcamp. Networking, grit, portfolio, and interview skills will be key.

• Designer Track
    - 1/17/2020
    Eduardo Hirao • Product Designer • Graduate

I recently graduated Bloc's Designer Track and I'm very happy with the results

The curriculum is very well detailed and easily explains how the design process works, and even goes a bit deeper and teaches you front-end development, such as HTML5, CSS3, VanillaJS, and jQuery.

My mentor was amazing, whenever I had any doubts or felt like my projects needed a few tweaks, she was always willing to help, even on her days off, she told me to send her an email if I ran into any issues, and when I did, she immediately emailed me back.

The grading team was also a very important part of my journey to grow as a designer, sometimes it was a bit frustrating when my assignments were sent back for revisions, but their feedbacks were extremely helpful. The only issue I had with the grading team is that sometimes it took a few days for them to correct my assignments, which was a bit of a problem since I needed to pass those assignments to move on to the next checkpoint.

Aside from the grading team, there was also the student success, the slack community, daily design critiques, and a few seminars, which I used all of them, and proved to be extremely helpful towards my new career as a UX Designer.

One thing I wish Bloc's Designer Track had was a mandatory team project. Other than that my experience with Bloc has been amazing.

• Paul Cho • Graduate
    Bloc did not honor their guaranteed tuition reimbursement policy even though I followed protocol and adhered it's policies. I was finished with the intense 6 month track on web development and transitioning into the final stages of the program. But before I get there, I just want to give a background on why I chose Bloc over all other web developer alternative programs. Among many features that stood out, one stood out to me more than any. Bloc is an online course that boasts one to one mentorship which provides higher quality mentorship and support. Additionally they offer a rigourous 6 month courseload, Instenlsy focused to ensure rapid development of skills, in my case web developer and programming skills. They also guarantee a job within 6 months of completing Bloc curriculum, granted you keep up with their protocol. This included such actions such as keeping an excel spreadsheet and keeping track of interviews and recording particular details and reporting it at the end of the six month period. This is just one example amongst a list of things which was kept tracked on the course dashboard through a checklist. Mind you this checklist is automated and cannot be manually checked off. The only way it is checked off is if the system verifies it through the site. I followed all the protocols. Went to and applied to jobs required every week. Recorded and kept tabs. I tried my hardest and believed that I could do it but I believe my efforts were not enough. When it came time of the limit of the tuition guarantee, and after having applied time and time again with no luck, I reached out to Bloc leadership and have them notice about my situation that I had did what I was told yet without success. And that i wanted to knnow how it would work to get my tuition reimbursemt. When I confronted them, that's when everything changed. They knew my situation and. Ow all of a sudden they make an excuse. I spoke with Riley on the phone. He tells me a sob story about this wife that it wasn't easy for her as well and took her almost 9 months to get a job doing the same things I was doing. So after almost 6 months of following their strict regiment with no success on job placement after the course was finished, I walk into a wall and Riley tells me he can only honor the reimbursement under one condition. He says I need to do another 3 more months I. Order to get my money back. Mind you this is after 5 and a half months of doing what they told and following all the rules. I threaten to take this to court bbut they have arbitration instead. This is another catch I didn't know about I til I read the fine prints. Riley I want my money back. I never got it and you guuys lied to me and sacrewed me over. Anyone looking into Bloc, please make sure to gather all the facts. They have a history of screwing people over. They are money hungry and don't give a damn about whether you get a job after their course. They use technicalities of the legal process such as using arbitration laws instead of taking it to traditional legal proceedings that PUT EVERY CUSTOMER AT A DISADVANTAGE TO BLOC. I spoke with lawyers and they say this is what they do to get away with their corruptions.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here