bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (457) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Sergio G.  User Photo
    Sergio G. • IT Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My company had a need for a custom application that would tie directly to our existing Accounting software.  We researched using outside developers and determined that it would be less expensive and faster for me to learn the technologies required than it would be to teach the outside developers the intricacies of our industry.  Being able to work with my Mentor to develop my application as part of my capstone requirement for my course meant that I had a seasoned developer helping me develop the app my company required while I learned the languages cutting down the overall time of development even more.  All in all I was able to develop a working application and learn new skills with this course.  Couldn't have worked out better for me.

I also took the Android developers course and used this course to develop a mobile version of our custom application.

• Shane W.   User Photo
    Shane W. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started the Designer Track Apprenticeship back in January. It has been an incredible journey so far and I would recommend anyone interested in an online design program give Bloc serious consideration. Choosing to join a bootcamp program should not be taken lightly and I encourage anyone who is thinking about doing so really weigh their options carefully to make sure A) This is something they are serious about pursuing and B) Whatever option they pick best suits their needs. It may be Bloc, it may be something else do right by yourself all I can say is that I have had a fantastic experience thus far.

To try and keep this brief by highlighting two of key examples as to why I am so impressed with Bloc:

1. Mentorship/Support-My mentor is NOT 24/7. BUT my mentor has been invaluable in walking me through every stage of the program and when I couldn't reach him for an immediate answer on something I've been able get questions answered and feedback via the program director, other mentors and fellow students in the Slack/FB Community.
       When I was getting crushed by the demands of the 9-month pace (They say it is 25-hours a week of work but it was closer to 40 for me) and my current job or when I had a medical issue that I thought was going to force me to drop out the Student Success team went above and beyond in accommodating me. Bloc is a thriving and supportive community beyond being a program.
      Heck, when I was considering between Bloc and another program I reached out to a Bloc alum on my own and she was so giving and so positive and candid about her experience that it really sealed the deal.

2. Bloc is a Work in Progress- The curriculum has changed noticeably since I started back in January. There've been additions, and some major changes in the order of sections. There is one section that is being updated just because the tools changed a month or so ago. So things are constantly shifting and I appreciate that to no end. The team at Bloc is constantly assessing feedback from current students and alums and making changes and adjustments. So no, the program is not perfect. The curriculum is not perfect. But it is constantly evolving and improving and we are a major part in that.

TL;DR - Do your due diligence on if the field is right for you. Spend the time researching all your options and find the right one for you. If you decide on Bloc, know it is challenging but know that you are supported by a great staff and community who will go out of their way for you.

• So Far So Good
    - 5/21/2017
    Brandon Welsh  User Photo
    Brandon Welsh • Student Verified via GitHub

Bloc has a great course for web development, and i have really learned alot since joining the program. I went in already knowing c++ which made the course even easier to learn, but i think their teaching method is great. They have you do projects while teaching you the materal, so that you know how to implement and try out the information taught which makes it stick to my brain. They also provide many refrence material for eveything new they teach so that i can look up and learn more about what is being taught if i choose to have a better understanding on the material. Bloc also provides a mentor to help with any problems and qustions needing answers. All in all, i have no problems at Bloc, and staying on track isnt all that difficult. I can't wait for more to come.

• So far, so good!
    - 5/16/2017
    Erin Leck  User Photo
    Erin Leck • Nanny/Student at Bloc • Student Verified via GitHub

I am in my second month of the part time Software Developer Track program (20-25 hrs/week).

At this pace, I meet with a mentor twice a week for about 1/2 hour via Screenhero (an app where you can make phone calls and also share your screen with the person you are connected with).

So far I am very happy with the Bloc Curriculum.  They split up the program into Modules. Throughout each module there are quizzes to test your knowledge, and at the end of each module you have to pass an assessment (which is like a mock interview via google video chat) to make sure you have a good enough understanding of the content to move onto the next module.

The first module is basically online tutorials to learn the very basic concepts of HTML, CSS, Javascript, Git, and GitHub (great for someone like me who had close to zero experience with coding!)  It is understandable why they would have you go through these tutorials on your own to learn the very basics. You still meet with your mentor during this time, take quizzes, and take the assessment at the end.

I have a great mentor that is consistent and helpful.  The mentor piece of Bloc's curriculum is a huge part of why I feel like I am learning so well.  If I am stuck, he helps me by guiding me with questions to help me solve a problem, and doesn't just give me the answer.

Your mentor has a good understanding of Bloc's curriculum, how it all works, etc. So they are a great help to getting everything set up, and beyond that, knowing how you are doing.  They should have a good idea of your strengths and weaknesses and get you prepared for your assessments so you can feel confident going into them.

Overall I am very happy with Bloc!  It is a big time commitment, so make sure you actually have the time and motivation to work on it for the time you need to, sometimes more.

• Rachel Page  User Photo
    Rachel Page • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started the Designer track pretty recently. I already feel like I have acquired more useful skills in these past few months than I did throughout my whole experience in college. My mentor is really helpful and motivating. The staff is very responsive and friendly. Highly recommended for creative types who want to get into the tech industry without having to do back-end work.

• Casey B.  User Photo
    Casey B. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My previous full-time job was completely unrelated to programming. I had a few hobbies that surrounded computers (gaming, computer building) and I had spent some previous time with self study using free online resources and taking a couple community college CS courses. I had tried teaching myself C++ as a young teen and quickly realized how difficult that was, thus abandoning my early CS career. My current job was very stressful with long hours and no appreciation and little to show for it. So I can to the conclusion something had to be done and decided to look back at something that had interested me enough to attempt self learning with C++.

The Course:
    I spent 12 months in the Full Stack Web Developer course. The material was broad and deep. Their curriculum spans a huge range of topics and they push you in their projects to dig deeper. They help you develop a foundation and ensure you cover the basics, but very soon you will move past that as you attempt to put together real projects. It is in those projects where most of the learning takes place. Problem solving, debugging, and just trying stuff out. These projects were great in that they were advanced enough to showcase to potential employers and to push you to learn new things, but not so advanced that it was too challenging to complete in the necessary time frame. Most of the resources were developed in house and would only sometimes refer to outside resources for their course content.

To really excel in this course, you must have great discipline and self motivation. It is an online bootcamp with only occasional meetings with a mentor to push you along. You must come with the desire to move forward and persevere or you will not make it a success. I felt that I was pretty close to where I needed to be to land a job after completion. I only required a little bit longer in the job prep area to hone my interview skills and touch up on topics I was lacking.

Mentors:
    The course was broken into two sections, front end and back end. I had a different mentor for each section. For the back end section I had a ruby expert that had spent a large portion of his career in ruby and was very proficient. When it came to being a mentor however, I felt that I was spending too much money for the valuing I was receiving. He did not come to meetings with anything prepared and relied on me asking questions. This was not a good thing as I did not know what I did not know and was relying on him to help guide me along, which is one of the biggest advantages of having a mentor. He would also be unable to answer some questions where I wanted to do something in Rails that was, I guess, uncommon. I felt that it was a little weird for him to not have any idea about SQL for example. I did end up complaining about him after that section finished and Bloc offered me attention time in the course as a form of compensation. This was not sufficient but it was at least something.

For the second portion of the course, front end, I was matched with a more design oriented mentor. She was very much the opposite of my first mentor and probably the best mentor I’ve had. She came to all meetings with her own agenda before getting to any questions I had. I learned a great deal from her and she was always available to assist with questions or general advice. She was much younger and less experienced than my previous mentors, but she seemed to care more and be more in touch with the general industry. Her advice was much more meaningful in my eventual job search and employment than my previous mentors. She was also very involved, or at least had the knowledge, of how Bloc was structured and was able to keep me in tuned to the course and how the projects were designed to be approached. This helped ensure I was on topic and learning the things I should to make myself the most employable I could. Having the right mentor for you is key for these types of programs.

Job assistance:
    Bloc heavily advertises their career assistance before you join, however, overall I felt this to be lacking at the time of taking the course. I will say that they were in the process of changing a few things as I finished so I did not get the full benefit, though the items that were advertised at the beginning were still lacking. My assistance amounted to a couple technical mock interviews. While super helpful, I did not receive much more than this. I was anticipating a portfolio review, Linkedin review, other online presence reviews, and other tangible guidance. They did have written course guidance on the steps to prepping yourself for the job hunt, but that was all solo work with no overview from a trained professional as was advertised. This was a huge disappointment. Also, there was no follow up after I finished my mentor sessions. They did not check on me, offer me any help, or even respond with the promised T-shirt after I completed their exit survey. It was almost like, ‘OK, you’re done, c-ya’. This was absolutely terrible customer service as this is now the last thing I remember from them.

Overall:
    This course was decent. It is very expensive and the content is pretty good. I would say that if you get a great mentor and connect with them, then it could be worth the cost, however, if you do not or even just get a mediocre mentor, it is completely not worth it. I would recommend taking freecodecamp and if you feel you need a mentor, there is a website that offer paid time with a professional where you can get that mentor-ship help, but only as you need it and save a huge amount of money. As described above, my lasting impressions of Bloc are sub-par in consideration of the cost and promises, with the except of my second mentor.

• Bloc On!
    - 5/1/2017
    Chris Jones  User Photo
    Chris Jones • Student Verified via GitHub

I am now a couple of months in to my Part-Time Web Developer Track and it is incredible how much I have already learned.  The way the course is structured makes it very easy to learn the basics and then implement what you have learnt as you move through each section.  As you progress they take what you have already learnt and expand that knowledge with great tutorials and coding examples.  The mentors I have been allocated have been fantastic and such a great help when you inevitably find yourself struggling with some of the checkpoints.  They have always been able to guide me in the right direction and give great further explanation of any topics I am having issues with.

Overall I am very pleased with the progress I have made and am looking forward to learning so much more as the course continues.  I highly recommend you considering Bloc if you are thinking of learning any aspects of coding.

• Amy D.  User Photo
    Amy D. • Illustrator • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I did a lot of research before choosing BLOC, and can say with certainty (3 months in) that I made the right decision. The content is approachable, yet challenging. I’m refreshing my existing knowledge base as a lapsed designer, and I’m learning entirely new concepts and applications. The ability to go at my own pace really works for me, and the course has fit into my work/life balance very well. The curriculum includes a heavy dose of career preparedness work, something I frankly never received as an undergraduate or graduate student, and quite a value unto itself. Meet-ups organized by fellow students have been enabled connections, while mentors and fellow students (not to mention the CTO/Cofounder) are a constant helpful and informative presence on Slack, which functions as the school’s virtual campus.

• Sarah Sanders  User Photo
    Sarah Sanders • Teacher • Student Verified via GitHub

Bloc has been a fantastic experience so far.  I find the content very thorough and challenging with ample, friendly support.  The flexibility is fantastic for mybusy lifestyle while I am trying to switch careers.

• Heather Jackson  User Photo
    Heather Jackson • Student Verified via GitHub

I have been with Bloc as a UX Design and Development student for a few months now. The coursework is in-depth and pretty easy to follow. My only slightly lame experience was with the student advisors lack of communication, but that was only at the very beginning of the process of starting school. My mentor has been an amazing support system, and a source of real-world knowledge. My meetings with him always provide nuggets of wisdom and extra information that is invaluable to my learning process at that time and for the future. I was nervous about doing an online bootcamp since it means very little contact and feedback from others. But between my mentor, the Slack channel for other students, the Facebook group, and local meetups for Bloc students I have felt like my work can be effectively critiqued and I get plenty of participants for the assigments that require user feedback. The head of the design program even comments on the Slack channel everyday. It's pretty great how involved the school is in your learning process. And becuase I got a scholarship, my program will cost me a fraction of what the other mentor based programs I was looking at would have, which was a huge factor for me. I am really happy I chose Bloc.

• Courtney  User Photo
    Courtney • Massage Therapist • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm about a quarter of the way through my part-time web dev program with Bloc. It's been awesome! I'm a massage therapist with no prior background in coding, so it's definitely been challenging me to use my brain in new ways - but the pacing and flexibility of the program along with the personal support from my mentor has helped me to feel confident in my ability to learn the material at every step along the way. My favorite aspect of the program has got to be the personal mentorship - my mentor is GREAT at helping me to understand difficult concepts and giving me pointers when I get stuck. Bloc does a really good job of presenting the  material in a straightforward way, and the pacing of the program feels pretty spot on to me.

• David C.  User Photo
    David C. • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently 9 weeks in and almost done with the second module.

The Bloc Software Developer Track so far has done not only what I had expected but more so. It encourages you to do research on your own as well as side learning which helps you in the long run to solve ideas on your own. Not to mention it allows learning within Bloc much more easy because you're used to researching what you don't know.

It has its own methods of teaching as well as outside teaching. It has a great way to start with fundamentals, going to hands-on, and you doing it mostly on your own.

Each checkpoint and assignment you do; allows you to get a review of it. I think this is great because it means they are always looking for ways to improve.

Bloc seems to be able to keep it entertaining because I have yet to get bored, I feel confident in what I am learning so it keeps me hungry to do more.

In addition to the curriculum, you get a mentor. Now, you may not always need the mentor for the coding but your mentor will be an invaluable tool through out your learning journey. My mentor has told me much more about how life will be during your job as well as hiring and even looking for a job. Keeps me confident in what I'm doing and motivated to learn more.

As your doing the checkpoints and assignments, if you happen to get stuck, the mentors will always do their best to reply to you in a timely fashion to get you un-stuck. It usually doesn't take long and you can use that time to either keep on trying different ideas and researching or using that time to learn up from other websites.

In conclusion, in my search for a coding bootcamp (as well as trying some such as coursera), I decided upon Bloc and have not been disappointed. I have done other certificate courses such as for personal training through NASM but have never been so sure of myself as I am now doing Bloc. Great opportunity.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here