bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Excellent Program
    - 12/29/2017
    Tristine • Student

I'm going on my 6th week and I have nothing to complain about other than being forced out of my comfort zone (not a bad thing). Before Bloc, I've tried learning on my own with Udemy courses and other resources. It was not my best way of learning. After careful evaluation, I decided to invest myself in Bloc Design program. It was a hard decision since I just graduated college and don't have money laying around.

This program worth every penny. I love how the course is designed. Contents are not overwhelming. I feel like I'm reading an article rather than textbooks. The program entails mostly on doing assignments and projects, which is a great way for me to apply what I learned.

But the most important part is that Bloc gets me out of my comfort zone. There's a Slack community where mentors are online every single day to answer questions. Even the program director is online to help as a guide rather than as a director himself. Everyone is very approachable. It's encouraging to engage to help others with their assignments, like participating in surveys, usability tests, preference tests, etc.

I also have a meeting with my mentor every week. We talk about future assignments, reflect on old ones, and explain my reasoning for approaching problems. This helps tremendously to become a UI/UX designer as I'm not very skilled at explaining things.

Overall, Bloc Design program helps me grow into a professional while sharpening skills I lack. I learned so much in such short amount of time. I'm excited to finish this program and start my journey as a Designer.

• Design student
    - 12/29/2017
    YJ • Academic advisor • Student

So far I have been in the Designer track for about 8 weeks. The program is great! The materials a clearly presented and there is always a mentor available to help with questions. It’s still a bit early in the program to talk about more detail but I would totally recommend it.

• Teara • Student

Before getting into my review, I'd like to inform you that I was enrolled in another coding bootcamp February-August. I was very frustrated because I just wasn't grasping the thought-process and problem-solving technique of a developer.

Fast-forward to October 2017 when I enrolled in the Bloc Part-Time Web Developer Track - I've learned so much in 8 weeks and I feel confident in my coding abilities. My two mentors so far are very helpful and want to make sure that I understand before adding more material. I am really enjoy it and I'm starting my portfolio and career search. The cirriculum is comprehensive and thorough - that's beneficial to anyone with little or no coding experience.

• Cheney Shreve • Student

I'm starting with week 7 of Bloc's software developer track and I couldn't be more happy with my choice! Coding has been an interest of mine since I got my first exposure to programming during my doctoral degree in environmental sciences. Having spent time as a university educator, I have specific criteria in mind regarding an educational setting. I was accepted into several bootcamps and decided on Bloc for several key reasons: the mentoring, the strong emphasis on software engineering principles in the curriculum, multiple projects to showcase in your portfolio, the open source apprenticeship, and the career support. Where some schools have you submit coding exercises in a Test Driven Development (or TDD) setup, your code at Bloc is reviewed by your mentor. TDD is a great thing to learn (I'm certainly not knocking it) and we also get exposure to TDD at Bloc. However, I like knowing that my mentor looks at my code personally because TDD won't tell you if your code is DRY, if you're following other good practices in programming, or teach you about the readability of your code. I also appreciate that Bloc has you getting started with command line, Atom, Chrome Dev tools and other tools that you'll use as a developer from day one. Instead of pre-recorded lectures, your education is self-guided. You read through assignments, ask questions to your peers over Slack if you get stuck and discuss it in greater detail with your mentor during your weekly meetings. To me, this better prepares you for the work environment. This is not to say that there are not also videos and supporting reading materials in the curriculum, but that it's more of a self-guided approach to problem solving. I also like the flexibility of working remotely. There were other bootcamps that I could have attended in person or online, but Bloc's curriculum, one-to-one mentoring, and option to work from home made it the ideal fit for me. Additionally, Bloc's money back guarentee if you don't get a job after graduating signals its commitment to students and confidence in its program. So far my experience with my mentor has been fabulous! She is an amazing educator and really knows her stuff! Bloc staff are friendly and responsive.

If you are just starting out the search for a bootcamp my advice is to really think about your learning style and what school can help you achieve your goals. There are several good schools out there and everyone is different. Google the "VARK" learning styles if you don't know your learning style. Good luck, you're going to have fun and be glad you took this step!

• Web Developer Track
    - 12/16/2017
    Julius • Student

I have been enrolled at Bloc for one month. The school provides you with the tools and resources to connect with peers & alumni. I liked the option of picking a mentor that will help me achieve success. I have no doubt that the school will prepare you for a career in one of the fields in their selected tracks. The work is challenging!

• John K. • Student

I have been part of Bloc's software develepor track for two months now, and I've learned so much! The cirruculum is clear and focused and appropriately challenging. As soon as I grasp one concept I'm on to the next one, expanding my skills at a steady rate. Whenever I have trouble, I have a mentor who is very responsive. He gives me quality feedback without making a challenge too easy - just enough of a hint to progress while maintaining a sense of self-accomplishment in finding a solution. Even when my mentor is unavailable to answer a question (he doesn't work 24 hours a day) I have access to my peers and other mentors. Someone is always ready to assist. Another huge benefit of Bloc is its career services. I won't complete the program for sometime, but I'm already preparing for my job search and engaging in mock interviews based on what I've learned so far. This prep is invaluable! I'll update this review later on, though for now I feel confident that not only will I aquire the skills to be a talented developer, but I will also have the wherewithal to find a job soon after I graduate.

• Great experience!
    - 12/6/2017
    Melissa

I have been at Bloc for a little over 1 Month. So far I find that it has been really rewarding. Not only am I learning fast and amazed at what I can do already but I am also being challenged everyday. I Would say it's a very tough program, with that being said you will will get a rewarding sensation everytime you complete a checkpoint.

• 1 Month Later
    - 11/19/2017
    Logan • Student

I always knew this was the career path that was right for me and when I was at college I was taking these types of classes but also all the other classes that would have no impact on my future or what I want to be when I enter the work world. I came across Bloc on countless of review websites and immediately knew it was right for me. Bloc is amazing. The mentors are always there to answer any questions that you have and when you have your meetings they go into detail of any questions you have on what you are doing to whatever part of programming that you are not learning. The community on Slack is awesome and will help you if you do not want to keep bothering your mentor with questions. I am currently in the Software Developer Track and I love the curriculum, I love the freedom, and I just love I made the right choice by choosing Bloc.

• Devon Burley

I have been about one month into the web developer track and the experience so far has been the best. The mentorship is by far my favorite thing about Bloc. When you are confused and second guessing yourself, your mentor is there to answer all questions you have. This is something that learning by yourself just cannot provide for you. The checkpoints and assignments are fun and challenging. The Bloc slack community always has interesting links for you to read. I would definitely recommend Bloc to others.

• John P Que • Engineer Drafter • Student

"Design, build, debug and maintain web applications. Additionally, architect databases, improve performance using algorithms, modify extensive code bases, and solve complex problems." Bloc Webpage.

I am in the second phase of my course and loving it. Bloc has been super responive and the material engaging. I have been finding it a great balance of difficult and career driven. The onboarding and quick responses are very profesional and helpful. I have been finding the mentors willing to go above and beyond what my expectations were for helping when I get stuck, suggesting different resources and being realistic.

• My Journey
    - 11/7/2017
    Will Larry • Student

I've been a part of Bloc's Software Development track for about a year now. I've always had a heart for computers, but I never had an opportunity to chase that dream. This was the first time that I was presented with the opportunity to dive into the Tech field.

At first, I was extremely skeptical. Bloc claimed that they could take me (someone who has never coded before) and take me on the path to building fully functional websites. Not only did they claim this, they guaranteed it. I can honestly say that I have a lot to learn, but I am excited with where I am for now.

Lastly, Bloc's program is heavily dependent on mentors. They give the students the freedom to choose their mentor that they would like to work with. I really enjoyed having someone to help me answer my questions and pair program with. This was the best method for me which may not be the best for everyone. My first mentor was not a good fit for me so I asked to be reassigned to another mentor. Bloc took care of this with no problem. I've had two mentors since then and they are amazing. I would recommend Wilson (Web Development Section) and Shannon (Software Development Section) without hesitation.

• JacquettaB • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Part-time Web Developer Track. This month will be 2 months since I started. I picked Bloc because there program provided many benefits such as one on one mentor meetings, option of F/T or P/T track, practice and quizzes to help student understand concepts of programming language.

What mainly attracted me to block is having a mentor that can help me when I don't understand a concept. The mentor I have right now is Carrie who is helpful and breaks coding problems down and makes it easier for me to get it.

Bloc curriculum makes me stay on track and gives me the motivation to keep going even when I feel stuck or uncertain. I would definetly recommend Bloc to others.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here