bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Thomas • Product Designer • Graduate

Bloc was essential to my transition from law to Product Design. The program matches you with a mentor and this feature alone makes it all worth while. I met with my mentor twice a week over the course of 5 months. It was a big transition for me and more than once I felt too discouraged to continue, but my mentor kept me going. 2 months after graduation I accepted a position as a Product Designer. Couldn't have done it without Bloc.

• Erika • founder • Graduate

Having been through a previous coding bootcamp that charged and arm and a leg to find my first taste of the darker side of the tech world, I went to Bloc because it provided a means to learn more than just code in a way where the typical brogrammer mentality didn't exist. I found dedicated , with years of experience under their belt mentors that helped shape what the real world was looking for. I took the Design track so it included three months of full time UX work and 3 months of full time Front End Development. My UX portion was invaluable. I was mentored by someone that I have major respect for, for his tactful techniques of guiding me away from disaster into things that were not only aesthetically pleasing but intelligent in their design.  I was pleased with my front end course because my mentor let me blaze some new trails doing projects that spoke to me instead of making me stay on a strict track. For that I am eternally greatful because it allowed me to find the fun in code. All in all , there were some minor blips but when aren't there in anything i would give this my full reccommendation for someone that doesn't have the money for a bootcamp or likes to learn in a different way than the typical programming camp does. Their capstone projects also led me into being accepted at an accelorator and starting my own company.

• Dan • Student

I took Bloc because I wanted to develop my technical vocabularly with one-on-one guidance from a mentor.

My mentor was knowledgeable, dilligent, and genuinely invested in my success. He responded well to feedback and helped me address numerous pain points. More than teach me the nuances of code, he helped coach me to think like a developer.

The curriculum is an excellent primer for beginners, though it can lack depth. Checkpoints and assignments in the foundation section can be easy to plow through if you're at all familair with HTML/CSS/JS. The real meat of the course is the projects/capstones part of the course, which I thought was great for its flexibility.

At the end of the day - like most bootcamps - you get out what you put in. Committment can be the hardest part, but if you're dedicated and willing to learn, Bloc is a great resource for learning to code on your own time.

• Nicole Johnson • Owner

I was very pleased with my UX experience because I was making a major career change (from manufacturing/quality to UX design) and have been self taught up until joining the Bloc program. I wanted an experience that would give me some technical skills as well as provide me some personal 1x1 feedback. The curriculum and mentoring experience has done just that. I have a great mentor and we stay connected while I continue to build my business. She offers valuable and honest feedback on how well I'm doing and where I can improve. I received a tuition reimbursement for this course which fit perfectly in the price range of the UX design course so I can't recommend Bloc enough for those who are trying to get started in this industry. Since I'm not quite finished yet, I will have to see how the portfolio and job search components are, but so far, I'm very pleased.

• Matt • Graduate

I completed both the UX and Front End Development courses and really enjoyed my time. I learned a ton and feel like I now have the skills to pursue my dream. The instructors (mentors) were personally invested in my success and the curriculum was all very current and I could tailor it to what I wanted to learn.

• Love the UX course
    A. H. • Student

I chose Bloc for a few reasons:

• It was one of the few places the offered a UX course
    • It had mentoring
    • ... and I wouldn't have to quit my day job to attend.

I'm really happy with my mentor and with the course offerings, though I feel that if I hadn't already had a design background I'd be a little lost.

• Brian • Graduate

I love the Bloc Frontend Wed Dev curriculum and method of educating and training. More than just learning syntax and negotiating tutorials, Bloc gives you the opportunity to apply what you've learned into real world applications built using the tools that develpers utitlize daily. Having a real world, experienced Mentor that works with you pair-programming is beyond valuable in picking up best methods for conceptualizing and actualizing your application builds. Being completely green to programming, I was intitially intimidated until I got into the program and realized that having questions is commonplace and encouraged and is ultimately, the key to learning development. Bloc has great resources to take advantage of with the Bloc Student's Slack channel and the Bloc Hacker Club too. I learned a lot at Bloc and , most importantly, I learned how best to learn development at Bloc.

• UX Design Review
    Daniel Johnson • Programmer/Analyst • Student

I would recommend this UX Design mentor led course to anyone.  I have been a software developer for many years and yet, this course has helped me to become more relevant in my job bringing in the latest UX UI techniques.  The mentor was very helpful guiding me through the projects.  I have no job hunting in my future but can see how this would help in the job market.

• UX Design Course
    - 4/28/2016

I'm extremely impressed by how current Bloc's curriculum is. I also love how the course builds a slow and steady foundation, breaking every step in the process of designing and coding a web product into bite-size, easily digestible pieces. I think the method of teaching in the foundation course is perfect as you don't have to make a ton of decisions but focus on learning as many new skills as possible (ranging from software, coding to processes). I think that's a great approach, because a lot of designers tend to cripple themselves very early on, bogged down by needing to make multiple decisions, and Bloc solves that problem. It makes it easy to keep moving forward. Also, the mentors here are SUPERLATIVE. They are extremely well-rounded and great at helping you sort through ideas, framing problems and explaining things to you. I can't say enough good things about my mentor. He's been awesome.

• Ingrid • UX Designer • Graduate

I joined Bloc back in April of 2015, before the Full Stack Web Designer track went down for awhile and came back as Full Stack Product Designer track.

I decided to join Bloc as a way to completely change careers, and as a replacement for attending an in-person bootcamp. While I was living in Chicago, I had applied to and been accepted by General Assembly for the Full Stack Developer course. However, before I could start that course, my boyfriend and I moved to Japan. We moved because we acceoted a one-year teaching contract near Tokyo, and I decided that during that year, I would work as hard as I could to gain the skills in order to start a new career once the contract ended.

Before joining Bloc I did a lot of research on different online bootcamps and free courses. I am a highly motivated person, so at first I thought free courses or monthly subscriptions would work well for me. However, I am completely new to the tech field, and I read about how hard it was to work at something without a more experienced person at your side giving you feedback. That's what appealed to me about Bloc. Working one-on-one with a mentor, getting feedback on my designs, and pair coding (when I was in the frontend course) really helped me grow, stay motivated, and feel more accountable for my work.

I am now finished with the program (a few weeks ago) and have already snagged myself some in-house freelance UX design work. For someone who was not previously in the industry, my effort and experience with Bloc was enough to get people to notice me and consider what I've done valid! I really owe it to Bloc for helping me start new CAREER and not just help me get my next job (which is what I've been doing for the past five years).

My only criticism is the lack of real, tangible, products to show potential employers. In all of the interviews I've had for full-time positions, the main criticism I've walked away with is that I don't have enough experience with designing real products. A portfolio full of beautiful (fake) projects is nice, but if future employers can't google even one real-life example, it really kills your chances at succeeding in the interview.

• Design
    - 4/27/2016
    Toby • Graduate

I went into Bloc's UX/UI track with no design experience at all. After finishing the course I can honestly say I am confident in my abilities as a Designer. Bloc teaches you the fundamentals in their curriculum phase, but the student gets to enhance the experience with his/her selected mentor. Not only will you come out of this course with good design sense, but you'll also increase your HTML/CSS and JS skills. Other UX courses out there focus on only one or a few aspects of design, but Bloc hits on all of them: research, UX, interaction, prototyping, and development. You can find a lot of design bootcamps that guide their students to building a portfolio through a website builder only. At Bloc you'll be given that option, but you'll also be pushed and challenged to design and develop your own portfolio from scratch. So basically if you put the time in you can be skilled enough to be on your way to becoming a Full-Stack Designer.

• Design Track
    - 4/26/2016
    Alex • UX Designer • Graduate

I would like to start out by saying that I had no prior design or coding knowledge before attending Bloc. I can say without a doubt that attending Bloc has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I wanted to make the transition into design and web development, but I didn't want to travel to go to a bootcamp. I did some research and decided to attend Bloc. The mentors I had were above my expectations they knew their stuff. I could see myself over the months start to think like a ux designer. I made amazing projects with feedback from my mentors and I made a portfolio. Which I'm proud to say landed me a full time job as a UX Designer. I would reccomend this to anyone who wants to make a career change. It has been one of the best decisions of my life.

• Becoming a Bloc'er
    - 4/26/2016
    Derrick Morton • UI Developer • Student

I joined Bloc, in October of last year; I did a lot of research on coding bootcamps before choosing Bloc (General Assembly, Hack Reactor, Coding Dojo, Iron Yard, Fullstack Academy, Flatiron School and Thinkful) just to name a few. The main reason I joined Bloc was the fact that you are allowed to work with a mentor, I really needed that one-on-one time bouncing ideas off of a more experience developer as well a venting my frustrations to. They are also super helpful, caring about you and they want you to succeed. I also needed a program that was flexible, online or had to be local to where I was (Atlanta).

I was already in the industry before I joined Bloc. I started out as a graphic designer in college and slowly moved into the web. I was able to quickly pick up CSS and HTML but struggled a lot with learning the programming dynamic with JavaScript, It was always my Achilles heel in job interviews.

Now that I am nearly finished with my program, I can say that I have a lot more confidence when I am writing code than what I used to have. I believe in my new abilities to research and find an answer to a complicated programming issue that I (and you) will undoubtedly encounter, which I find much more valuable. Everything you need to succeed in this program, you already have within you and that is the desire to learn. Just like taking on anything new in life whether that be playing an instrument or going to the gym and getting in shape, the best way to achieve your goals and get better at it is constant repetition and consistency.

I enjoyed this program so much that I will be looking to join the Software Engineering program once I've completed my current Frontend program.

• Bloc so far
    - 4/25/2016
    Carlos

I started at Bloc about 3 months ago, and I have to say that it is a very challenging course.

Your life as a developer won't be easy, so your commitment building habits and daily routines is the most important difference between a good outcome and a bad one.

I personally felt discouraged and lost more than once, coming from a completely different background, and while having a daily job that more than often changes my working hours and weekly days last minute.

Even so, the team has been open to any request, allowing me to extend my course and spread it more in time; my mentor is tough and prepared, and so far he is a good fit for me.

The course, as I said, is challenging; but it is well explained and prepares you for your life on your own in this field.

Just this: don't expect a team of distant people that will not be there. I can message my mentor at any time, and have a skype session with my student advisor if I need to.

I cannot speak for the job assistance so far, but I will update my review as soon as I get to build my portfolio and deal with the career prep team.

I live in a middle eastern country and I could adjust my mentor sessions according to my timezone.

Kind and passionate people.

I recommend it.

PS

Might have some grammar mistakes as I am Italian, hope you get the point tho :)

• Bloc == Hope
    - 4/23/2016
    Stephen W. • Student

I am currently enrolled in the 72-week part-time Software Engineering Track and love it! My background is a business degree and experience in banking and insurance so needless to say... Coding is completely new to me. I started with working through some Codecademy courses to see if I liked it and then decided to get serious and that is when I started to consider a bootcamp. Unfortunately I have financial commitments, a life to live and just can't quit to go somewhere for an intensive course like that... and I'm very glad I couldn't because that led me to Bloc.io

The program itself allows me the flexibility to make this big change in life but at my own pace, on my own terms. And through the Software Engineering Track specifically, I can make this change in more depth than some bootcamp would. In short, this program gave me hope that I can find a new career and get out of my current situation through hard work and their help. The curriculum is excellent, my mentor is knowledgeable and personable and I couldn't be happier with both. And on top of that, the customer service has been top-notch. Any minor issues have been quickly and professionally resolved.

In the program you work through foundation courses and then move on to a pre-set project list you can choose two from or even work on your own idea for a capstone project if you want. Once that has been completed you have career-prep work and can build a portfolio. Overall it is a very comprehensive system and I would recommend it to anyone interested.

• David Forero • Student • Student

I have been enrolled for over 3 months in the software engineer program at bloc. Awesome learning expirience with my mentor. I have learned so much in so little time. Definitely recommend it.

• Bloc is AWESOME!
    Jason Divosevic • Student

I am currently a student enrolled in Bloc's 48-week, full-time Software Engineering track and 8 weeks in at the time of this review.

When I decided to pursue a career shift into software development I did extensive research on both local and online bootcamps before deciding to enroll with Bloc and have been more than pleased with my selection.

The Bloc experience has been exactly what I hoped and expected it would be. The curriculum starts out quick and introduces you to tons of awesome information which initially I found overwhelming, but by week 3 I started to feel some comfort. Assignments are fun and challenging.

My favorite part about Bloc is having a mentor to guide me through the progam. Bloc has an amazing group of mentors that you get to choose from. My mentor and I have three scheduled calls a week where we discuss current course work, industry related topics and sometimes just life in general. Between calls my mentor is always there for me should I feel stuck or overwhelmed and we comminucate frequently via email, IM and screen sharing.

I've signed up to Blocs new software engineering program, just completed the rails portion of the program and found that it has given me a good foundation to explore the more complex problems i wish to solve.

I went into this program with 0 knowledge or experience with ruby on rails, i have dabbled in html, css and javascript. I found the experience quite challenging, but whenever you get stuck you have a community on slack and your mentor to get you through them.

It is an amazing program and good place to learn the foundations of programming but you have to put in the hard work.

• One of a kind.
    Tomasz S. • Student

I'm currently a student about two months into the Software Engineering track. I've limited prior knowledge of the material. BASIC and Codeacademy was mainly the past experience. I picked this program after reading many reviews of all the new boot camp schools. Doing the 3 month, 100 hours a week program was not for me. Plus, most of those are only in the big cities around the country. Online suits me better as I live about  an hour away from NYC. This does cost more and takes more time but it dives deeper into the ever changing demands in the workplace of software enginnering. The advisor is there to help but not to do your work. He will help you, motivate you and show you ways of solving complex problems. You must have self discipline and great time management skills to be successful. The program is designed from scratch, not pulled from another site. The satisfaction comes and confidence builds slowly but the progress is definately visible only after a short time. This is not easy and not for everybody. It will get frustrating but debugging is part of life. Too early to rate the Job Assistance part. Time to code.

• Great!
    Estefania Flores • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Software Engineering track and loving it. I was skeptical when I first enrolled because I usually stay away from any online courses or classes; I don't usually do so well in them. I chose the Software Engineering track because I wanted to have a well rounded knowledge so, when I do go out and find a job I am well versed in all things tech.

I went into this program with little to no knowledge in this subject and now when I hear myself conversing with other people and using the jargon I realize just how much I have learned in only three and a half months.

Like I said in the beginning, I am not one to take online courses but, because I have a mentor to reiterate what I had just learned in the checkpoint, I am learning a lot. My mentor really helps me understand. He draws out diagrams with me and quizzes me sporatically to reinforce what I learned and make sure I know what I am doing.
    I have been very lucky to have picked a mentor that works for me but, if one does end up with a mentor you don't like, you have the opportunity to switch mentors discretely.

The cirriculum is set up in checkpoints and assignments. They both range in difficulty, some are harder then others and some are easier.

With that said, I would recommend Bloc to everyone wanting to learn how to code and later get a tech job. Honestly, I love writing something and then being able to see what I did and how it works. I am really happy with what I have learned and excited to learn more!

• Brian • Graduate

Prior too my bootcamp experience with Bloc, I had no idea how to code or build web applications. Just a dream pursuing a career as a web developer and working with some great people.

Overall the curriculum is very thorough and well written. In addition to having a great curriculum, they are really good about making sure their content is up to date. As a Blocster you'll always have access to your materials and the updates they provide.

One of the best parts about my experience with Bloc was working with my mentor on the Frontend portion of the track. My only wish is that our sessions were a bit longer.

If you are interested in learning web development Bloc is a a great online bootcamp and very resonably priced.

I'm currently in the process of refining my portfolio and hoping to land my first job as a developer very soon. It's been a tough journey so far!

• UX/UI Design
    - 3/15/2016
    Jennifer Slayton • Visual Designer • Graduate

I enrolled in Bloc's UX/UI Design course a little less than 2 years ago. I was formerly a teacher with no technical or design skills whatsoever. The curriculum was thoroughly written and as a former teacher, this was greatly appreciated. I love even more that it has been updated and I now have access to the new curriculum. The relationship I gained with my mentor is priceless. He walked me through each checkpoint with such grace and encouragement. My mentor also provided honest feedback in order for me to grow as a designer. He asked open-ended questions that would cause critical thinking. I believe this course prepared me for what is expected in the "real" design world. Upon completion, I have been able to freelance consistently from home, which is exactly what I wanted to do. I have recently obtained a full-time contract position with a well-known software company. I am still able to work from home, but I get to interact with an incredible design team and get experience with working within a corporate setting. I owe all my skills and knowledge to Bloc.

• Anna • Graduate

Bloc is an amazing program and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to delve deeper into the world of coding.

I became interested in development because I have an entreprenuerial streak and wanted to learn how to build out some of my own ideas. Bloc has provided me with the skills to do just that.

Furthermore - I am going through the job-prep phase now and I am confident that this will further prepare me for finding work as a developer.

The recommend Bloc for the following reasons -

1. Mentors - Bloc has amazing mentors - and I absolutely loved working with mine. The fact that you are assigned a single mentor - and they work with you one-on-one really allows them to cater to your learning style and customize the material so that it is presented in a way that is clear for you. Their mentors are very high quality, and my Mentor, Chris, was beyond helpful.

Furthermore - for anyone who has learned on their own and spent copious amounts of time banging their head against the wall - the mentor is there to make sure you do not get stuck and can progress forward. Having this help and not having to waste time was invaluable to me.

2. Curriculum - The curriculum itself is great and I liked the way it was strucutred. It allowed for more hand holding at the beginning and then worked its way to more freedom towards the end. The fact that you are able to build several applications by yourself throughout the course - allows you to see the progression of your own skills as you move thorugh the curriculum.

3. Cost and accountabtiliy - I wanted a program that would hold me accountable and push me - but also one I could afford. Bloc is much less expensive than the other bootcamps so I could actually afford it. Furthermore - it created a framework where between the curriculum and the Mentor - I was able to hold myself accountable and push myself.

Again, I would highly recommend Bloc - it is a great investment in ones' skillset -but like anything else - you get out of it what you put into it. So if you are willing to work hard, Bloc will help you leverage that effort to get you to where you want to go.

• Change Your Life
    - 3/3/2016
    Lauralee • Graduate

I honestly feel like Bloc has the potential to change your life.  In many ways it has changed mine and the best part is that it will continue to.

If I wanted to find a job as a developer I'm confident I could find one - especially if I'm willing to relocate.  I am an entrepreneur and wanted to learn enough to be able to create my business ideas.  What I learned in Bloc has given me power to make my ideas become a reality.

I chose Bloc for three reasons.

1. The first was it was online.  I simply couldn't relocate and I needed something flexible.
    2. Even though it was online I wanted something intense, something that pushed me, something comparable to an at-location bootcamp. I was so impressed with Bloc in this aspect. The first few weeks are very guided and directed and not that difficult. Slowly it becomes more challenging until you get out of the guided work and you begin building apps on your own with the help of your mentor.  There is flexibility here so for the person who finds this in and of itself challenging gets the challenge but for others who want to do more I was able to work with my mentor and do more advanced work. I loved that customization for me.
    3. The leads me to the third reason I chose Bloc. The mentors. This is the heart of Bloc and what makes it stand out. I met with my mentor three times a week!  When I originally signed up I didn't realize it would be so often. I got to work with him on my capstone project which is a business idea I wanted to create. It was amazing to work together with my mentor to create a business.  Just this was worth it for me.

I now have skills and knowledge I didn't have before. I am better. I have more potential. I couldn't put a price tag on this. Invest in yourself. But, that's just my opinion.

• Just landed job
    - 3/2/2016
    Alex • Graduate

I just landed a job after graduating from Bloc. Feel free to read an interview about my Bloc experience here - http://blog.bloc.io/full-stack-grad-lands-job-at-adfitech/

highlights - I had been in the IT field for a while, and wanted to learn Ruby on Rails. I liked the curriculum, I really enjoyed working with my mentor Ryan, and I liked the flexibility / accountability balance.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates