bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Great Program!
    - 2/23/2018
    Zoe Woodward • Web Developer • Student

I'm 5 weeks into the Bloc Web Developer Track, and so far, I love it!

The curiculum seems up to date, and thorough, and the community support is amazing.

The staff seem to be genuinely interested in the success of the students. I can't say whether or not I was able to get a job from what I have learned yet, because I still have a few months to go, but I am finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere.

I would definitely recommend Bloc to any family or friends.

• Tony C • Student

I've been a new student into the tech design world as I was looking at a plan B career or even possibly a new plan A career once the course is finished. So far, Bloc has provided so many useful tools and resources to help get you through each section with full confidence. They just added student design discussions webinars that you can attend weekly that goes over some checkpoints in the track to give you more insight of how to go about that certain project/checkpoint. Overall I would definately recommened Bloc and I can't wait to see what happens when I finish the program!

• True Beginner
    - 2/10/2018
    Ashley Miller • Student

I started the Bloc Design Track a few months ago and am incredibly satisfied. I currently work full time job and a part time job and the slowest track is definitely a manageable option. I was worried that the program would be too hard considering my background is in teaching and I have NO design or coding experience.

The information is delivered in a straightforward way and progresses logically. The exercises are al hands on explorations of the skills you just learned and focus on real UX design challenges. They are a good mix of challenging yet doable.

The best part if the amount of support I get. I have a great mentor- she always shares best practices from someone actually working in the field. Her feedback always pushes me to the next level (without making me feel overwhelmed.) In addition to that we have access to a whole network of professionals, mentors and other students on Slack. If you have a specific question it is answered within the hour, often minutes, by a mentor. Students share their work for feedback and there are always great resources being posted. There are now also daily live critiques on zoom and optional live group lectures. I haven't had a chance to jump into these yet but I am excited about the prospect.

I would definitely reccommend this to anyone working full time who is looking to change their career. It is also one of the only programs out there that offers an affordable repayment plan.

• Tyler • Student

I'm about 5 weeks into Bloc's 24 week design track, and am really satisfied with the program. My mentor has been great, and is always giving me feedback as to how my projects would be treated "in the real world," which means I'm already being prepped for the job search. She asks me questions about my projects as if we were in an interview, which again is very helpful for job search prep.

Bloc has lived up to all of the rave reviews I read here before selecting a bootcamp. The student success team is great and always has a solution. The curriculum allows you to learn quickly, but is also the right amount of challenging. Bloc recently implemented a new system where your projects are reviewed by multiple mentors instead of just one, so you receive a wide variety of experienced perspectives, which is crucial for growth.

Right now I'm in the middle of frontend fundamentals, which based on my research with the UX / Design job market, makes Bloc design grads more competitive. This was also a key reason for choosing Bloc - I didn't see a lot of other design programs that had the intensive frontend component.

• Kaya • Student

I’m doing the web developer track at Bloc and my first month has been an awesome experience. I like that it’s self paced and I get to make my own schedule. It’s challenging but they have mentors available everyday to help answer questions. My personal mentor Jacob is the best. He patiently answers all of my questions and helps me get through any kinks in my code. They also have group discussions you can sign up for that’s related to your course. Signing up for Bloc has best the best personal decision I’ve ever made and I’m confident that I’ll be job ready when I graduate!

• Laura Zaim • Venture Partner • Student

This was my first time taking an online course, and I was worried that I wouldn't get as much out of it or wouldn't be able to connect with my peers. Plus, I'm working full time while going through this course, so I was worried about flexibility and falling behind. But at Bloc, that's not the case. The 1 on 1 mentor system is critical. My mentor is great, keeps me on track, answers my questions, and gives me real life advice about the career trajectory I'm looking to get on.

In addition, Bloc is continuosly improving their offerings to make it easier to connect with other students and get feedback from multiple mentors. The slack community is very active, they've just implemented group video chats open to all and focused on specific topis like design critiques, UX, Front-end dev fundamentals, etc and switched up the grading system so that you get feedback from various experts and not just your mentor.

The curriculum is solid and the courses are easy to understand, but challenging to complete. I'm thankful to have a mentor and slack community of other students to get me through the tough parts. Overall, I highly recommend Bloc. It may be on the expensive side for an online bootcamp, but you get what you pay for, with the added flexibility of being able to take these courses from home or on the road.

• Raven Best • Academic Program Specialist • Student

I've been in the UX Design program with Bloc for over a month  now and honestly, I'ved never been so motivated to learn. The content is broken down into checkpoints and after each reading you complete an exercise to practice what you've just learned. For those who are visual/kinetic learners, this is the BEST way to absorb new material. You can work at your own pace and they give you plenty of resources if you need help. Besides tutorials built into the checkpoints, you have a personal mentor, grading team and a slack channel all dedicated to helping you do your best work. After investing so much time and money into college, I was devastated when I couldn't get a position in my field. But with bloc, you learn content that is relevant to the design field right now and I'm confident that I will get a design job when I finish, if not before. If you're struggling with your career and what to do next, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the different programs with Bloc. I would've skipped college altogether if I had learned about Bloc sooner.

• Designer Track
    - 1/31/2018
    Denny S • Student

I started the Bloc Designer Track in December 2017. I decided to quit my previous job and make a career change. I did some coding on my own but I would classify myself as a complete beginner. Bloc has been an awesome learning experience. I decided on the Designer Track because it is a mix of User Experience, Visual Design and Frontend Basics.

The curriculum is set up great in my opinion. Bloc gives you the resources but they also make you work to find some more answers and complete projects. I like the online aspect because for me I pick up some skills quickly and others I need more practice on (like Javascript). I have had awesome mentors who give you valuable feedback throughout your time at Bloc. They are constantly upgrading the curriculum and adding to it.

I am about 30% into my program and they are already preparing me to start my job search. The support is awesome and I would highly recommend the program to anyone looking for a career change or advancement.

• Felicia María Betancourt • freelancer • Student

When I decided last year that it was time to double down and enroll in a coding program to level up my web development skills, I looked into a number of schools. I do not recall any other program offering a part-time track that would allow me to keep my current gig. I know it's not important for everyone, but I absolutely do not have time to stop everything in my life for several months, as many bootcamps demand. So, for me, the availability of a part-time track was the stand-out feature, and the single most important reason I ultimately chose them.

That being said, there are plenty of other reasons I've come to deeply appreciate how Bloc works, now that I'm 8 weeks into their Web Developer track. The fact that Bloc's programs are based on mentorship is absolutely crucial to the success I'm having, and brings home the importance of personal relationships to the profession of web development. I feel that too many bootcamps promote the "lone genius" stereotype, and it's refreshing to see networking and emotional intelligence given their due. Also, the mentor helps you keep pace. Some online coding schools are entirely free-form, and let you work at your own pace. If you're like me, that could mean putting off assignments...forever! Knowing that I will see my mentor on a regular basis, once a week, helps keep me honest.

Another benefit of Bloc's mentorship model is that it is failure-positive and non-shaming. It's great to learn that failure as a coder or designer is simply unavoidable, and that it's not the end of your world if you need to reach out for help.

If you sign up for Bloc's web developer track, as I did, you may be pleasantly surprised that you can learn a React/Node stack as well as Angular/Rails. This is a relatively recent development, and not all of their branding material makes this clear. I am just getting started in React, and couldn't be more delighted about it! In a similar vein, expect to learn to use up-to-date tools, like git and Atom, that are used in real world workplaces.

Finally, they're serious about helping you find a job. Basically, there are assignments that force you to identify potential employers and to reach out to them. This is just what I needed to get over thinking "they'll never hire me".

Oh, one more thing: financing is flexible. Love that!!!

• Rashel • Student

I researched the best UX design courses for weeks before deciding on Bloc and I honestly think it was the best decision I've made in a very long time. It's been six weeks since I began the Bloc design track and I'm very satisfied with the program so far. After being a digital marketer for a couple years, I decided to transition into learning everything within design, specifically within user experience design. The program supplies each student with a plethora of resources to learn about each aspect of the design world. From mentor meetings to tons of supplementary links to step-by-step video tutorials, Bloc arms you with the knowledge you'll need for the real world.

The one-on-one mentor meetings are incrediby helpful and thorough. Be ready to have your work critiqued and undergo several iterations before turning in the final submission. You'll also need to utilize outside help like the Bloc community Slack channel and the internet to get through some checkpoint assignments, but it's all a great learning experience and the Slack channel helps you build a pretty good network of people who are all in the same industry. At the end of the day though, it's those "stuck" moments, mentor critique feedback, and iterations that teach you the most about each assignment/checkpoint, so I honestly welcome them with open arms. Very happy with my mentor Angie Ellis who is an incredible teacher and very knowledgeable about all the subjects we've reviewed so far.

I'm currently on the 25-30 hour per week track and I'd say I'm putting in 35+ hours per week. It's definitely not a breeze. You need to put a lot of work into it, and if you take learning slowly like me, you'll want to devote more time. Regardless, in general, I'm very happy with the amount of material I've learned so far even though I've only gone through the UX and Visual Design fundamentals portion of the course. It's all about the journey though! Very excited to see what else is in store for the remainder of the course.

• Designer Track
    - 1/14/2018
    Kat Clave • Student

I have completed about a quarter of the program so far, and so far I have learned a lot more than I was expecting. I think the most important thing to be aware of right away is that Bloc is challenging. There has been times when I wanted to punch my laptop screen repeatedly. But Bloc is also very much as rewarding as it is challenging. After all, there is a demand for the kinds of skills that Bloc teaches.

I did alot of research on other online bootcamps, but I was sold on Bloc because of it's well-rounded curriculum; The Designer Track focuses not only on design, but front-end development as well. This understanding of development will totally leverage your knowledge on collaborating with developers and understanding the process. The Designer Track provides structure to the projects as if you were dealing with client work, which ultimately leads to a polished portfolio piece. From understanding user experience, to implementing design, and finally development, you have insight of every part of a project.

The one-on-one mentorship is very essential in a challenging program. A huge advantage of personal mentorship is the accountability. My mentor is aware of my career goals and my desired outcome of Bloc, and he leverages my learning to accomodate that. I respect and trust his feedback and advice as he is a working designer in the field.

Overall, Bloc is awesome. It has taught me how to be discipline and consistent and especially how to learn. And it accomodates to a busy adult wanting a career change.

• Bob-e • Digital Marketing • Graduate

Hi,

I started looking into a bootcamp style online web class after I wasn't feeling challenged enough at my current job. Though what I do now is related to the web, it only approached it from a marketing perspective. I'm about half way through the Bloc course now and I am loving it!

It does a great job at starting out slow, building the fundementals, but then once you are comfortable, it really kicks it up, and you start coding awesome projects that always tie to real-world use cases.

If you are thinking about doing an online web dev course, and you want to leave each lesson feeling accomplished, Bloc is for you! Though there have been times I wanted to rip the computer off the table and chuck it across the room, my mentor and the team has always been there to support me and turn those moments into learning experiences.

Would recommend: 10/10

Thanks,
    Bobby

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here