bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Cherie M • Marketing Director • Student

I've been in the Bloc Designer Program for a little over a month now and have truly enjoyed every minute of it. The program challenges me on many levels while learning from those around me, through students, mentors and advisors. You really feel a sense of accomplish after going through each checkpoint and those checkpoints then carry you on each step to build those skills, understanding of design, prepare you for the future and provide you with opportunities beyond and give you the confidence. Love my mentor she is absolutely great and has helped me from day 1, we meet weekly. Great people here, highly recommend this program at any stage in your career.

• Excellent Program!
    - 3/28/2018
    Garrett • Salesforce Administrator • Student

I am currently finishing the Bloc Web Development track this week.

My experience through the entire program has been extremely positive, and I will say up front that Bloc's mentorship program was the reason and I started and the reason I was able to be successful. Learning to program is extremely difficult, and sometimes seems downright impossible, but having an experienced developer to help guide you through those difficult moments is quintessential to the learning process. WIth this said, there is a mutual expectation that you will do the hard work, and ask for guidance when needed.

While I was not using this program for a career change, I can tell you that there are many excercises throughout the curriculum that help prepare you and get you confident for your interviews. The assessments (Bloc's 'test' more or less) at the end of each module are done in an interview style, and after each assessment you receive the recording of the session to go over with your mentor.

The curriculum is well balanced between front end and back end programming, and teaching you the fundamentals you need to be successful. It's constantly changing and being updated as you go, and having access to the roadmap even after you complete the course is a great addition. With this said, I would recommend checking in with your mentor regularly regarding your roadmap, especially if your start date and enroll date are spaced out. There were a few times that I ended up doing older modules without realizing, only to find out new ones were available (and the new ones were much better).

For anyone looking to to learn about Web Development, I would absolutely recommend Bloc. The mentors, students, and Career Services team are all very enthusiastic about helping you achieve your goals.

• So far so good!
    - 3/26/2018
    Evan Medeiros • Student

So far I've been enjoying my experience in the Web Developer track with Bloc. What's great about it is that they give you just enough in curriculum to get an idea of how it's done, but not enough to just blow through the homework. You really do have to stretch those research and google muscles. The Slack channel is full of helpful folks in your same position, more than happy to help you out. Also, having a mentor meeting once a week has been great when there are those moments that you just can't wrap your mind around a concept. Plus, if you're in the middle of a project and can't seem to get a concept right, they respond to queries very quickly.

If affordabilty is an issue, one of the reasons I chose Bloc was their partnership with Skillsfund. In the past, development "bootcamps" have been really only for a select few people who could afford the high price tag, and kind of felt like a club you had to buy your way in to, and only those who could afford it need apply. I can't thank Bloc enough for that partnership. Without it, having a single income family and a child with special needs, I would have never been able to foot the bill.

Overall, I highly reccomend it. You will only benefit from your experience.

• Luke Chavez • IT Support • Student

This is a serious course for someone that is already good with computers. This course will teach you to code and it will be challenging. If you are prepared to work hard and have a great experience this is your place. They have great mentors and roud the clock assistance! You may need additional material outside the course to reall grasp all the concepts but they will get you 90% of the way there.

• Loving Bloc!
    - 3/12/2018
    Sarah B

I'm almost two months into the web developer track and am so amazed at how much I've learned, and how easy it is to retain. Bloc uses everyday logic to introduce concepts and it works wonderfully. I'm very excited to see where this goes in the upcoming months, and am super thankful for the opportunity!

• Sheronda • Student

I am a BLOC student on the Web Developer Track who is a 50-year-old African-American woman and a European resident. I desire a career change that allows me to work from home and on my schedule. I come from an electrical engineering background but with limited coding experience.  However, I have been doing websites using an editor the last five years as a volunteer at my church and work. I wanted to take my skills to a higher level but needed an online program that offered flexibility and accountability without having to earn another degree. I found BLOC!

After numerous hours searching online, I found BLOC and was very impressed by the program offering and testimonies. I could relate to the alumni. Regular meetings with a Mentor and the flexibility of obtaining new skills online sold me on the program. I like its structure, the encouraging feedback from the Grading Team, and the course content. BLOC also offers Group Sessions which allow me to supplement the curriculum and interact with other students and mentors. BLOC’s Student Portal has an excellent layout. I can chart my progress and also see the next steps.

My education at BLOC started to pay off during my first month. On my job, I serve as my team’s webmaster and help with online communications in addition to other duties. I was able to troubleshoot code and even code an entire page without the web editor. I had surprised myself. Also, I noticed I could better understand my peers in IT and direct vendors who I outsource e-marketing jobs.

BLOC’s curriculum is very intense, but the key is that you go at your own pace. You are not in competition with anyone. I commit 20 hours a week to my studies. At times with the demands of my job, serving in the church, and being a wife, I may do less. But the key for me is dedicating set hours to schooling and keeping my Mentor apprised of any concerns I may have. Once persons found out I was going to school, I started getting support in different ways. My interns and the younger members of my church are in awe that someone my age is going back to school and doing something they consider “hard.” My husband is my biggest cheerleader.

BLOC’s curriculum, focus on customer satisfaction, and flexibility is equipping me to bring my dream to fruition. I recommend BLOC to everyone.

• Kasper Pickett • Student

I am 17 weeks into my Software Developer course at Bloc.io. The coursework has been very challenging, but with the resources they provide it is also very manageable.   I am very excited to graduate and get a job in the field and am confident I will do so with this program.

• Michelangelo Pereira • Senior Instructor • Graduate

The full stack web development program is well thought out. There are many checkpoints, reasons and things to keep you busy. Regular mentor meeting keep you on track and help when you get stuck. There is also a good community on slack to ask for help.

The program is also about what you put into it. You can put in the bare minimum or go the extra mile. I am satisfied with my experience at block and think that the program provides great value for what it costs. The part time option is also perfect for working professional. And the ability to slow or speed up your pace is great. I had take a few days off and it was perfectly fine. If you find the coursework overwhelming you can slow down your pace and have fewer weekly mentor meetings.

I think that my time with bloc really prepared me to attack any coding challenge put in front of me. More than learning how to code, you are also learning how to learn and creatively solve problems.

• Katherine O. • Graduate

I completed the Web Developer Track of Bloc, and overall I enjoyed the program.  I came in with little experience, and while initially overwhelmed with the fast-paced learning, things began to click as I progressed. It was the project portion of the course that helped to tie everything together.

I guess that’s the case with learning any new skill. You can learn the details, you can understand their meaning, but if you can’t combine the smaller pieces into a greater whole then you haven’t begun to master it. When I initially tried learning to code on my own, I felt like I was stuck in that situation of studying piece after piece of information but unable to integrate that info into anything useful. Bloc offered the glue to connect the selected languages, frameworks, libraries, etc. for greater comprehension through projects that you might use in every day-to-day life.

Not to mention, the projects are great for portfolios – especially for those just entering the development field.  Rather than simply stating you know certain techs, you have substantial proof of your knowledge to back up the assertions.

• Melelani • Student

I'm so happy I chose Bloc!  I considered several other paths for UX/UI design and frontend code (General Assembly, Codecademy, Treehouse, UC Extension, and others), but I ultimately chose Bloc because I was so impressed by the design portfolios I found online that were made by Bloc alum, and I really appreciate the flexible/remote format they offer.

I wanted a program that would be very results-driven, and Bloc is absolutely that!  Even though it's a remote course, I feel they offer even more support than I received back when I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley.  At Cal Berkeley, it was sometimes hard to get one-on-one assistance or feedback on your work or level of understanding, and you didn't want to schedule office hours with your professor or TA just for a couple small questions.  With Bloc, you have tons of people at your service to help you learn.

With Bloc you get:

1 - A COMMUNITY & TEAM. On Slack, they have a mentor team available around the clock to help with any questions (big or small) that you post. I've literally aways received helpful responses within the hour. And via Slack you can interact with other Bloc students, see what students ahead of you in the program are up to, get inspired by the things peers are making, ask each other for feedback, even collaborate...  You never feel like you're alone in the program.

2- A HELPFUL GRADING TEAM. They also have a grading team that doesn't just gloss over the work you submit. The graders give thoughtful feedback and actionable advice on every submission -- helping you grow into a legit designer.

3- MENTORSHIP. You have a specific mentor (you get to select) who you meet with every week via video conference.  Your mentor is there to look out for you, answer questions, show you how to do things, and provide insight as you progress through the course.

4- DAILY DESIGN CRITIQUES. They also host daily design critiques via video conference which are super informative; you can learn so much by listening in on critiques of other students' work, and by submitting your work for critique!  At first I felt intimidated to submit my work for critique, but I listened in on one and realized that they're actually very constructive and positive.  Instead of sarcasm or tearing your work apart (the way movie critics do, for example) they really just focus on actionable advice for improving and learning what you need.

5- CURRICULUM. They've put together strong and relevant curriculum.  While tech and design trends and tools can change rather fast, Bloc keeps their curriculum and assignments up-to-date.

6- TUTORING.  They monitor students' progress through the curriculum in REAL TIME.  When they notice that students are getting jammed up in a particular area, they'll host video conferences that students can dial into and basically get tailored tutoring in the specific area you need help with.  How awesome is that?!  They had no way to do that for us back at Berkeley, so in this regard I've even say the tailored, skills-oriented/results-oriented education you get with Bloc rivals an Ivy League education!

7-HIGH STANDARDS.  They keep high standards so that you'll be highly interview- and work-ready when you complete the program.  They don't want to simply pass people through the program, because it would make both you and Bloc look bad when you go to an interview and turn up poorly equipped.  Bloc has it in their own best interest to look out for your best interest!

For me, Bloc feels like a big sandbox that you get to have fun digging in and begin building cool things!  We're all here to learn, and, as such, there's no such thing as failure.  Like Thomas Edison said, "I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." Bloc is there for the sole purpose of helping you succeed and discover what works well....as quickly as possible and with as much guidance and support as you need.

Needless to say, I'm more than satisfied with my Bloc experience.  I wish this existed back when I was in college, because not only is design and code fun and interesting, but in bang-for-the-buck, I feel Bloc's design track is more valuable than my liberal arts degree from a top university.

• Mariel • Student

I am about 30% through my Bloc program and so far, have enjoyed my experience. I decided I needed a career change after feeling unchallenged and unmotivated in my current job and realized I needed some hard skills. I started teaching myself HTML, CSS and JavaScript but decided I needed a program to hold myself accountable if anything was going to come of it. I looked at several coding boot camps but Bloc seemed like the best choice financially and fit best with my schedule. It was part-time and online so I wouldn’t need to quit my job while I completed the program. I applied for a scholarship for women in tech and was able to get my tuition reduced, which made the decision even easier. It’s self-paced, but they do recommend how many hours you should work to finish in a certain amount of time. I decided I would do 25 hours a week and fully commit to the program. It’s hard work, but it’s enjoyable and rewarding. The program is broken into 4 modules with checkpoints that you need to submit to a grading team, and each module has a career prep section that will help you with your job search. I have a mentor that I meet with online once a week and am able to walk through anything I was having problems with. There is also a Slack community that is incredibly helpful. I think the best part about Bloc is that they hold you accountable. They will not give you the answers so you need to do the work in order to understand. Part of being a developer is being resourceful and they really put you to the test. Bloc also shows you how to use some of the tools that real developers use like the command line and GitHub. Some weeks are really hard and tiring, but the hard work pays off when you see the fruits of your labor. I do not have a background in tech so most of the material is completely new to me and I’m learning so much every day. I actually can’t wait to get online and work on my program. I feel like I’m finally using my brain again and that I have a second chance at having a challenging and rewarding career. I would highly recommend Bloc to anyone who is looking for a career change to web development and is willing to put in the hard work.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here