bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Anthony • Student

I am an FST student almost done with my program.  The curriculum is very thorough, and the team at Bloc is very passionate about seeing students succeed, providing a lot of job support, moch interviews, etc. The apps we make during the program are fun to work through and leave you feeling accomplished. Having a good mentor is important as it can increase your productivity drastically, and give you someone you can ask questions to anytime.  There is also a great community of students through Slack, and Facebook that is great for networking and just meeting like minded people.

One thing that I think would help with students looking for jobs is some time spent on data structures and Big O, as they are important going into the interview process.

Overall great experience with a dedicated team of people to help.

• Aleksandar • Student

Hi,

I am student at Bloc on "Full stack web development" track.  I am traffic engineer and I had some porgramming experience before Bloc, but not as a developer which is big difference. I  just finished Rails back-end development and I have to say that I am very pleased with a whole experience at the school.

Curriculum is good with very logical "work flow" , which is very helpfull. However, I think that the most important thing is to use your meetings with mentors in a best possible way. I have been encouraged to ask any kind of questions when I was stuck with the curriculum or projects. I asked a lot of things which are connected directly to the rails development but they were not part of the cirruclum and my mentor answered on all of them.

It is very important that a student is self-driven and eager to study alone too. You have to be prepared to work as a developer and that means that you have to learn new things all the time. I think that the main role of the mentors is to teach you how to be independent and to push you forward when you are scared. It is not easy and those who want to learn development on a bootcamp, have to be prepared to work hard and to be challanged and frustrated from time to time.

I have to mention that people who works in administartion are very responsive and flexible and I haven't had any problems there.

If I need to say something negative about the school, I would say that the curriculum should be slighty changed. Bloc has Software engineer track, but I think some of CS fundamentals should be presented in other curriculms too.

Anyway,  I would recomend Bloc to anyone who knows what he/she wants and who sees the bootcamp as a service that can help them (especially in the begining) to find a way to developer's world. There are a lot of things online too, but it is much better and more efficient when somebody just filters those information and teach you what good practice is.

A

• Great Program
    - 5/6/2016
    Jen • Student

Bloc has been fantastic for me so far! I came into the UX/UI Design program with no prior experience in coding or design but the curriculum and being able to work and meet with a mentor every week has been great and keeps me moving forward.  My mentor has been really patient and helps with any and all questions along the way.   I highly recommend this program.

• Mitchell • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Full-Stack Web Developer track. I have been in retail in the tech industry for over 5 years now and I quickly learned that Bloc has the right idea about education in the booming technology age we live in. I have never been a "Technition" by nature but more of a "Sales" guy that is good at talking with people. The mentorship has been the biggest game changer for me as I have tried to learn this desired skillset. I've struggled, I've wanted to pull my hair out at times, and I've had break throughs that have given me confidence that I have a bright future in this field of work.

• Charles Shisler • Graduate

I finished the Fullstack track a month ago, already having years of programming experience, and I can say without a doubt that Bloc has helped me tremendously! Their curriculum is well thought out and lays a great foundation for you to become a well rounded developer. They introduce you to revision control. They present their material in a way that makes the complicated stuff seem easy! They also introduce you to various API's and libraries that have use in the real world. I am really happy with my time at Bloc, with my two different mentors who were always there to answer my questions, and with the career assistance staff, who are encouraging me to kick into overdrive since I graduated. Go Bloc!

• David G • IT • Graduate

As an IT professional with over a decade of experience, I've had a longstanding love of code since I was a kid.  Even though my job took me a bit away from that, I've always wanted to gravitate back but just didn't have the wherewithal and structure to really tackle modern development technologies, languages and frameworks via self-study.  With the advent of bootcamps, I finally had the in i've long been waiting for.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to devote to a traditionally compact, fulltime coding bootcamp experience - so Bloc's more freeform, online scheduling really fit the bill.  This had an unexpected benefit as I was able to supplement what I learned with the Bloc lessons with additional studying and research.

Bloc was a perfect way to ground yourself in current dev knowledge on a your own timetable, and with the mentorship component, you have a dedicated one-on-one tutor/manager/instructor and sounding board to help your progress along, motivate and inspire.  This individual instruction is where Bloc really proves its worth.  More so than any compressed classroom experience or through directed self-study, Bloc gives you a dedicated partner as invested in your success as you are.   That right there is worth the tuition and then some.

• Phil • Student

I've never learnt coding or even heard about anything objective-c related prior to this course. I took this course wanting to get a good fundamental understanding of objective-c as a language. Without any prior experience or knowledge I found that this course was flexible and worked for me, so I tried it out. My mentor Steve was great, he was patient and broke down questions that I had step by step so that I could understand. Whenever I had any problems or if I was stuck he would email/message me within an hour. I had a lot of fun, and that's important, I found that this course was filled with checkpoints and they were fun to learn.

If you're looking for a flexible meeting schedule (because you're working) this is the program for you. The one on one mentorship really helped me get through with a lot of the core fundamental exercises because I knew nothing prior to enrolling in this course. I would recommend anyone who's a real beginner to strongly consider taking this course. Don't be afraid! You'll get it as long as you put in the work! I feel a lot more confident now writing in objective-c.

• Dan • Director of Research & Portfolio Management • Student

I enrolled in Bloc's full stack web develment program in November 2015. I have enjoyed the program so far and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to make the leap into the web development space. I chose Bloc because of the flexible schedule, competive cost, hands on curriculum, mentorship aspect, and projects to showcase my skills to prspective employers. While the curriculum provides a solid base for someone new to the field, I would encourage applicants to supplement the program with other materials such as online Udemy courses or web development books. The mentors are great to work with. They provide support and keep you on pace. This is a program that anyone can do. While I have struggled at times given that I had no prior programming background, I feel confident in the work I am doing and look forward to completing the program.

• Brandon • Student

A little background -- before I joined Bloc I had never written a single line of code. I was a full-time middle school teacher for four years, and had never delved into anything beyond simple computer skills.

Enter Bloc. I started my apprenticeship in October 2015 with Ruby on Rails after doing the assigned prework on Codeacademy and other sites. The curriculum is laid out in a structured, checkpoint format, growing in skill and difficulty as you move forward. It continually builds upon itself. The curriculum does, as some other reviewers have mentioned, hand-hold on the early stages. Though this can seem off-putting to some, this technique is essential when it comes to teaching a student with ZERO coding experience. Other coding schools require you to have some sort of pre-existing skill, and they only accept students who pass certain benchmarks. Bloc doesn't do this. It accepts anyone who has an interest to alter their trajectory, and eases them in to what anyone initiated knows is a challenging skill to learn and master.

Checkpoints present you with a lesson and then giving you coding challenges / problems to complete afterwards. None of these lessons are beyond the scope of what you have learned and many of them challenge you to think beyond a rote use of the code presented -- it challenges you to think of new ways to learn code you have been presented with. This structure is a great entry into the way the coding world actually exists - taking knowledge you know and extending it towards new uses. There are video solutions associated with all problems that are available to watch if you feel like a barrier is too much.

After the primary coding skills are learned, the projects begin. This is where you come to acutally start building applications and a true portfolio. You will be challenged to take a short use case with some direction, but you are primarily responsible for discovering and coding the solution. Bloc offers a lot of projects that cover the prime foundation of the technologies you will use. You don't build massive, epic applications, but you get the skills and knowledge necessary to start crafting such software monoliths.

The main squeeze of Bloc is the mentorship model. I admit that my first mentor experience was off-putting. My first mentor was late often, offered only small pieces of advice and did not push me beyond answering simple project based questions. As some other reviewers have mentioned, this sent me looking for answers elsewhere to extend my knowledge. In the second half of my program I had a completely different experience. I was paired with a mentor who was always on time, pushed me to learn new skills and came to meetings prepared to challenge me to learn new technologies or coding concepts. If you speak up about a poor mentor, Bloc will readily switch someone in to ensure that you are having the best experience. The support team at Bloc is not only responsive, but concerned with ensuring that you get the most from your experience. Any email or concern that I have had has been answered within a few days with solutions readily available.

I have been a student at Bloc for 7 months and before graduating from the Full-Stack course I already have two active interviews, one of which reached a third phase, complete with whiteboards and company-wide meetings. This would have been impossible without Bloc launcing me towards a love and passion for code. As I said before, I knew no code before Bloc, but I am now being considered for full-time Frontend Software Developer positions at established companies. The portfolio and range of projects are of great interest to employers (I suggest you do as many as you can!).

My one (and really, only!) caveat is this: Bloc is not the end all be all. If you rotely complete the curriculum and projects, you will not be ready to perform in job interviews. Though your education and portfolio might get you calls, all the calls I have received are looking to see if you have a fluency and interest / passion for coding. Anyone can learn to write loops and simple jQuery calls. But do you love to code? Do you want to do it for hours a day, week upon week? A simple portfolio will not display this. While as a student of Bloc I have attended meetups, worked on Open Source projects and read books about code to really master the fundamentals. I live on Codewars, completing challenges every day. However without Bloc as my foundation, my ship upon the seas, I'd be flailing about websites creating mediocre projects with fumble grasps on many concepts. Bloc, as it states itself, is the launching pad of a new career -- but you have to be the rocket.

Overall, I highly recommend Bloc. If you put in your passion and interest, and find you love code, Bloc will lay the ground work for a new career and a new trajectory in life. I have gone from teacher to software developer with a passion in a career that a year ago I didn't even consider. Go and get it.

• Patricia Ehrhardt

Bootcamps were never on my radar. I was learning to code via Meetups, Hackathons and online MOOCs. At about the 2 year point of doing this, I hit a plateau. I really couldn't learn anymore without either a structured day to day job doing what I learnt, or a structured environment. So I started researching bootcamps, and took my time.
    After a ton of research I chose Bloc for several reasons.
    1.) It was all online and allowed me the freedom of time and scheduling to keep working my freelance gigs while attending.
    2.) One on One genius Mentoriship is the golden ticket to why Bloc is successful. The caliber of mentors that Bloc chooses may happen behind the scenes, but as a student I see and experience their expertise everyday.
    3.) Content is challenging and project based, which is what potential employees want to see.
    4.Bloc-Support. There is a ton of support for you on this journey. There is a Slack channel where everyone is awesome and no one makes you feel stupid. There is support if you need more time to grasp concepts, and mentors are availible via email and respond within 1 hour, even with time difference.
    Bottom line, Bloc was the best investment I have made in myself in a very long time.

• Alice • Student

I picked Bloc after some thorough research into coding courses. I decided their 6 month full time Full Stack Track was the best choice for me for a complete career change (I was in Accountancy). I was awarded one of their scholoships in diversity, which made the investment in time and money more affordable.

I am proud of what I have achieved and know that the projects I have built and the knowledge I have gained were only possible becasue of the way Bloc works. The track I am on was guided enough that I knew what I wanted to achieve that day or that week, but it was also flexible that if I was struggling or speedng ahead, it could adapt.

By breaking down the projects into 'checkpoints' it means you don't get overwhelmed with a hug task and when you move onto your own projects, you know how to tackle them. Plus it's super satisfying when your mentor marks them complete! Without a doubt my favourite part (and most needed) was my weekly meetings. I got three a week!

My mentor is superb and whatever I want to talk about he can help. In the beginning we mostly talked through stuff I was stuck on but this became less and less frequent because I'm able to work through things on my own (shocker!). He would point out things that are or are not used in industry and give me real examples so I could see what I was working towards.

It was hard work and quite challenging at times but if you put the time in, you'll get there. It's also a process. I'm still learning and expect to be learning for the rest of my life. Sometimes the most challenging part was not to watch Netflix all day.

There's a facebook group and a Slack channel so you can ask fellow students, other mentors and alumni for help, support or just send a funny gif! That way you feel more connected to other people. The staff are also super helpful and quick at getting back to you if you have any issues or want to change pace, or whatever. During my course the curriculum was updated a couple of times and some really cool projects were added.

I'm now coming towards the end of my course and am applying for jobs. Bloc has a career and job prep section which has a wealth of useful info. They help you prepare you LinkedIn and Github pages and even run mock interviews so the first dreaded 'white board' test isn't so scary. In less than a week of sending a few applications out, I've been contacted by three companies, I went to interview yesterday (so fingers crossed). Bloc has definately prepared me for a career change and given me the tools to do so.

Bloc's model is fantastic -- the extensive curriculum is easy to follow and the weekly calls with a Mentor keep you on track. Highly recommend.

• Michelle • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the Full Stack course on the 72-week track, and have loved every minute of it! Originally, I enrolled part-time while still working a full time job, but now the online model works perfectly as I'm currently on a year-long RTW trip so I can study and work on my own pace, and still have mentor meetings regardless of the time-zone that I'm in.

Bloc does a great job of pairing up students and mentors based on your needs. My mentor is super flexible and responsive to my questions, even during the times between our meetings. I really appreciate the flexibility to study at my own pace and from any location, as those are some things that I wouldn't have been able to do with a 2-month intensive in-person bootcamp. My learning style works better when I have control over my own time and my own pace, so I believe understanding your learning style is very important when it comes to choosing a bootcamp.

I found the curriculum challenging, but well structured. At the end of the foundations section, I was surprised at how much I had learned and what I had built. Now working on the capstone, and my mentor has been great in sharing resources outside of Bloc (which I feel is a great tool in terms of future work/knowledge).

If you're a prospective student interested in a bootcamp that gives you time to let concepts "sink in", is flexible, and provides 1-to-1 mentor-student interaction, I would highly recommend Bloc!

• Current Student
    - 5/5/2016
    Alex Ramirez • Student

I looked at bootcamps for a while.  I really wanted to go to a local, two month bootcamp-- I wanted the hands on experience.  I had tried to teach myself to code, but when I didn't get something, I kept going down an online rabbit hole trying to find more information, and just ending up more confused then when I started.

Bloc kept coming up, and I kept ignoring it because it was still just "an online school."

But it's so much more.  I'm glad I decided to get more information, and ultimately, sign up.  The mentorship program makes a world of difference.  I don't feel like I'm at it alone.  While I'm learning at my own pace, and most importantly, I'm learning HOW to learn coding, having a mentor there to clarify confusing subjects makes it truly feel like I'm learning hands on.  Make sure your mentor is a good fit for you.  The mentors seem to mostly be top notch, and the advisors really helped with finding me a good one.  But unfortunately my first one wasn't good at all.  I was able to switch (another great feature of theirs) and now have a mentor who is perfect for me and the way I learn.

Now that I'm in Bloc, I realize that cramming this information into 2 months would be a mistake.  Either my understanding of the topic would be hazy, at best, or maybe, the other school's curriculum's aren't that good.

The other wonderful part about Bloc is that I don't have to quit my job, I don't have to spend 10+ hours on a campus, in a lab, hammering the information in.  You can pick your pace with Bloc, and learn at the speed that's best for you, and will really make the difference in the end.

• Daniel • Student

Just for a bit of background information, I enrolled in the 9 months Rails Web Development course. At 3 months mark I had finished ~100% of the course (2 projects and capstone). At 8 months mark I had finished ~250% (documented).

You will not regret going to this boot camp. Make sure you find a mentor who is able to meet your needs (your learning style is the most important). Every penny I have spent on this boot camp has not gone to waste, and I would 100% come to Bloc again for another program.

For the 9 month course, it was expected that I put 10-15 hours a week into coding. I ended up putting around 30-40 hours a week (thus 'unofficially' finishing in 3 months). What I really want to talk about though is my apprenticeship experience with my mentor (because this is really what you are paying for).

My mentor saw my motivation and determination to excel and he went over and beyond the amount of hours and meetings that we were meant to have. Even though we are meant to meet once a week over skype for 30-60 minutes, we would end up meeting for 1 - 2 hours, quite often even twice a week. This alone showed me that my mentor was someone who cared for my success. I would also like to say that each mentor that Bloc hires is very experienced in what they do and you should use them to their fullest. Don’t ever be afraid to ask them a stupid question (your mentor won’t judge your question), and they will spend the time with you to make sure you understand everything.

If I was to ever recommend a boot camp, Bloc would be the first on my list (my list of 1). I can tell you for a fact that every program Bloc has to offer is very well made and always improving. People have asked me about my boot camp experience and all I ever tell them is how amazing it was. There is really no other way to explain it aside from it being amazing. Deciding to enroll at Bloc was the best decision I had ever made.

• Stephanie D. • Current Graphic Designer/Photographer • Student

I researched coding bootcamps for a while before deciding on Bloc. Their program appealed to me the most because it allows you to learn from home, set your own schedule and work one-on-one with a mentor. I didn't want to have to spend hours in traffic going back and forth to a school every day and I like that they allow you to pause your program if you need to.

Enrolling in the Full Stack Program has turned out to be a very good decision for me. I came into this with tons of print graphic design experience but no experience at all with any sort of web design or coding. I was afraid backend would be too hard but, although it's been challenging, I've been able to keep up.

My mentor is very helpful and Bloc connects you with other students for support. I really didn't think my mind was capable of this sort of stuff but it is! I'm currently entering the projects phase of the backend course and I'm look forward to putting what I've learned so far into action.

I'd highly recommend Bloc to anyone looking to add to their skill set or even completely change careers.

• Carl • Student

I heard about Bloc through a friend who had over 10+ years in front end development. He, being more tenured and experienced than my young millenial self, was a trustworthy reference. Bloc turned out to be an incredible experience. I thought I knew Ruby on Rails and Javascript before joining Bloc... and that was all due to self study. However, after going through Bloc, the difference is night and day. The cirriculum is excellent and always improving. You learn through building real world applications in today's most cutting edge languages and frameworks. Your mentor is there to personally push and guide you in the right direction.

It takes a driven and self motivated person to go through Bloc. The difference between Bloc and other code schools is the fact that you aren't forced to sit in a classroom and dedicate 40 hours a week, all the while wondering how you're going to pay your bills. Instead, the program is flexible enough to work around your schedule. I'm extremely happy I went through the Bloc program, they align themselves with you through the entire process!

I'm a current student at Bloc and I'm taking a Full-stack web development course. Next week, my back-end web development part will be over. When I looked at my past two months, I just can't believe how much I have learned at Bloc. Before I started the course, I did not know anything about Rails. Now I have 7 complete projects on my portfolio. It took just two months. Incredible.

1) I like having a mentor. This is a huge help. When I have a question that I can't find a similar question/answer, my mentor give me an answer. It's like a customized answer. Getting answers to my question is good but also it is really nice to hear experienced developer's advices. It is a good guide line.

2) I like that I can take a break anytime when I need to. I had a personal issue earlier so I had to take a time off from my course, I felt relieved that I don't need to worry about getting behind my course. If this was a on-site course, it would be hard to take a time off.

3) I like that I can study at my pace. When I don't understand a certain part, I can spend more time to research deeply so I can understand better.

4) I like the curriculum at Bloc. It certainly teaches so many practical skills that is up-to-date. I enjoy very much learning new skills/tools every time it is introduced. Because Bloc course's explanation is very descriptive and uses a conversational words so it is not hard to understand a new concept.

I wish I started Bloc earlier. I searched many online/on-site bootcamps before I signed up for Bloc. I was thinking too much about which one is good for me. But I am glad that I started at Bloc and I am very excited to start my next Front-end course in 2 weeks!

• Jason C • Student

Let me start off by saying that this is an online course and not an in person bootcamp where you have an instructor hovering over you to help you with every little difficulty you encounter.  Bloc's mentor model is exactly what it sounds like, you have mentor who can help you and guide you, but they are not there to hand hold you or to feed you.  So, if you are self motivated, resourceful and can manage your own workload, this course is great for you.

Anyways, Bloc's mentor model is great. Most of the interactions between you and your mentor is over skype (or another chat service).  If you have problems with code, you can share your code with your mentor. You start off by learning revision control and the basics of iOS development/objective-C.  After the basics, you are thrown into develping a couple of Apps with just a few parameters. These projects are almost 100% free form, as you get to decide how you want to create your app.  There are suggestions to guide you in these projects, but the real gem is here is how you utilize your mentor in developing these apps. You do your own research, you share with your mentor, you get feedback then you make your own decision on how to proceed.  With your mentor, you can discuss code, design, career, development environment, ideas about apps, pretty much anything you want relating to iOS field.  I dont need a bootcamp to learn about code, i can buy books and watch videos for that. However, with a mentorship and a very self driven course, i learned more about best practices, problem solving, workflow, desirable characteristics in being a developer and different perspectives of iOS beyond the work alone.  By being semi self driven, i was forced to research, talk to people. Interestingly enough, i was able to slowly expand my network without me even knowing or forcing.

What I am trying to get is that through the mentorship, i learned a lot of other valuable skills that will help me become a better developer beyond the code itself.  While I do not know everything about iOS, Swift or Objective-C, i feel comfortable in talking about iOS development and mentally deconstructing how other people's app were built.

One aspect that I did feel Bloc should improve on is the job support.  They did have a resume and job search module in their curriculum, but decided to remove it.  This is in no way a knock agasint my mentor as he was able to provide me additional support in jobs. But I wish bloc at least should have at least given some samples or advice for job search than to solely rely on the mentor.

• Jack • Ruby on Rails Dev • Graduate

I wanted to write a review about my time at Bloc.

I joined Bloc while looking for a remote learning opportunity, as I had some schedule constraints and issues that precluded me from joining a full-time bootcamp.

What started as a decision based in practicality, quickly became one of the best decisions I’ve made in my career so far.

The format lends itself to extreme self-sufficiency in developers, a crucial skill in today’s job market.

You work with a senior engineer/mentor that has a vast amount of experience in programming/coding in a high-level business environment.

You meet with one person, and you deal with YOUR learning struggles. If you’ve ever been in a classroom setting where there was one smart kid who kept asking questions way beyond the rest of the class, or the inverse, sitting there bored while everyone else struggled to keep up, this is for you.

You’ll push yourself harder then you’ve likely had to do in your life (I know I did), but you’ll come out of it extremely strong, and able to grow within this field, a crucial requirement to advance your career in development.

Bloc balances the need for autonomy as a developer with simple teaching format extremely well.

I didn’t feel pressure to keep learning beyond the curriculum, but at the same time, I was encouraged and coached to push the boundaries of what was taught, and try and understand things that were interesting to me. My mentor guided me through the resource hunting process, and taught me how to digest material that was beyond the basics.

I learned best practices while operating within a development team, and I learned how to build things on my own. There’s no better feeling.

The pacing of the program is extremely individual as well. If you’re a night owl, work as late as you’d like. If you work part-time? Do a slower pace. Have some off-time from work, and want to get in an extra session? Speed up your pace for a week.

I had a week where I wanted to “take a break”. I reached out to my mentor, and was able to ‘freeze’ the program.

The bottom line: Bloc is extremely motivated to ensure each and every student’s success, provided that they show up motivated to learn.

My advice: show up. It’ll be the best move you ever make.

• BLOC is awesome
    - 5/5/2016
    Aaron • future ruby on rails developer • Graduate

Hey,

I took the BLOC Rails Web Development course. It was very detailed and gave me a firm understanding of Ruby on Rails. The mentorship was what made it a valuable deal. I didn't take the full-stack version because I considered myself already front-end oriented. However, it would have been a much better decision for me because all of my front end knowledge wasn't up to date.

Any time I was stuck, I could message my mentor and I would get help within that day. We also had two skype calls per week where we would discuss any issues I had and go over new topics and ideas. I completed a couple of the BLOC projects and I made my own project too. There is also an active Slack community where all of the students and alumni can get to know eachother, ask questions, and share information.

One of the cool parts about the program is that it is a lifetime membership. So as the curriculum changes, I will be able to update my skillset to the latest and greatest changes to rails. I am continuing to take the strong foundation I recieved from BLOC and also using other online resources to keep myself fresh for interviews. I didn't get any job assistance from BLOC but my mentor did lead me through some mock interviews and it was very helpful. I'm currently interviewing for a rails job and I made it to the second interview so fingers crossed.

Now the real question. "What would make BLOC.io even better?"

I think having more interactivity in the lessons would be helpful. mini quizzes and code challenges in each feature. To the point where it is very repetitive, because repetition caters to learning new things. Whatever prevents "copy & paste" learning. There really isn't much to change though, it is a well designed program.

• Bryan • Insurance Exec • Graduate

I struggled with the decision to attend a bootcamp in the first place, as I had a full-time job and two young kids at home. But I am so glad I did. No lighter-weight tutorials would have given me the confidence to move forward on starting a company, which is what I really want to do with my life. Here are a few key points:

a. The curriculum is tough: the Rails foundational project is a fairly serious app for a beginner, not like the many happy-path tutorials that are out there. It cuts no corners, is very up to date with best practices, and will be available to me for years afterward. A "Resources Library" comes with it.

b. The pace of the program allows you to go deep into the "why." I didn't have any peer pressure rushing me along, so when something interested me, I dug into it.

c. Bloc teaches you to teach yourself. My mentors were great because they taught me to fish, as the saying goes. There will always be tons of things to learn, and even though I'm just beginning, I feel confident I can level up.

d. You learn how to deal with frustration. My learning curve felt flat for a looonnnggg time, and then all of a sudden it went vertical - everything fell into place at once because I had stuck with it.

My only regret is that I didn't use the Bloc Slack and Facebook communities to find others who were moving through the same part of the course as me - a buddy would have been great. But if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate to choose Bloc.

• Great experience
    - 5/4/2016
    Adinah Greene • Sales Development Rep • Student

My mentors have been very accommodating with me and I'm able to pace myself in the coursework.  Traditional dev bootcamp in-person wouldn't work for me, since I don't have enough savings to live without an income for 4 months, and I also have my doubts anything would sink in within 4 months.  Bloc allows me to set my own priorities and schedule.  The mentors are always available to me, even outside of regular schedules.  It's like having a private tutor.  Highly recommend for the mid-career professional with a family (exactly the type that tech should be trying to diversify with! :)

• David • Graduate

I began Bloc to change my career from landscape design to web development. I chose to enroll in the Full Stack Web Dev Track which teaches you Ruby on Rails for the first half of the course and then for the second half swaps to front-end development utilizing JavaScript and jQuery. I feel like the overall flow of the coursework was excellent with a hands-on appraoch that fit my learning style well. I am currently still looking for a job but I feel with the tools and knowlede I learned from Bloc I will have no trouble finding a postiion.

• Tatiana Zambrano • Student

I'm glad my supervisor suggested for me to take this class. Bloc has changed my life and so many ways. I feel that during the length of the course so far I have learned so much. From designing webpages to creating html pages.

I would like to add that having a great mentor has made my learning so much better. I will recommend Bloc and my mentor, Luca Leone, to anybody interested in taking a class like this.

Tatiana Zambrano

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates