Big Sky Code Academy
Recent Big Sky Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8
Recent Big Sky Code Academy News
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $7,500 Class size N/A Location Helena, Bozeman, Billings, MissoulaOur curriculum is highly agile and changes rapidly with intention to match the velocity of the ever changing computer sciences industry. We teach the most cutting edge languages and technologies such as React.js and Node.js meanwhile also educating students on locally popular languages and frameworks such as PHP and ASP.NET. While learning Full-Stack web development, you will also learn best practices for UX/UI and design, agile methodologies and practices, foundations of Computer Sciences regarding data structures and algorithms, and much more. Have no clue what an API is? Don’t worry, we’ll teach you to build high quality API’s using Node.js and integrate data from other sources into your projects. We will also make sure you are comfortable with one of the most popular Content Management Systems on the planet: WordPress. You will also learn as much from your instructors as you will from your amazing fellow students! We believe that a team oriented approach is the best way to learn. Big Sky Code Academy™ combines instructor-led lectures with hands-on learning. We’ll have you programming before the end of the first week of classes! Over the course of your class, you’ll learn how to collaborate as part of a technical team while you produce high qualify software and work to develop, maintain, change and launch an application. These team projects will become part of your code portfolio that will be part of your resume toolkit as you look for your next job. Finally, you will build a portfolio of code to share with potential employers and confidently highlight your new found skills! During the course of your class, you will work one-on-one with a career coach to learn how to talk about your resume and code portfolio in an interview. We’ll also set up mock interviews with experts in the field to help prepare you for the real thing. You’ll have plenty of networking opportunities with Montana technology companies and will get to meet people who are looking to hire you. Decided that you might also want to look for jobs outside of Montana? No problem! You can show off you new tech chops to our exclusive global network of employers.
Deposit $500 Tuition Plans 50% up front. 25% due 30 days after the start of classes. Remaining 25% due 60 days after the start of classes. Scholarship Scholarships available for women, veterans and Native Americans.
Minimum Skill Level N/A Placement Test No Interview Yes
Big Sky Code Academy Reviews
10 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Big Sky Code Academy- 8/31/2017Taryn • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula • Verified via GitHub
I am definitely happy with my choice to enroll in the Big Sky Code Academy. I decided to enroll in a web development boot camp after I felt static in my career and needed a change. Knowing I could not make moving to San Fran work, I started to look at my other options and was glad to find a boot camp right in my home town.
The instructors are super awesome and patient, which is imperative when learning so much information in a little amount of time. They are very dialed in to what you want out of the course and what you want to do upon completion. Having people who are interested in your long-term goals and that are willing to help you get there is a very rare thing.
You get out of it what you put into it. Even though there is not much work outside of class, you will benefit greatly from doing your own practice work, even when the class is over for the day. Overall I would definitely recommend this course if you are wanting a job in the tech industry.
- Just what I needed- 8/31/2017Sienna S. • Web Designer and Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula • Verified via GitHub
I loved that the class was online! I traveled a lot but hardly missed class because I could tune in from California to Maine! You don't have to be in Missoula or Bozeman, let alone Montana!
To be fair, code is really hard and tests your willpower. Even if it comes naturally it's still frustrating and scary to learn new material. What makes this program so unique is the dedication of the instructors and the organization to actually helping each student feel successful and continue that experience post graduation. It takes some guts, but if you feel called to code this is probably the best place to start!
- Big Sky Code Academy: A worthwhile investment- 8/31/2017Alexander Murray • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula • Verified via LinkedIn
It's scary starting a new and huge endeavor like this, especially for a 20 something like me, fresh out of college with pennies to my name. I wasn't sure what the future held. I was worried things wouldn't work out.
I can happily say that my worries were unfounded. A dedicated team took us in and got to work, molding a crew of computer illiterates into capable techies. 12 weeks of rigorous lessons flew by, and suddenly I had skills that could propel me into a successful career as a web developer. 12 weeks! A mere fraction of the time it would take to complete a college course in the same field, but with all the same value, and I would argue more, attached.
If you want to learn code, if you want a new and exciting career, look no further. Maybe I'm gushing a bit... but these guys are great.
- Available remotely and NO weekends!- 8/16/2017Jenn Turner • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula
Benefits of BSCA’s bootcamp:
- GI Bill approved.
- BSCA let me use my windows computer even though the web development community “highly suggests” a Mac. I can’t afford a new computer right now.
- Remote-class format was the number one reason for taking this course. I had the option to travel to Missoula if I wanted face-to-face time with the instructors, but I never felt like I needed to take advantage of that. Other schools require ‘immersive weekends’ in addition to traveling on the evenings. This course was only three evenings each week (at home).
- The video conferencing was good practice since this meeting format is becoming increasingly popular.
- The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. Not only do they know code, they know how to teach it and are incredibly patient. They’re available during the weekends and out-of-class hours.
Reasons why I wanted to learn these skills:
- It was important for me to take this course right now because of a possible move out of state. I need in-demand employable skills in case I need a new job.
- Big Sky Code Academy- 8/3/2017Travis • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula
- Full Stack Java Script Course- 8/1/2017Emily • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula
I took a full stack JS course from Big Sky Code Academy this summer and it was a great experience. I am a traditional Computer Science student during the school year and I found the course to be challenging and useful. I learned a lot and gained experience that I wouldn't have gotten in a traditional school environment. The skills they teach you are meant to prepare you for finding a job in the tech industry so you learn relevant, cutting edge skills that employers are looking for.
The curriculum took us through server side development using NodeJS and then we learned several front-end libraries including Vue and React. Like with anything, you get out what you put in. In addition to in-class projects, there was also weekly homework. The in-class projects we worked on together moved at a good pace because the instructor to student ratio was high and if someone was struggling there was always a teacher to help. The homework challenged us to use the tools we learned in a larger context which helped reinforce the big concepts we covered in class. I found it easy to get help if I was struggling with a topic or had questions about the homework. It typically took only a few minutes for one of my instructors to get back to me about any questions I had.
Overall, the experience was great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking to get a programming job or who are looking to make professional connections in the tech industry.
- Big Sky Code Academy - Java Script- 8/1/2017Karsten Pease • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Missoula
- I chose the right one...- 7/25/2017Cody M. • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Helena
I am a non-traditional bootcamp graduate...three degrees...family...not in my 20's. When I was looking into the bootcamp option I grew more and more skeptical as all of the articles out there share doom and gloom stories about people spending thousands for nothing. So what did I initially do...I went the cheap route and subscribed to one of the many teach yourself to code classes. After a few weeks of working with the platform I felt I needed more of a challenge so I took the plunge and applied to Big Sky Code Academy's part-time evening class. During the two interviews, I had to make sure that the course and school was right for me, I felt as if the staff really did listen to my needs to make sure they were compatible with what the school could offer. Once accepted the course needed to be changed to an online conference format due to the lack of local interest in my town. I loved it! It forced me to take stage and learn/interact with all the members of my class. The online format also allowed my life to happen in the background since all I needed was my computer and a Wi-Fi connection to attend class. The material was well prepared and thought out. My main complaint was that there was a lot of material to get through in not a lot of time to get through it. Since I was working I was not able to devour some of the content as much as I may have. Once job time came around the staff was extremely helpful in presenting all of my options for employment, but here is my main stick when reading the reviews of code schools on day one. 98.9% of the time a job will not land in your lap and you will need to hustle to land something for yourself - especially in the bootcamp graduate market. YOU will need to do a lot of extra work to make the transition to a big-name tech company and the staff at Big Sky Code Academy are willing to give you all the tips and feedback you need...YOU just need to do it and implement what tips they give you. You may also need to learn a new language or two to pass a technical interview...Big Sky Code Academy provided such a good framework though that you can refactor your projects into new projects to learn and practice any new language you could need. I would not go back on my decision at this point in time...I love my experience at Big Sky Code Academy.