App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67
Recent App Academy News
- October 2021 Coding Bootcamp News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
App Academy Reviews
1076 reviews sorted by:
- Hardest experience of my life, but worth it- 12/14/2021Arnold Cabang • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy is no joke when it comes to how hard the program is. I've seen reviews before I joined that mentioned how your life during the program will basically only consist of eat, breathe, and sleep coding. And honestly it pretty much did feel like that. However, if you've got the drive and will to pick up coding skills in a short amount of time, you're not going to really mind it too much. All this to say, that I feel the reward was certainly worth the challenge. Nothing felt more rewarding than finally understanding a concept, passing a test, or getting over an insurmountable blocker during a project. For the short time that you spend here, you definitely pick up a whole lot of knowledge. For me personally, I never would have gotten this far on my own within 6 months time and I have App Academy to thank for that. Everyone from the staff to the cohort-mates were amazing and supportive. If you're hesitant on joining but you know you've been wanting to get into coding for a while, I'd say just do it. I haven't regretted my decision ever since.
- Great Bootcamp- 10/28/2021Man Tat Masa Cheung • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHubApp Academy was great. I graduated with a CS degree, but in App Academy I learnt a lot of new programming languages and I built three different web-application which also helped me developed my resume. I spent a lot of extra hours for me to feel comfortable and finish up the projects. I would definitely recommend the program, just make sure you make friends and get a group of supporters together during the bootcamp.
- best bootcamp!- 10/26/2021Arwen Kim • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInI have attended 16weeks program and recently graduated. It is fast-paced study environment, you need to spend at least 70-80 hours per week to avoid failing from the courses. Even though, TAs help you really well with keeping up your environment, and gives you motivations too. I definitely recommend it for your good future career, because they even helping you out during job search. You can get good advices not even just for your documentation but also for your upcoming interview until you get a job.
- Overall, pretty good.- 10/26/2021Darrick Shin • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInI attended the 16-week program. It was a fast-paced environment and pretty easy to fall behind if you weren't committed to around 60-80 hours a week. It starts off pretty easy, but there are measurable increases in the pace and difficulty every two-three weeks. If you're thinking about doing this Bootcamp, I'd recommend finding a group as early as possible. It's easy to feel behind if you isolate yourself, but in a group, you realize most people are at or around the same level. Additionally, my peers helped make up the knowledge gap.
- Honestly, Best 6 Months of My Life- 10/21/2021Kyle Tseng • SWE to be • Graduate • Course: App Academy Open • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInEven if you're just slightly interested in getting into coding, App Academy does a great job of really introducing you to everything you need to be a full-stack developer. Not only that but their deferred payment model helps alleviate a lot of the financial burden that you would experience with other bootcamps, where you only start paying after you land your first job. There are some pros and cons here and there though:
- Super supportive staff who really just want to see you succeed and make the bootcamp feel less pressuring
- You get to meet a ton of new people here who are relatively in the same position as you or have the same interest
- Instructors are also super lenient as long as you're forthcoming with your circumstances. While there are specific check-in times, if you've experienced an accident and don't have the time to, as long as you let them know ASAP they're really understanding about your situations.
- There is a lot of content on the platform that needs to be updated/changed. Some of the modules we skipped over projects because they didn't want us doing them or typos in the curriculum
My only tip for anyone interested in this program is, don't half-ass the program. You're going to end up paying for it both financially and academically if you don't give the program your all. It's an intense program and rightfully so because of the amount of content you need to fit into your brain to compete with recent 4-year college graduates. But again, there is so much support from the staff that if you don't get something, never be afraid to ask for another explanation, maybe from another instructor.
- A jam packed experience keeping you on the edge of your computer chair every waking moment... Also in your sleep as well.- 10/5/2021Pierre Guilbault • Dancer turned SWE • Graduate • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy was quite the experience. It was a lot to take on, and at times didn't feel manageable. It took a lot of extra time for me to feel comfortable with everything. I put in a lot of extra hours and a lot of effort to keep up with everything. If you learn quickly and do well teaching yourself then this is the course for you. There were times later in the program where help from instructors was a little lacking, not only did it seem that they didn't have all the answers but that they didn't have the time to help either. It is a fast paced program so I think the problem lies in the fact that we are hungry and plentiful and there just isn't enough time for it all to be possible. I would definitely recommend the program, just make sure you make friends and get a group of supporters together during the bootcamp.
- App Academy teaches you more than just coding- 9/25/2021Cody Brown • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInMy App Academy experience has been fantastic. It's true what they say, you get out what you put in. You will absolutely succeed and learn a TON if you apply yourself. You learn more than just how to code, you learn how to manage challenges, manage your time, your emotions, how to work hard and learn new things. Graduating App Academy is real testament to your strength. A roller coaster of an experience and I don't regret a thing.
- Software Engineer- 9/1/2021Shane Wilkey • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI wasn't sure what to expect when I enrolled in App Academy, but it ended up being one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences in my life. The instructional staff for the most part was top-notch, though near the end of the course a few instructors gave the impression they would rather be anywhere but there. By and large, though, the staff were always friendly and helpful and would usually go out of their way to find resources to further explain some of the harder concepts. The curriculum itself is intense and does not stop. There were little if any opportunities to not give it 100% throughout the 24-week online course. The use of spaced repetition throughout the course would often give glimmers of hope as I would somehow be able to recall and apply a concept that absolutely baffled me a few weeks earlier. Coming out of the course I am quite confident in my abilities as a software developer. If you're looking to kickstart your career and are driven to succeed I would consider this program. The pros far outweigh the cons and if you're willing to put in the work, you walk away with the potential of earning 6 figures right out the gate.
- Software Engineer- 8/25/2021James Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI can't say enough about this program. I went in confident in myself, but not confident in what I could offer a future employer. I was always nervous about what to say during an interview and what would impress the interviewers. Now I have viable skills that are in demand and that pays well. I would first say, that anyone thinking about attending this boot camp should enjoy solving problems, and shouldn't get so frustrated that you stop trying to solve them. This program takes perseverance and a strong will and the ability to work well with others, because I promise you, getting through the program with cohort mates is what makes it all possible in my opinion. Being able to talk about the topics we learned and hear them repeated back to us through study groups helped me feel really confident in the material right away. If you've thought about a coding boot camp or have a knack for solving problems and are dedicated to honing that skill, trust that App Academy will give teach you how to become a full stack engineer and break into the competitive job market.
- Worth it- 8/25/2021Gary • Course: App Academy Open • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInGoing to app academy is worth it clear and simple. you get all the knowledge you need to get started in tech and you dont pay a dime till you get hired, the bads are there is a big cheating problem and if you get stuck with one in a group project or like me and you get TWO, it makes your life that much more stressful.
- Worth It!- 8/10/2021Alexandra B. • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub