App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68
Recent App Academy News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
- April 2018 Coding Bootcamp News Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 26, 2020 - New York CityDecember 21, 2020 - New York CityNovember 16, 2020 - San Francisco
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 5, 2020 - OnlineNovember 2, 2020 - OnlineNovember 30, 2020 - Online
App Academy Reviews
896 reviews sorted by:
- Overall Decent Experience- 5/28/2020Danny Huang • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy is a very balanced program as not only does it emphasize on improving your technical proficiency, but also makes sure you are prepared to work with fellow programmers in a collaborative professional environment. The projects and exams are generally good measures of your proficiency and while you may feel like you are drowning at times, don't worry, the TAs, your cohort mates, and your assigned circle leaders are there as guard rails to remind you to take care of your health, both physical and mental. Unfortunately, my cohort was remote for the majority of the bootcamp due to COVID-19, however the staff at App Academy moved quickly and efficiently to onboard us for remote learning. I would definitely recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to start a career in software development.
- App Academy is an Excellent Program- 5/27/2020Michael Murry • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInAttending App Academy has been an amazing experience. App Academy’s effective selection process filled my cohort with passionate people that take coding seriously. This made learning a blast, as everyone I got teamed up with were really friendly and great to work with.
- greeeeat- 5/27/2020jared lester • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInoverall a/A was great. i learned a ton and met really great people. it is incredibly fast paced so it is not an ideal fit for everyone. the staff is really knowledgable and seem to really care about your success in the tech industry. the last 3 weeks could use a little bit of adjustment when it comes to how hands off they are at that point. In the end i would absolutely do the course all over again!
- Brittany Hasty • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInAfter many months of trying to find work after a cross-country move to SF, I decided to take a gamble and try my hand at a coding bootcamp. I choose App Academy after seeing that it had a very high job placement rate after graduation, and it covered the most material out of all the bootcamps I had my eye on. Going through the course was challenging - far more than my previous experience at college. However, all the hard work was more than worth it; I feel so much more prepared to enter the workforce now along with being much more prepared for the application process. If you are looking for a great coding bootcamp, I would highly recommend App Academy!
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take- 5/27/2020Wayne Su • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInComing from a STEM but non-CS background and having prior self-taught experience in web development, I was sincerely surprised by how much there is still to learn throughout the cohort. We learnt “talking code” through the pair programming sessions, mastered every aspect of the production side of programming (building projects, testing) and also the theoretical side (algorithms, data structures).I could whole-heartily recommend anyone out there that wants to step their foot in the software industry to give App Academy a shot. But make sure that before enrolling in this awesome and incredibly supportive family of instructors, TAs, job coaches, and your best resource - classmates, that this is a boot-camp rather than a regular degree you’re signing up for. Given the rigorous amount of classwork and the intense short time frame. You would have to bring sufficient efforts and motivation, and also prove that you are worth offering this wonderful chance of learning. And even by graduation, what awaits is not just a thin piece of paper validating whatever we have done, but what we are equipped with: tools, mindset, and everything we need to plunge through this never ending learning journey of being a software engineer.
- Do whatever it takes to come here!- 5/26/2020Dorian Izaiah Brown • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInHonestly, it's not as hard as everyone makes it sound. Yes, you do have to put in work, but you will do great if you aren't lazy. They literally give you EVERYTHING that you need to succeed in the bootcamp. This has been the most beneficial experience I have ever had. You learn at an outstanding rate, and the TAs really care about your success. After you are done with the bootcamp, you definitely feel job ready and feel like you can learn anything. The assessments aren't hard. They give you a practice assessment that is almost identical to the actual assessment, so don't let that turn you away. The big class sizes are NEVER an issue. I actually ended up liking the class size a lot because it gives you the opportunity to pair program with many different personalities. The worst thing about the bootcamp is CSS because it almost feel neglected, but honestly if you watch like 3-5 YouTube videos on it you will be good. Overall, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't come here if it is an option. Try your very best to get in because it's worth it.
- You get what you put into it...- 5/25/2020Rasheeq • Graduate • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy is no joke when it comes in terms of workload and material that that it expects its students to learn. That being said App Academy does its best to provide you with the tools for success if you're looking to make the switch to software engineering. The culture at App Academy is definitely a great one and there was good camaraderie among my cohort mates and the instructors. Coming from a non-technical background I felt that this program would be impossible but if you're willing to dedicate yourself than you will come out with learning how to do something that you didn't think was possible.
Its a tough program for sure but if you devote all of your time and energy to it from start to finish you come out feeling fantastic with a strong support system of friends and staff who are all helping you to start your new career path as a software developer. So be ready.
- Best decision I ever made!!- 5/23/2020Jennifer Huynh • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy was probably the best decision I ever made. I really wanted to learn how to code, and was unsure of what was the right move for me. There are a ton of coding boot camps out there, especially ones where recruiters will consistently try to rope you in. No, not App Academy; their acceptance rate is really low and to get in is a privilege.
While studying for App Academy (their jump start program - which was free); I learned a lot about programming. Within two weeks, I knew how to code in Ruby and solve algorithm problems! I was really excited to find out about all that I would learn (if and) when I got in. Fast forward through the smooth-sailing admissions process, I entered App Academy on my first day and met a lot of great people who later became some of my closest friends! I did not realize how hard, and intense the program would be. There were times where I wondered if I could keep up and make it through the program (there definitely were people who got dropped - and I think it's because they didn't take it as seriously, not because they were lacking the smarts) but the teachers and my fellow peers were extremely supportive. You never realize how much you could learn, and App Academy fosters the right culture and environment for that.
I would say that the only drawback was that sometimes the curriculum seemed a bit outdated, and the instructions weren't as clear. But even with those kinks, we learned how to work around this which challenged us as developers (to find solutions when we were unsure of what to do).
Anyway, I would say moving towards the end, you will find yourself feeling like a brand new person. The alumni community is great - people who have graduated from here will talk to you on LinkedIn. There is a sense of pride and community amongst the AA grads :)
- Definitely an Immersive Experience- 5/7/2020Nicole O • Student • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInAttending App Academy was very stressful, but definitely a wonderful opportunity to learn. I did the online program, and at times it seems like an afterthought.
Pros: You learn a lot, can end up meeting lots of cool new people from diverse backgrounds
Cons: Stress can get to you, there isn't a great support system for students
- Student- 5/4/2020Jennie Richardson • Student • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInAll the reviews I read online about App Academy said it was going to be intense, and they were not wrong! I was a complete newbie to the developing world when I started the App Academy journey. It meant that I had to stay on top of the reading materials and homework every single day (including weekends). It is a rigorous program and there is no time for you to stop and take a breather. You just have to keep going. But at the end I realize there is a method to this madness. Concepts did become clearer as I moved on. The teachers in my cohort were very supportive throughout the whole program. There was no question too small or too big. They were always ready to answer any questions or discuss any issues I brought up. The pair-programming part of the curriculum is also a crucial part of the students' success. Once you're done with this program, you know how to explain your code and communicate with your peers really well. I highly recommend App Academy to anyone who is interested in software developing and is ready to dedicate themselves to learning in an intensive environment.