app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (853) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date July 27, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    July 27, 2020 - San Francisco
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
    August 31, 2020 - New York City
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date July 13, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    July 13, 2020 - Online
    August 10, 2020 - Online
    September 7, 2020 - Online
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Chris Parfitt  User Photo
    Chris Parfitt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The curriculum is challenging and fast-paced, but absolutely worth it for the experience you get that truly makes you competitive in the job market. After graduation you will have the skills to build full-stack applications and websites, and just as importantly, you will have the knowledge and confidence to learn any new technology that you're interested in that wasn't covered in the course. Most of the work is done via pair programming, which can be uncomfortable in the beginning, but it grows on you and is a really useful skill to have. TA support during the class portion is also really good.
    In terms of job support after graduation, I don't find it nearly as successful as the scholastic curriculum. I don't I think App Academy is necessarily at fault, I think it's just really difficult to land your first professional job in general. I think the school is doing most of what they can, access to alumni boards, interview and job searching tips, weekly meetings with advisors, etc., but as a student you should understand that most the weight will be on you to find a job.
  • David  User Photo
    David • Student Verified via GitHub
    I have finished the instructional portion of App Academy and am currently transitioning into the job search portion of App Academy.

If you are comparing App Academy against other bootcamps, I think App Academy is the better option as of this writing. I have a roommate attending Hack Reactor (HR) and my understanding is that HR is equivalent to the second half of App Academy. In practice, this means you lose out on learning a second language (Some companies, such as Google, care about how many languages you learn) and do not learn databases or CSS as deeply.

If you are wondering whether you are a good fit for App Academy, I would follow the advice of those before me and go through Harvard's computer science Edx program before attending. It is not imperative that you fully understand everything from that course, but a general idea of the concepts helped me excel at App Academy. I came from a political science background, but I understood programming concepts thanks to predicate logic, the Harvard Edx course, and from video games. So, you do not need extensive knowledge of coding, but attending App Academy without some exposure is a mistake.

The program itself is rather rigorous and you will find that you live under a rock for the duration of it. Our cohort had the easiest time because our program aligned with several holidays. Nevertheless, I found myself skipping my normal gym routine in favor of late-night studying. The most telling part of the workload was when I caught the flu and missed an entire week at App Academy. During that time, I still did the work, on my own, and turned it in to avoid strikes (Yes, you get strikes while sick). I often thought I could rest and make up for lost time later that night, but when I compared my pace to my classmates, I found that not only were they working while I was resting, but even during the hours I felt I could pull ahead. Simply put, there is no escaping the time-sink involved in this type of program. When we finished the material and began personal projects, I found myself running on four hours of sleep per night.

How enjoyable the experience is will largely depend on your fellow students. I felt as if I shared a lot of experiences with my cohort and that they made the experience enjoyable. It is impossible for me to say whether other cohorts will be as exceptional. You will find yourself interacting with at least half the cohort due to paired programming and your breaks will be spent discussing the material. Personally, I enjoyed pair programming since I value the time I spend with my cohort, but some people felt it was not as enjoyable -- it really depends on your preferences.

My biggest criticisms of this program are its strike policy and location. As previously mentioned, you accrue strikes while sick and that inclined people to attend class, with the flu, during my time at App Academy. My other criticism is that it is located in rather expensive places. It might not be feasible to relocate, but New York and San Francisco are infamously expensive locations and are not necessarily the nicest places (In terms of cleanliness). Be prepared to budget if you attend. I know some people mitigate this cost by traveling from afar, but given the tedium of the program, I would highly advice against it.

Overall, I think the program pushes acquainted individuals to become great software engineers.I wouldn't recommend it to people with zero exposure to coding, but a little preparation will alleviate that concern. I was surprised to read that professional developers are paying to learn material App Academy teaches such as React and Redux. I often impressed my software engineer friends when I told them what we learned/were learning, so I believe the curriculum is rather exceptional.

• Lisa   User Photo
    Lisa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy is a fast-paced and rigorous program. If you are willing to learn, they will give you more than enough to learn in the span of 3 months. That being said, if you don't thrive during times of stress the style of this program might not be for you. If stress motivates you, this is a really rewarding program as most students will go the extra mile to make sure they're getting the most of the experience. App Academy won't teach you everything - that's not their goal but they provide a good foundation to take the first step towards a career in software engineering.
  • as student
    Xiaowen Ling  User Photo
    Xiaowen Ling • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I like the style of this school, It push me so hard to learn lot stuff in short time, it is worth my life! and i like these teaching video. it is really good also. environment it is really important for study , and the school does give you pretty good environment to study and do you project.
  • Andres K  User Photo
    Andres K • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy is not for the faint of heart. I attended their cohort in August 2019 and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Transitioning to software engineer seemed like a meteoric task but thankfully the high level overview that App Academy provided, gave me a strong grasp in the foundations of web development. Don't get me wrong, 3 months is definitely not an adequate time frame to feel ready as you venture to become a full fledged software engineer. What App Academy does teach you is how to learn and quickly pick up new technologies. Do note, the curriculum is extremely difficult. They state this program is not for everyone and it may not be for you. If you deteriorate under pressure this is not the program for you. If you aren't willing to put in at least 100 hours a week, this program isn't for you.
  • Great program
    Han Kim  User Photo
    Han Kim • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program teaches you all the stuff you need to become a web developer. If you have passion to put yourself to study and work hard to become a software developer, this is a good place to begin. If you are stuck for interviews and job search, they help you out with great resources.
  • Rewarding
    Oliver  User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub
    Overall definitely a rewarding and enjoyable experience. The instructors are amazing and really put in time and effort to facilitate your learning. However, you still need to put in your own time to keep up and master the material.

I've seen some students spend 80+ hours a week, but I've also seen some spend around 60 hours and do fine. There is a lot of variation in how fast the content is picked up, but don't expect a walk in the park.

Instructors are amazing, curriculum is pretty good, and some people are great.

• Joseph  User Photo
    Joseph • Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    DISCLAIMER: I'm at the last week of the course, and job search hasn't quite started yet, so I can't give proper rating/review of Job Assistance yet.

Strong curriculum, AA tries to keep up with newer/updated technologies. Hooks haven't been added to their curriculum yet, so you'll need to learn that on your own. Another thing: the curriculum really doesn't highlight CSS. There will be a portion of the curriculum where you learn CSS for ~30 minutes a day - while they are boring, DO NOT NEGLECT CSS if you're new to it! You'll lose a lot of time on your final projects figuring out styling.
    Assessments can be very stressful, you may find yourself skipping homework and/or losing sleep to be ready for them. While they're not tricky and cover only the basics, there can be a lot to take in and forgetting something might cost you the entire assessment (you either pass or you fail, basically). Ultimately, the assessments matter little to none for your job search, so just do what you can to pass them and move on.
    There's a lot in the curriculum. Don't worry about not being able to complete the classwork or homework. Don't worry about not finding time to go back to them (unless you really like the project, or they're very relevant to the assessment).
    Then come the projects! Working on your own projects is probably the most enjoyable part of the curriculum. However, unless you're a top student, you're not going to finish any of your projects before graduation, and will have to continue working on them afterward. Speaking of...
    As of current, I am a few days away from graduating, and we've crammed in a bunch of career-related lectures and assignments in the last two weeks. At this point, you really don't get any sort of idea how you stack up as a (junior) software developer, so unfortunately, I can't provide much input in terms of the job search portion (arguably one of the most important things you'd want to know out of a review). Personally, this is actually a big pain point for me, and I feel very unprepared heading into the job search ("I barely have working projects for my portfolio," "I haven't touched algorithms in months" and "I need to network and follow up with leads" are just a few thoughts plaguing me in the "last week" of school. A part of me hopes that I'll find a job relatively quick, and look back at this review and laugh about it.

tl;dr: I want to say it's worth it, but I need to wait to graduate (this week) and figure out just how bad (or good) the job search is.

If it helps, I DID have a great time here at App Academy. You make a lot of connections/friends here (and if you're an introvert like me, feel better knowing that you won't have a choice), and the TAs here really care for your learning and well being (they're your friends, too!).
  • Macallan  User Photo
    Macallan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy has given me a solid foundation of the topics it covers. I went from not being able to discuss web development to carry an in-depth conversation. In addition to learning the skill sets to land me a job that I find engaging, it also allowed me to see the fantastic backgrounds which make up Software Engineers.

I would highly recommend App Academy to anyone, I would caveat that it is hard work but is doable.

• JP Tucci  User Photo
    JP Tucci • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As someone who had little coding background, I learned a lot and I learned it quick. Thankfully, the TA's are amazing and really care about you doing well. So while even though the curriculum can be rough, you can always get some clarity from them. It is definitely stressful and quite time consuming. Plan to be solely dedicated to this as it is not a program you can do while also maintaining a job or anything else for that matter. Definitely glad I did it!
  • Jon  User Photo
    Jon • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros:
    - You really are able to create a fully web app by the end of the program
    - You meet a lot of very supportive, awesome people in the class that come from various backgrounds

Cons:
    - You have to be able to know how to learn on your own, it is impossible to pass the bootcamp expecting someone to hold your hand along the way

If you think App Academy alone will get you a job, then it might not be the right place for you. What they do do is provide an excellent foundation for people new to the software engineering field, and that foundation should prove useful in picking up new topics as you progress into the field.
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going to echo some others' comments here around getting what you put in. Personally, this has been one of the most rewarding educational experiences I've undergone (that's counting K-12 and a rigorous undergraduate experience) for a couple of reasons:

1. If you are willing to put 80-100hrs of work into doing anything a week, you are going to learn very quickly and become good at whatever you're doing. What's difficult is setting up the correct incentive structure for yourself, having mentorship to guide you through your learning process and correct you when you're wrong, and and most importantly, having similarly incredibly motivated others to undergo the process with. App Academy provides that part for you. Your motivation is the other part of the equation.

2. I met some incredible people through this experience from all places in life and had to pair program with all of them. I'm talking mothers with newborns, former flight attendant, master carpenter, professional poker players, never went to college, just graduated from college, biotech field alums, startup founders, people for whom english was a second language). Huge learning experience for me, and something you're just not going to get from self-study.

3. I loved building something end-to-end, learning how to figure out how to learn what you don't know in order to get something work, learning how to talk about your thought process cogently etc. These are all skills they drill into you here.