altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Online, Singapore

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (48) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Front-end Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Front End, Ruby, SQL
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites

• Lyla • Online Marketing • Student

I am learning to rekindle my childhood interests in computers and programming after years of working in online marketing. I am still working full time, so I can only spend nights and weekends to learn. And I prefer to learn from home, so my critera is an online program that is self paced. I spent quite some time researching different online coding schools. Most are very very expensive, in the 5k range even for a part time program. But then I found Altcademy, which offers pretty much the same syllabus as everyone else, and it's way more affordable. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but after I finished the first course, I knew I made the right choice. I have one warning though, their content is like 95% text, so it's not the regular video course like everyone else. You need to be sure you can learn from text before you sign up with them.

• Mind opening
      - 3/4/2020
      Olivia Hillis  User Photo
      Olivia Hillis • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Coding 101 made me finally realize that coding is not this scary monster I always thought it was. Coding is learnable and actually super exciting to be learned! The lessons are fun and well explained. It was the push I needed to have the courage to take a full coding course. 100% recommend!
    • codinng 101
      - 1/8/2018
      coinmaster4you  User Photo
      coinmaster4you • Student Verified via GitHub

Gave me great insight in coding. I had some html knowledge beforehand, but it was still very eye opening course on how you attack problems with as a coder or programer

• Michelle S Lee  User Photo
      Michelle S Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

The best thing about this program is how committed and helpful the mentors are! Students are given personal attention and contsantly provided with critical personal feedback on their work. The 1 to 1 mentor and student set up also allows for the curriculum to be wondefully flexible under the recommendation of the mentors and needs of the student. I've struggled to learn programming myself through other online courses and this mentorship really makes a world of a difference.

The curriculum itself is also well structured and makes use of the best freely available online resources. It also is more relevant and applicable than other courses I have taken before on programming.

• Fullstack program
      - 3/11/2020
      Glen Wong • Student
      This is my 4th month into the full-stack program and I am currently at the end of the dynamic web development course which teaches you how to build interactive front-ends with HTML and JavaScript. I have to build a simple game to complete this course.

The program provides lots of handson experience through exercises and projects. I have built at least 10 websites by now. Some of them are following tutorials and some of them are built completely on my own according to assignment goals. I got detailed feedback on all my assignments for bugs and improvements. This is a really good learning experience and good for building up confidence. There is a mentor that you can contact for help and guidance, this is very useful and worth every penny.

I don't have much to complain about the program really. But one thing I would mention is that I found it hard to stay focused early on, since you are always learning on your own. It took me at least a good two weeks to find my rymthm. So if you are thinking of signing up, you need to make sure you can learn in solitude, and have a study plan. My advice is that you need to be able to dedicate fixed timeslots on 3 to 4 days a week for studying and build a habit.
    • Fun course
      - 3/6/2020
      Harry Zheng • Graduate
      Coding 101 is a fun little course that teaches you the very basics of programming. You will learn about binary numbers, loops, conditions, and try to use them in a maze solving game. This has got me wanting to learn more programming. Everyone should do it, it's free!
    • Emily • Student
      The reason I chose Altcademy is because they are cheap. Cheap compared to most bootcamps.

The main concern I had before I made a decision to enrol is whether I will be learning less things due to the price difference. After some research, I realised most web development bootcamp's syllabus are very similar, the frontend is almost always the same: HTML, CSS, JS, React/Angular/Vue. The backend is either Node or Rails. And they all have some CS data structure and algorithms. So there is not much difference in the topics that you will learn whether it's a 15k program or a 1k program.

As for the learning experience, I would say I am happy for what I paid for. The program is self paced, but they do give you a study schedule to help you plan. There isn't any hand holding, but there is definitely a lot of hands on experience with assignments and projects. There is a chatroom where you can discuss with other students. My mentors are experienced enough to answer most of my questions and they seem qualified based on their linkedin profile.

I think the most valuable thing this program offers is the mentorship support. Having a dedicated person who you can go to for help makes learning much easier. I can't really compare the experience with the more expensive bootcamps because I don't know what they are like. But if you are not able to shell out 10k or more, my guess is this could be a good alternative.
    • Good program
      - 2/8/2020
      India Costa • UI/UX • Graduate
      The curriculum covers most fundamental concepts in frontend web development and is enough to get you prepared for some entry level roles. Especially if you have some experience with other roles in tech. If they could add some classes on automated testing, it would make the curriculum more complete. The content is mostly text based and easy to follow, with lots of exercises and walkthroughs. Mentors were very helpful and usually responded within the same day I asked them questions. I thoroughly enjoyed the program.
    • Patricia Duggan • Graduate

Fantastic starter course for anyone who is interested in learning about programming. The course is divided into 5 days and covers basic concepts such as what is coding, binary numbers, programming structures, how to solve complex problems, and actual coding exercises. I had a great time solving the maze exercise and will continue to take more free coding courses because of this.

• Annie Oneal • Graduate

This is a short and sweet intro to coding course and it's free. Everyday it will teach you a new concept and ask you to complete assignments. It also serves as a preview of their platform and paid programs. It was an eye opening experience for someone who has zero idea about coding. Definitely recommend.

• Charlie Wong • QA Engineer • Student

If you are looking for a good web development program with support, and finding a job is not your priority, then this is the right program for you. As it won't cost you an arm and a leg, but still provides an education that is robust, practical, and comparable to other popular platforms.

• Marissa Benton • Software QA • Student

I compared the curriculum of this program to other popular schools and this curriculum covers most of the common topics in web development. The content is easy to read and the exercises are just challenging enough to push my limits without being overwhelming.

My mentor is friendly, knowledgeable, and encouraging. I got very indepth feedback on all my coding projects from my mentor. All in all, I am happy with the program.

• Varun • Designer • Student

I have done some programming courses on other platforms before Altcademy. But I wasn't able to learn comprehensively because there were just too many choices, and choices are bad for beginners. Altcademy's strict syllabus helped me focus on learning the right things in the right order. I would recommend this to anyone who needs guidance in learning web development.

• David Lee • Student

I come from a non science background so learning how to code has been pretty hard. The algorithm exercises are really painful, I spent twice the time than the average student to complete the JavaScript part of the course. And I wouldn't have done it without the help of my mentor. If you don't have a science background like me, definitely try a few free coding courses before joining any paid programs. So you know if it is something you want to pursue. And make sure you join a program that has mentor support.

• Danica Blackmore • Student

I chose Altcademy because it's online, self paced, and at a price point that I can afford. With a full time job and kids, I can only spend about 5 to 10 hours a week learning, but still I feel that I am making enough progress and I don't have to backtrack too much. My mentor is very responsive and helpful, and is happy to answer things beyond the curriculum. This has been a very fruitful experience so far.

• Coding for fun
      - 11/12/2019
      Darmini • Student

Pros: This course is very enjoyable. The curriculum has both breadth and depth, lots of exercises and real world assignments. At the price they are offering, it's a steal.

Cons: The community is not as active as I would like. But the mentors are fast in their responses when I needed help, so I didn't have to struggle too much on my own.

• Athena • UI • Student

I am a digital graphics designer and I work with web developers a lot in my job. So learning front-end development is an obvious choice for me. I found this program to be well rounded, practical, and in depth. I am now capable of implementing my design in actual code, which is what I aimed to achieve.

• Tomas Perry • Student • Student

This course does a really good job covering the fundamentals. Apart from learning how to build websites, I also learned how to solve many common algorithm questions. I am confident that I have at least achieved the beginner level in programming and web dev. And I plan to continue to grow after this.

P.S. There is some career help where they help you with resume and interview questions, but no job referrals so I gave it a 3 star for that.

• Ruth • Self-employed • Student

There was a lot of material covered in this course. I spent on average 15 hours a week studying and managed to finish 80% in 4 months. I am nearing the end now and my mentor agreed to help me build a website for my business. I learnt a lot of practical things from this course and I am feeling more confident about building and managing an online business now.

• Michael Ryan V. Alimagno • Student

I just completed the Coding 101 course. I would say this is a good program to learn coding specially for beginners. I am amazed how the mentor is prompt in answering your question and it really is effective specially when you are stuck in a problem. I look forward to enrolling to nano major course.

• Indigo • Student

I joined to refresh my knowledge as I haven't been practicing my profession for many years. I think they did a pretty good job on explaining many of the concepts, and I majored in CS, so I don't say that lightly. Some improvements could be done on data structures though, as I can see this is can be hard for some beginners to grasp. Probably adding explainer videos with animation for certain concepts would be good. The mentors were really helpful as well when I asked them about more advanced topics that weren't covered in the curriculum. Overall, I really enjoyed the program.

• John Wang • Graduate

The reason I went with a bootcamp is because I want to be able to get help when I need it. I tried learning on my own, and it would get quite demoralizing at times when I couldn't figure out things for days. I know there are many free resources and forums out there, but I would just rather have a dedicated mentor that can help me. These guys were very responsive and they helped me solve my problems quickly. And their prize is amazing! No job assistance though.

• Ivan Pan • Student

I work in the finance industry but I wanted to learn another skillset. The course is very good, especially since I can learn at my own pace. The mentors are friendly and helpful.

• Coding 101
      - 9/6/2018
      Robbie • Student

I really like the little course for people who have little to or no experience with coding. It's a great gateway to learn a little bit of coding and how it can open up to more job opportunities because a lot of things are already done by computer. This was a great exposure of what is coding and such.

• Christos • Graduate

I joined to learn some skills to improve the web aspects of the family business. And I got what I was looking for.

• Lavinia • Graduate

First of all, the program doesn't promise any jobs at the end, or offer any job support. But the program did help me gain a solid foundation in full-stack development. I continued to work on my capstone project after finishing the program to improve my skills and managed to find an internship at a startup.

I would say for the money they charged, which is a huge discount compared to other similar bootcamps, they delivered an excellent experience. If you are looking to get hired immediately, you have to work a bit more after the program to prepare for interviews and polish your skills. You also need to research on the local job market on your own.

In total, I spent about a year from starting to learn how to code to getting my first job. It's a long process that not everyone should venture into. I give this program a 5 star because I got what I was looking for, which is good curriculum and support to help me build a out my full stack skill base.